“Not good food”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Not good food”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I ordered the lamb with Bernaise sause. The lamb was very over cooked and the bernaise sause had split, so there was just butter on my plate. I had to ask for my baked potato, that came later and it was only half potato!
Very over priced.
I don't think I will give them another chance.
The restaurant is though nice, staff friendly.

• Visited June 2012

• Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Zurich, Switzerland
“Unique and fun”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I have been to the Restaurant of the viking village many times and I keep coming back.
The restaurant is really cool with a unique design, the food is very good and you really get enough to eat. And the staff is very friendly and do a great job.
Most of the evenings you get musicians that sing viking songs which is a lot of fun.

• Visited March 2012
Järna
“ok”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Just like the hotel, and a bit overpriced.
Average fool, generous portions.

• Visited August 2011
Iowa
“That's All There Is?”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We made an advanced reservation and took the bus down to Hafnarfjordur from Reykjavik to eat at the Viking Village. We were really looking forward to it, having read that Viking waiters would serenade us and that one guest would be crowned a "Viking king". I think they must only do that with the tour groups, though, because we certainly saw nothing of the sort. The waiters were sort of semi-costumed (partially Viking and partially modern-day), and they played a CD of Icelandic folk music in the background. That was it for entertainment, and while the decor was amusing, it certainly wasn't worth coming all the way from Reykjavik to see.

The service was fine, and the food was actually very good. My dinner companion had the traditional Viking feast (dried haddock and putrified shark, seafood soup, lamb shank, and skyr with blueberry sauce. I ordered a la carte and had lamb soup, barbecued pork ribs, and the same skyr dessert. We had Brennivin and Gull beer, and also coffee. The portions were not enormous, but they didn't strike me as chintzy either. Everything was properly cooked and delicious. The dishes and cutlery reminded me of a Renaissance fair, and they certainly were in keeping with the theme.

This was the most expensive meal we ate in Iceland, coming to more than 17,000 ISK ($150) for dinner for two. Had we gotten the entertainment we expected with the dinner it would have been worth it and made a memorable evening. As it was, we frankly felt cheated.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank dmbia
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Overpriced”
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Nicely presented but we had various issues including the following -
Very expensive with small portions; my seafood dish was quite unpleasant as I could not tell what the unknown vegetables were in the bottom of the fishy liquid - mixed seafood gratin with garlic bread (the bread was good); we chose the quiet side of the restaurant as we did not want to be involved in sing songs but the singer still came to entertain us and we found it quite uncomfortable (a Viking serenading us with a Long Way to Tipperary?).

1 Thank CherryClift