Akureyri Hostel HI
  • Restaurant
Torg Guesthouse(Akureyri)
Hotel Ibudir(Akureyri)
Orbitz.com
All reviewsbonus supermarketthe kitchenpots and pansgas stationroad tripone nighthot tubplenty of spacesitting areagreat roomtoilet and sinkon arrivalnorthern lightssmall townother gueststwo nightsreceptionist
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The building felt like a university residence. The rooms look like dorm rooms, a nice sized common kitchen, very clean dining area, laundry available in the afternoons, as well as a nifty sealed top porch area to eat in. Check in time is not very late at this hostel. Which was not a problem for us on that day. Our room came with a private tv and a sink in our room. The hostel is a small walk from downtown, but real close to a few grocery stores. Making it ideal for those looking to eat at the hostel. Those who do so might want to take a quick inventory of the cooking utensils before going to the store.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RGauvin
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Hostel was very clean and nice, good service, all very clean and good location. The reception was very good and the girl helped us to plan the day. Both things that one could do in Akureyri and around the town

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Paul s
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed here for one night as part of a round Iceland trip. On check in we found the lady on reception very helpful, very knowledgeable and easy to talk to. We were given a map of the city, directions to the key points, a voucher to a local restaurant and we were able to book a day whale watching in Husavik for our next step of the journey.

The hostel itself was really very nice. Our room was large and spotless with very comfortable beds and quite for a good nights sleep. The kitchen in a good size and well equipped and the bathrooms are clean with good pressure boiling hot water.

As we were driving to Husavik the next day for whale watching and needed to leave early we decided to go for a drive up to Goðafoss waterfall in the evening. It is well worth the trip and only takes about 40 minutes.

The hostel is well located and is right next to a Bonus Supermarket and N1 pertol station for supplies before heading up north.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Curious_traveller005
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I arrived at the Storholt Youth Hostel (HI Hostel Akureyri) on the 7th of June. Upon asking the desk how many days they had available they told me two and I would have to switch rooms from a 6 bunk dorm to a 2 bed room for my second day. I agreed to this even though it had been my intention to stay in the city for 3 nights. On the second day after gathering up my belongings I went up and they apologized as the person working the desk the day before was reading their bookings wrong and I didn't have to switch rooms. But they still charged me the higher rate of a two bed room for my second night even though I stayed in the 6 bed dorm! To make matters worse I went to the Myvatn Hot Springs on the 8th, I had my wet trunks and pair of underwear in a plastic bag when I returned. That evening they cleaned the room AND THREW AWAY MY TRUNKS AND UNDERWEAR! It didn't even look like trash! Anyone paying the slightest attention to what they were doing would be able to tell that they were about to discard someone's swimwear! Oh and the television only gets two channels in very poor quality, making it not only unnecessary but also useless. Cut my trip short, overcharged me, and threw my clothes away. I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Scott G
Reviewed November 29, 2012

It is a little bit of a walk out of town centre....but will only take you 10-15mins from the Tourist Info place right on the waterfront (well - without knee deep snow, like I encountered on my first night, which took me a bit longer) - and is WELL worth the effort! The place is spotlessly clean and comfy. The kitchen is wonderful and little glass verandah nook alongside it is especially pretty - especially during my stay looking out onto snowy park/trees. Staff are very friendly and helpful. If you are heading to Akureyri (and you should if you are in Iceland!) - then I can thoroughly recommend this hostel. And it has the added benefits of being almost next door to a BONUS supermarket and a Dominoes pizza shop - and only a short walk away from a delicious Bakery!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo