“Would stay here again”

Akureyri Hostel HI
Brampton, Canada
“Would stay here again”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed in a private room with washrooms down the hall. It was quiet when I was there and clean. The check in hours seemed to be more limited than other places. I was there in early afternoon and it was closed and I returned later to check in. The check in hours are 4 to 7pm. The wifi worked good out in the hallway but I had trouble getting a signal in my room. The only other negative about this place would be that it was the only hostel I stayed at in Iceland that did not provide a pillow on the bed. I used my sleeping bag to save on linens but other hostels still provided a pillow. It is an easy walk to downtown (if you are not carrying luggage anyway). I had a car and walked most of the time. They give a 15% off coupon for a nearby restaurant which had a good menu selection. Compared to the alternatives in Akureyri, I think staying here is probably the best option in town.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank Adventurer42

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aix-en-Provence
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I tried to call the Youth Hostel times and times again, a few hours before my arrival in Akureyri but no one would answer, just and answer machine that said "We're busy at the moment". The hostel is pretty far from the city centre, i walked there with my heaven bag and once i got there, there was a note on the door saying : "fully booked, please do not disturb". I'm not saying the place is not good, i couldn't get in there, but at least they could answer the phone...

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank virginie s
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I stayed at this hostel during a visit to Akueyri for a conference at the university. It is located about a 20 minute walk from the University and Downtown, but is very close to a mall, grocery store and two bakeries, which was very convenient. The rooms are average sized with 4-5 beds. There are desks and chairs in some rooms. I had to move rooms part way through the week, so one room had a sink and mirror which was nice. There is a really nice kitchen and study in the hostel. The bathrooms are small and single person, so if it is busy you may have to wait for a free shower. There is lots of lovely outdoor space, but it was never that nice when I visited to enjoy it. Wireless internet was great - it seems like many hotels in town do not have it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank KTAK150
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We stayed here two nights and thoroughly enjoyed both Akureyri (especially the surroundings) and the Hostel. The hostel is well set up, has a good location, is clean and friendly. The student receptionist working there during our stay was very helpful and efficient. She organised a horse ride for us (at a discount rate offered to all hostel guests). They also offer discount rates for the whale watching tours in Husavik and some restaurants. Of course, when staying at a hostel, you should not expect a five star hotel, you get what you pay for. For a hostel I found the communal rooms such as kitchen and bathrooms actually quite clean. The rooms themselves (we changed the second night) were absolutely fine and clean. The free Internet was a nice treat. Unfortunately we could not use the hot tub available in the garden, because the paint was being renewed. Would have certainly been nice. Overall, given the quite expansive rates for accommodation in Iceland, we were were happy with our stay at this hostel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
10 Thank stadtnest
Cincinnati
Reviewed February 20, 2010

This hostel was pretty busy when we were there. We only stayed for one night, so we did not have much interaction with staff or other travelers. What interaction we did have with the staff, they were very helpful. We had a 6 bedroom all to ourselves, which was great!! The rooms were very clean, but the bathrooms were pretty gross. We chose not to shower at this one. I would bring sandals to wear in the hostel, specifically in the bathroom, as they do not allow regular shoes in the hostels in an attempt to keep them clean. Overall, the price was great so it was a great value for the money.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2009

Brilliant hostel, very comfortable, single rooms available, free Wi-Fi, they gave me a discount for multi-night stay.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank Steven G
Montreal
Reviewed August 13, 2008

I had been wanting to travel to Iceland for some time when I decided to spend 2 weeks there in May-June 2008.
I spent the most amazing days of my life there in Iceland, and wish I never had to leave.

Most importantly, I had the opportunity, and might I add chance, to live with an Icelander for the duration of my stay in Reykjavik, except for the one night I spent at Storholt Youth Hostel in Akureyri.

In itself, Akureyri is a breathtaking town. No more than 18 000 inhabitants. Its surroundings are surreal. It is surrounded by mountains with eternal snow, and a beautiful fjord. I must say that I fell in love with Akureyri from the moment I landed at the Akureyri airport.

The hostel is impressive. Free unlimited internet access for those who, like me, like to keep in touch with their families while they're away. Clean comfortable rooms with a TV (!!). Great staff. And it is well located within the town, only 15 mins walk to the main street.

All-in-all, I had an amazing stay at the hostel, and will go back in a heartbeat when I get the chance to go back to Iceland.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank rOckie_horrOr