“Perfect place to stay in the center of Akureyri”

Akureyri Backpackers
Slovakia
“Perfect place to stay in the center of Akureyri”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

While looking for a place to stay in Akureyri, I was a little concerned when I heard the word "hostel" after previous negative experience with this type of accommodation in another country. Yet this was one of the best places we've stayed in Iceland, and yet - also the cheapest one.

If you don't mind the shared facilities, the showers below the ground floor, and the basic rooms, this is a perfect place for your stay. The reception area and the bar felt very cozy in the rainy evening, and you get a welcome drink on your first night (I believe we could pick either a beer or coffee). The hostel appeared to be very well cared for, everything worked and was extremely clean, including the shared facilities. The shared kitchen was reasonably large, but may possibly be crowded during the high-season.

Sadly, the weather was less than ideal during our stay so we didn't get to see much of the town and simply moved on next morning. But I really liked the area and would love to spend more time in Akuryeri if I ever get a chance. I wouldn't hesitate and would pick Akuryeri Backpackers again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Reykjavík
Reviewed October 29, 2012

In July 2012 my friend and I decided on going to Akureyri. It was a last minute kind of trip as we had just come from Landmannalaugar and returned to Reykjavik and wanted to continue travelling. So I started searching for vacant rooms in Akureyri. Finding a vacant room in Akureyri in July with such a short notice is next to impossible. We had found a room at Hotel Edda for the second night of our stay, but my search for a room for the first night was in vain. So we had packed the tent and decided on camping the first night - although neither of us was in the mood to do that.

But in the morning of the day we departed I came across a vacant room at Akureyri Backpackers - and for a reasonable price - ISK 11.180 for a double room. I had never heard of Akureyri Backpackers and it is a hostel, so I packed my pillow and my duvet and off we went after having reserved a room on-line.

We could not believe our luck when we arrived, the guesthouse is located in the very center of Akureyri, on their main street. So the view from our window was of the main stores in the shopping street. I absolutely loved it.

The room was spacious and very clean and they had duvets and pillows in a made up bed, so my duvet stayed in the car the whole time.

When we arrived we were the only ones in the hostel, but later on it got filled with guests. All of them tourists. I think we were the only Icelanders there.

We were on 4th floor and there is a balcony there with a great view of Akureyri. I so loved it there and will definitely stay there again.

There are shared toilets on each floor and the showers are in the basement. Akureyri Backpackers just opened a month before we arrived, that is why I had never heard of them before. So they had not finished everything and the showers had the same entrance for men and women, which I found kind of not cool. But they were in the process of fixing that.

There was a big kitchen on the ground floor with all the necessary kitchen utensils. We went to a restaurant so we did not use the kitchen though.

When we checked in and paid we got a coupon for a large beer in the bar, my friend drank hers, but I do not drink beer, so my coupon was kind of wasted on me. I tried to persuade the friendly guy at the bar to change the coupon for a glass of wine, but he was not allowed to do that.

The lounge had very comfortable seats from a bus. There are 2 big screen TVs in the lounge and Internet access plus free wifi.

The only thing that put a damper on our stay were the very loud Irish guys, who had been at a football match - and stayed up until 3 in the morning singing and shouting beneath our window. Our excursion was at 8 in the morning, so we were not amuzed. But this is not the fault of the hostel, our stay there was absolutely perfect.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Regina1965
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Great hostel with a pub on the main street. Very small kitchen and dining room for too many guests. Service very friendly and helpful. You can pay by credit card for all services. Next to the hostel a lot of restaurants, pubs and shops. At the weekend you can park your car in front of the hostel for free. Kitchen very clean and functional with plenty of equipment for cooking, but too many people wanted to do meals. Rooms very modestly furnished but clean. Throughout the hostel wifi works and is free. Bathrooms and showers are clean and available, but in the evening and the morning are often busy. On site you can purchase a variety of services and excursions. Linen can be hired. Each guest for accommodation is given a key to the room and other rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank poltramp
Amsterdam, Nederland
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Very friendly staff! They help you with everything you ask for.
Free WiFi across the whole building.
It's a really cheap place, but take into account you have no toilet in your room and the shower is in the basement.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Clean and tidy environment, friendly and helpful staff. Well equipped kitchen and bathrooms. Centrsl location, the only disadvantage is there is no elevator. Also there is a free welcome drink for all guests which was very nice....
Like this place very much, the most important is its low price!

• Stayed September 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Close to the bus station and the new tourist information centre, the excellent Akureyri Backpakers now meets the need for budget accommodation in the centre of town. The hostel was opened in May 2012. The house had previously been been left empty for 20 years. Features include lovely timber floors and curiously familiar bus seats which have been converted into surprisingly comfortable easy chairs A particularly nice touch is the free welcome drink voucher redeemable on arrival. Guests can also enjoy an excellent cafe at any time during the day..Free internet and wi- fi access is available. The young staff are friendly and courteous and happy to assist with tour bookings. The atmosphere is relaxed and the premises comfortable and spotlessly clean. The kitchen is well equipped In high season, it's probably a good idea to book in advance. Accommodation comprises spacious 4/6 and 8 person dormitories. Prices are extremely reasonable. The location has a considerable geographical advantage over the HI Hostel but Hafnarstraeti can attract expressive - and noisy -night life, particularly at weekends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Zwolle, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Clean, new, very nice and helpfull staff, well equipped, great guest kitchen, good location: nothing to complain about! The supermarkets in Akureyri are a bit far from the hostel, so make sure you buy enough food so you don't have to walk 30 mins every day... Or just eat out :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends