Open today: 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Ambassador Whale Watching tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Akureyri
from $271.36
from $2,104.22
from $151.78
from $114.98
More Info
All reviews humpback whales extreme tour harbour porpoise rib boat boat tour great trip smaller boat rough seas two hours marine biologist arctic circle three hours amazing experience snails great company once in a lifetime these guys
Reviewed October 11, 2016

Well worth venturing out in the cold temperatures and under overcast skies.

You need to be up close to these incredible creatures to understand how special they are...our fellow mammals, no less. Crew member Anna's factual information was exceeded only by her charm.

Memorable and frankly, a ton of fun!

1  Thank appurb
Reviewed October 9, 2016

I must say that I did not know what to expect, but it was really nice. We saw many whales and the tour was brilliant. They sell drinks and snacks, and it was nice to have on the way back. The staff was very good, speak good english and nice give good explanation of what we saw. Nice to stay on the deck and enjoying the view.
Fun both for local people and tourists!

1  Thank Thora K
Reviewed October 9, 2016 via mobile

We weren't exactly sure what we would be seeing. We thought maybe a whale or two from a far but no we got to see them up close and personal and the whole crew was wonderful! Had an amazing time. I would recommend this company to everyone!

1  Thank Ryanna K
Reviewed October 9, 2016

Whale watching on October 1st while so near to the Arctic Circle means we certainly expected to be pretty cold, so we bundled up really well before coming!! Once the boat left the dock it took a little under an hour to get to the staging area, and shortly after we got moving they offered everyone these very long raincoats that went down past your knees if you wanted one to cover your clothing. Shortly after we arrived to the staging area, our guide directed our attention to some blowhole action straight ahead of us, and the boat started following that way. As the boat followed the whales the water did splash up quite a bit, not to mention it rained sporadically throughout the tour, so the complimentary rain coats are definitely something to consider when offered.

Our guide was Stephanie, who was very knowledgeable and gave great information on the whales. The whales we saw were humpbacks, and there was a pod of four that we followed while a couple of other individual ones surfaced occasionally. I was surprised at how many we saw! I once took a seal watching tour in Scotland where we saw one seal pop his head up for five seconds and then leave, and that was it. I had my expectations set to that level, so I was very pleasantly surprised and very happy!

I would absolutely do this tour again, and am thankful for such a great experience!

1  Thank starsreminisce
Reviewed October 6, 2016 via mobile

I cannot explain how amazing this tour was! We started off worried that we wouldn't see any whales as the whale season ends in October, but we were in for a surprise of a life time. As our boat sailed further into the fjord and it got arctic cold our guide I can't remember her name began to educate us on the whales. She was so informative and enthusiastic! We spins spotted whales and it is one of the most incredible things I have ever witnessed in my life.

If you go on this tour please dress warmly and put the camera away for a while so you can actually enjoy what you are seeing!

1  Thank shammystar101