“My fave port on our cruise”

Inspiration Iceland
Ranked #2 of 35 Tours in Akureyri
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Looking for an authentic, inspirational and refreshing day tour, dog sledding tour, a wellbeing & adventure or yoga week? We guide you to the hidden Pearls of the North, exquisite, unique, individual experiences for you, not the crowd. In English, German, French & Italian. Warmly welcome to Akureyri, the pure North of Iceland.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Would have loved to have stayed here longer. A beautiful place. We had a leisurely stroll around the town before boarding our coach for the tour organised by the cruise. Don't waste your money, book locally.... Much cheaper and sure a better service would have been given.

3  Thank juec
in 59 reviews
"andreas"
in 96 reviews

Reviewed August 20, 2013

For anybody thinking of being herded around in a coach organised by a cruise ship, spend the day with Andreas in his big Land Rover instead. You can book the trip online, he'll be waiting for you by the quayside, and you'll have a far more personalised, interesting day out. We did, and we cannot recommend it highly enough. By going as a small group (there we three in our family, joined by a couple of others from the ship who walked up on the day), you can have a tour tailored to your own interests and physical abilities. Andreas is a charming and interesting host, who will show you all the sites of interest in the area and accompany you too, unlike the coach tours which will tip you off at each stop and say "be back here in 45 minutes". Whilst everywhere Andreas took us was on the beaten track, so to speak, there's not much in the way of amenities, so you should bring a packed lunch and drink with you, or at least tell Andreas in advance that you'll need a refreshment stop, or he'll just plough on enthusiastically. Our day in Akeyuri was probably the highly of our 14 night Iceland and Norway cruise, and that's high praise indeed. Highly recommended.

3  Thank CherryHintonBlue
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My friends and I spent several nights in mid-May at Inspiration Iceland's rental apartment, which is perfect for up to 4 people (as long as 2 of them don't mind sleeping behind a folding screen in a comfy bed off the living room). The apartment was fully furnished and very comfortable,with a TV (we watched the Eurovision contest, which I'd never seen before) and wifi. We called Andreas the first morning we were in Akureyri to set up a full-day sight-seeing tour to Lake Myvatn the following day. What a spectacular trip! Andreas is a great guide, extremely knowledgeable about the area, its history, wildlife, and folklore, and the area itself is mind-boggling. He also took us to eat the best food I had in Iceland (and Iceland has plenty of tasty food) at Cafe Borgir - don't hesitate to try the Arctic Charr with geyser bread. There were only five of us on the tour, including Andreas and his newly arrived volunteer, Simon, so it was pretty much a private tour in a roomy 4 wheeler - we were definitely spoiled.No scene went unexplained, no bird was unidentified, and every question we asked got answered. Andreas had everything well-planned, ending our day with a long soak in the nature spa and even playing us examples of Icelandic and Faroese music on our drive back so we (and he, I suspect) could relax. On our way back to Akureyri, we stopped at his house and met his huskies - after meeting them, I wished we'd had enough time for the husky hike that Inspiration Iceland also offers. I can't decide what part of the day was the best - the sulfurous, eerie Devil's Cauldron? The pseudocraters? The otherworldly rift? The nature spa was definitely a highlight... :) If I make it back to Iceland, I will definitely be setting up more tours with Andreas - he's an all-around nice person and a great guide. (He even recognized me several days later when he and his wife ended up in Reykjavik and stopped to say hello!)

1  Thank Kathy W
Reviewed March 7, 2013

In Akureyri, we spent 3 nights in an apartment rented from Inspiration Iceland and we were received by the best guy Andreas (guide of Inspiration Iceland) we met in Iceland. We received the best advice for our itinerary there and were all along accompanied by the knowledgeable and professional guide Andreas. With Andreas, it really felt like travelling with a friend rather than with a guide. He cared for our needs and looked close to our safety. The Lake Myvatn (the volcanic area with bath) tour is amazing and we had a fantastic trip in Akureyri. Both the apartment and the trip arrangement from Inspiration Iceland are highly commended!

1  Thank kelvinchu
See more reviews
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My group was admittedly clueless when booking the portion of our vacation for Akureyri. I contacted Inspiration Iceland and was very patiently walked through the information by the owner, Andreas. Ultimately, we spent two full days with Andreas and it was the highlight of our time in Iceland. The first day we took a long snowshoe walk down the fjord, giving us a chance to enjoy the beautiful scenery while we walked. I was accustomed to snowshoeing, but my two friends were new to the sport, and had no difficulty with it. From on top of the fjord, we got to enjoy the vistas and beautiful scenery all around us. When we reached the bottom, we went to Andreas' home where we met his wife and their Siberian huskie puppies. It was the perfect way to relax after our long hike.
The following day, Andreas again picked us up from our Akureyri hotel, and we went on a tour in the Landrover to Godafoss, Lake Myvatn, the Pseudocraters Skutustadir, the lava formations at Dimmuborgir, The Grjotagja rift, bubbling hot geothermal mud pools, and finally the Myvatn nature bath. It was a magical day, Andreas has a lot of information to share, in several languages (!) about the amazing countryside. If you are interested in a tour company that is outside of the motorcoach, cookie-cutter mold, got with Inspiration Iceland. My friends and I disagree over what was the "best" part of the two days, but we absolutely agree that we can't imagine having as good a time with any other tour company!

1  Thank DianaNinja