“Very friendly staff. Good breakfast. Stayed 1 night.”

Hotel Edda - Akureyri
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Akureyri
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The staff was really nice. I booked a room with washbin only. That part of the hotel was not yet ready, so they upgraded me to a room with own bathroom. They first gave me a room in the first floor, directly next to the entrance. Since I needed a quiet room (because of very light sleep) they gave me a room on the top floor with view to the river.
The breakfast was good and they offer a varity of things to eat.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sallo T

Reviewed February 22, 2012

The Holiday Inn of Iceland, the Hotel Edda Akureyri was consistent with the other Edda hotels we stayed in. They had comfortable beds, clean rooms, and good plentiful breakfasts. For the price it's a good deal. They have triple rooms, if you are travelling with a child.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Vegas_Desert_Rat
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Campus style. Only about 20% overpriced when many other places are 40% overpriced from our non islandic point of view. Its the best of 5 Edda Hotel we have been, its largely run by very helpful students. Again although the very high standard buffets are expensive they definitely are worth a try even if you are on a tight budget, just starve elsewhere to compensate for it. Free car park. Wifi available in public areas is subject to a fee. Location within walk proximity to the center.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ramsay_bocuse
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Nothing wrong with the hotel but if we return we would stay some place else. The room and beds were fine but the it was all a bit to expensive. Poor value. We paid extra for a breakfast not better than a guesthouse. Would no recommend Hotel Edda.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bussqvist
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We also stayed here as part of a tour, and there definitely was an elevator in the part of the building in which we stayed. The converted dorm rooms were very spacious, which was a treat. Twin beds in the doubles (makes sense for a dorm), but puny pillows. May want to stuff with a t-shirt or something. The bathroom was large, with a stall shower. Only provied shampoo. No hairdryer. Surprised they didn't have better reading lights. Dinner buffet was excellent, but breakfast was standard with only hot food being boiled eggs.Not only do they frown upon taking food out of the dining room, but they wouldn't let us drink our own beer. Location is high on a hill, so walking back and forth into town is a project, but doable. There is a free city bus that runs only until 7 p.m. or so. Gorgeous botanical garden at back of dorm buildings. Even beautiful in the rain. Don't miss it.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travelfan
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I had two nights at this hotel during my tour around Iceland. The hotel is only used in the summer months for tourism, othertimes in school terms it used for student accomodations

The rooms are large with student desks and chairs. The beds are comfortable. The bathroom large and clean. I suppose it is OK.

The drawback for me with this hotel is that there is no lift/elevator, so it is not particularly good for anyone who can not walk stairs carrying suitcases. There is a small lift which goes only to the first floor, so if this a requirement one would need to request a room on this floor. This maybe usual/normal for this type of accomodation, because it was also in another Hotel Edda where this also occurred. In my opinion this needs review by the management. I do not how much the Hotel cost a night. it was booked for me as a part of the package.

Breakfast was very good. Like another Hotel Edda there was a sign on the tables informing people that they did not want guests to make lunches and dinners from the tables. I thought this was wonderful. I have seen so many people think breakfast buffets were the place to ensure they had sufficient food supplies for the day. Such a rude practice for guests to assume this. Well done management.

Akureyri is nice, a large town for Iceland I think, and has some nice eating houses. My guide and I tried these. We were impressed, or at least I was, and I think as was he.

The scenery here was wonderful, Lake Myvatn was lovely, and the midges were not at home that day, which was good. The roads driving into Akureyri were so scenic, really beautiful and I loved it.

The Botanic Gardens are close by, and a short walk through the car park.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Aussiegrannie
Reviewed August 18, 2011

As everyone says, it's hard to believe the Edda in Akureyri is a dorm off-season (but it's for a private school). The hotel is beautifully situated, with fabulous views, and very nice large and convenient rooms. However, my stay at the Edda was ruined by an obnoxious and unhelpful dining room manager. A meds situation means I can't eat early. I made myself a small cheese sandwich while sitting with my friends who were breakfasting (I clearly was not). This nasty (very) young man arrived and informed me that I could not remove the food from the dining room unless I paid for it. I pointed out my situation; he informed me he just didn't care. He said the rule was necessary to stop people from taking too much food from the restaurant. I suggested that perhaps his kitchen could make me the sandwich and deliver it to the front desk and other diners wouldn't know, but was uninterested in doing anything except making a big show about Enforcing The Rules. Ruined my whole feeling about the hotel and after that I couldn't get out of the place fast enough.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends