Hotel Akureyri
Hotel Laugar(Laugar)
Hotel Laxa(Lake Myvatn)
Hotel Reykjahlid(Reykjahlid)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsno elevatorshort walk from the centresteep hillsideeasy parkingmake your own wafflescozy hotelsingle duvetsrooms are smallwould stay here againdesk clerkcarry your luggagehighly recommend hotelnice view of the fjordfantastic locationbreakfast buffetfree wififelt like home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We were 2 couples with reservations for 2 rooms for 3 nights. They had only one room available at the hotel. Instead they transferred us to one of their Hrafninn guest house. They did make a small adjustment to the room price. The rooms were nothing special. There was a kitchen available for our use. The buffet breakfast at the hotel was nothing special although they did offer fresh rolls rather than the typical commercial loaf of bread.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2014

The rooms are comfortable and extremely reasonable ($75/night in March). I got a room on the 4th floor with a great view of the fjord. The breakfast was well stocked and very tasty. It's a 3 minute walk to the center of town. But what stands out is the service. I ended up snowed in for two days in Akureyri (that's always possible when one travels to Iceland in the winter). My flight back to the U.S. was set for the next day. I had a rental car from SADCARS (a small company based only in Rekjavik with no office in Akureyri). The staff stepped in and saved the day. The desk clerk arranged a flight back to Rekjavik that day, and also made two calls to my car company. SADCARS first wanted to charge me $600 to come and retrieve the car. The clerk told me they had someone going to Reykjavik on Wednesday (4 days after the end of my car reservation) and they would drive the car back for me at no charge. He then got back on the phone with SADCARS and talked them into charging me $50/day for the four extra days...a total of $200. That's a great improvement from $600. And the staff did all this with no charge to me. I cannot recommend this hotel strongly enough.

Room Tip: The rooms on the fourth floor facing the fjord are great. But there is no elevator so it is a challenge carrying a heavy suitcase. I suspect the third floor rooms would have equally good views. But my fourth floor room had attractive gabled windows.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Joe B
Reviewed March 9, 2014

From the moment we stepped into the lobby of the hotel we were greeted with such hospitality and friendliness. My husband and I stayed in room 303 with it's fantastic views and a beautiful clean and fresh looking room with a fridge and a nice TV. Going downstairs to the lounge area, we were greeted again by the staff and were offered coffee and cakes to share with them. The coffee machine was free flowing all day if you wanted it and often a packet of biscuits appeared out of nowhere. There was a good assortment of breakfast items to choose from and the beautiful freshly baked home made banana bread was to die for. Staff were very informative of where to go and would look up weather conditons or Auora forecasts if you wanted. We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a nice place to stay as we would certainly come back here again. We also had free parking directly outside of the hotel. The town is a very short walk away and by reception is a very handy drink and snack cabinet should the hunger or thirst pangs start. Free wifi throughout the hotel. Well done Hotel Akureyri, we could not have asked for more.

Room Tip: Room 303 for fantastic views and a very quiet room
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lynne23Gosport
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Hotel is located just off Highway 1 close to all restaurants and shops. We had room 303 located at the front of the property overlooking the water. No noise issues despite facing the road but hotel is setback. Both receptionists were friendly and helpful giving us a parking pass if we wanted to park in the centre of town. Free parking outside of hotel Our room was clean and compact. Breakfast was acceptable including all the usual juices and cereals as well as breads meats and cheeses. Great value for money and would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Antony-Andrew
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Nicely located in town and comfortable. Unfortunately, our window gave on the hillside (which was rather close) rather than out over the water, but the room was clean and well-appointed.
The staff was helpful and breakfast wa up to Icelandic standards.
I'd go again, but ask for a room looking over the water.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple