“Totally amazeables!!”

Akureyri Backpackers
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Having checked it out on tripadvisor, we knew what to expect, but was still taken in by this places charms, facilities and employees. We were based on the top floor, all key fob entry to your level and room, so great security. Room was fresh and had everything you would expect a good hostel to provide. We had a nice view of the mountains and water and shared toilets were just across from us. These were very clean and more than adequate. The communal bar/lounge relaxation area was funky, original and the WiFi was great, plus the beer went down very well. We stayed two nights and the charm never wore off. We had breakfast on the last day, which was buffet style and was very good. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I went in a skiing trip for the weekend with people from school. We had a whole floor for ourselves, which was very nice. Everything about the hostel was excellent; The location is awesome, it is located right in the center of Akureyri. The staff was very nice, always at your service. The food, the brunch and breakfast took me by surprise, it was so good! The showers and the steamroom were awesome. The rooms are also quite comfortable, except that our room was located next to some club so there was quite a noise during the night. Despite that my stay was very much enjoyable.

What I like the most about my stay is the lobby. It is very cozy where people can gather together, and during the evening you can buy food and drinks. Also the bus seats are awesome!

I would highly recommend this place and next time I go to Akureyri and need an accomodation, I will most definitely visit Akureyri Backpackers again.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Greatplace, clean rooms, very friendly peopla at the desk, free drink of welcome, good ambient, sauna for free, clean bathrooms and showers. Breakfast ok. very well located. Its in the main commercial street of the town

Room Tip: all rooms are goods, I stayed in the 2 persons one. but my friends stay at the comunnal one and tehy...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I went to Akureyri for a ski-trip with my school in Jan 2013. We were a group of approx. 100 people and had the hostel all for ourselves. This hostel is great, so clean and the staff were very helpful :) They even suggested party-games and gave us some good tips for pub-crawling. The location is also great, right in the middle of town and you can walk to all the good places in Akureyri. The showers in the basement are very good and they also have a sauna. Well equipped kitchen for those who want to cook for themselves.

The only downside was probably the noise from party-people in the street but you can just bring ear-plugs if you are staying over a week-end.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This place was great! Super clean, nice staff- they even have a sauna! The bar was nice and there is a great brewery type place down the street. We were the only ones in our 6 person room and the staff made us a nice simple breakfast in the morning. The fire alarm did go off at about 2am but we were still up hanging out with fellow travelers so id din't bother us...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2013

What I liked best about the place is the location! Its right in the center of town so its easy to walk to everything. Reasonably clean and comfortable for a hostel. The staff are friendly and helpful.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We paid slightly more than when I'd looked up rates for that weekend a few weeks in advance but it was still very affordable (less than the hostel in Reykjavik on a weeknight). Its got a neat decorative style with lots of space to hang out outside of your room, old airplane seats next to overstuffed couches etc. There's a small bar where you get your free drink, coffee wine or beer. Not sure if there's limited drink options because all I wanted was Gull beer.

Everything was in clean and in great shape. The bathrooms were spotless and when we showered in the afternoon there was no one else in there. The hairdryers are a nice touch, especially because they are nice models that worked better than the one I'd brought from home. I would absolutely say this was the best bathing experience in our whole trip, not rushed or crowded by other people, not the least bit grossed out by the surroundings. The only complaint is that when I snuck over to the men's side I saw a steam room/sauna that the ladies' side didn't have.

The staff were very helpful in planning our night out in Akureyri, telling us which bars we would like and which we wouldn't (we even checked out the place they said we wouldn't be into, and they were right!) and which restaurants would be up our alley and accommodating to the one vegetarian. It was the only night for "going out" on our trip and we had the best time ever. the bar Gotubarinn at the end of the block is probably my favorite bar in the world now, and we went based on the tip from the front desk at the hostel.

The central location is as ideal as possible, especially if you are traveling without a car. Smack dab in the center of Akureyri on such a picturesque street. The bar in the lounge filled up as the night went on, but when we went back to the room upstairs none of the noise followed. When we overslept a little after a very long night, no one said boo about it when we checked out a little late.

Everything about this place made us feel comfortable and very welcome. I would highly recommend to others and can't imagine myself staying anywhere else in Akureyri on future visits.

Room Tip: If you're going to sleep early on a weekend night it might be useful to stay in a room that isn...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends