“Only good things to say, one of my favourite hostels in Europe.”

Akureyri Backpackers
Reviewed May 19, 2013

A damn good hostel. They keep the place spick and span and the facilities are impeccable. (Including an immaculately clean guest kitchen which is a welcome change). The staff are top notch - knowledgeable, efficient, and good for a laugh. Atmosphere is calm, sunny, cozy. It's so nice to have clean showers too with GOOD WATER FLOW, and the sauna is divine. It's truly in the best location you could hope for, and has a good laundry service (so many hostels leave your laundry smelling even more like old socks than it did before).
If you're a foodie, then prepare to enjoy the restaurant. They serve high quality comfort food along with creative variations on old favourites, all for a very reasonable price. I literally emptied my bank account in the restaurant because I couldn't stop trying the variety of dishes and cakes they were serving up. Be careful.
One of the biggest bonuses is that it is frequented by ACTUAL Icelanders (crazy right?) so it was really a pleasure to get to know the curious folks of Akureyri. Oh boy I could gush about this place forever, so I'll just leave it that Akureyri Backpackers is a superb base for exploring northern Iceland as well as an ideal place if you need a few days to rejuvinate.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Spent three nights here on holiday in April. Budget accommodation in Akureyri at this time of year is very limited so quite honestly the hostel could have been rubbish would have still been busy, it's therefore very nice to be able to say that the hostel was excellent.

The location was great location right in the centre of Akureyri , within easy walking distance of the bus stop and about a 20 minute walk to the airport. The funky bar area downstairs was good for meeting fellow travellers (and a free drink on arrival, most welcome!) The dorm was a good size, clean and simple, with good beds (although it could have done with some more power sockets!)

The staff were excellent, sorting any issues out quickly and giving some good advice on the local area, road conditions, and transport onwards. The hostel was fairly busy in April so I think in the Summer you may well need to book well in advance to get a bed!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had an awesome week staying here, the staff were all really helpful and answered our millions of annoying questions. They went out of their way to help us and I would recommend this backpackers to anyone. It was very clean and had a really good atmosphere. Thanks!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Definitely nothing bad about this place and style of lodging, however, being in Iceland before, I have accustomised myself for a different type of guesthouses.
When we arrived, we waited for a while, the bar place was packed. There is a certain system to a room and bed numbering, you have to sleep in a bed which you were assigned. All the facilities are downstairs, which is not as nice when staying in second floor. Location is great however, although you may expect some disturbance from the street, we have experienced some sort of street racing, but this is not hostel's fault. On the bright side, free wi-fi, the price itself and welcome beer is always a bonus.
I have stayed in several guesthouses around Iceland and I like those smaller ones, more personal approach. This property seems to look like a superfriendly place where people meet and chill and have a good time, to me it's more of a business thing which lacks the atmosphere I have seen so many times before.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tom C
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We have slept here in a share room for a one night and everything was just like you expect from backpacker accommodation. Welcome drink was a bonus, staff was fine and rooms were clean. The location is little bit noisy because the house is on the main shopping street in Akureyri.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Having checked it out on tripadvisor, we knew what to expect, but was still taken in by this places charms, facilities and employees. We were based on the top floor, all key fob entry to your level and room, so great security. Room was fresh and had everything you would expect a good hostel to provide. We had a nice view of the mountains and water and shared toilets were just across from us. These were very clean and more than adequate. The communal bar/lounge relaxation area was funky, original and the WiFi was great, plus the beer went down very well. We stayed two nights and the charm never wore off. We had breakfast on the last day, which was buffet style and was very good. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I went in a skiing trip for the weekend with people from school. We had a whole floor for ourselves, which was very nice. Everything about the hostel was excellent; The location is awesome, it is located right in the center of Akureyri. The staff was very nice, always at your service. The food, the brunch and breakfast took me by surprise, it was so good! The showers and the steamroom were awesome. The rooms are also quite comfortable, except that our room was located next to some club so there was quite a noise during the night. Despite that my stay was very much enjoyable.

What I like the most about my stay is the lobby. It is very cozy where people can gather together, and during the evening you can buy food and drinks. Also the bus seats are awesome!

I would highly recommend this place and next time I go to Akureyri and need an accomodation, I will most definitely visit Akureyri Backpackers again.

• Stayed: February 2013