“Ask for Siggi - best tour guide!”
Review of Saga Travel

Saga Travel
Experience for Yourself
More Info
$228.56*
and up
Private Tour: 'Game of Thrones' North of the Wall Locations and Mývatn Nature...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Saga Travel is creative and dynamic family company. The core goals of Saga Travel is to provide exceptional tours and guided experiences that are fun, safe, exciting and educational. All our guides are local professionals that are highly qualified and experienced, who know the land like the back of their hand and are storytellers at heart.
Seattle, Washington
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Ask for Siggi - best tour guide!”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed at Dimmuborgir Guesthouse, who kindly helped us arranged a self-tailored superjeep tour to Dettifoss/Selfoss/Hafragilsfoss + Viti crater during our stay there on March 28 recently. the person assigned to us is Siggi, who works for Saga Travels but live in Myvatn on his farmland! at this time of the year, it's quite tricky to get to these places yourself if the road is not plowed even with a regular 4x4 SUV. and we are very lucky and glad to have Siggi brings us there in the end in his Nissan Superjeep. Since there are only 4 of us, we didnt take the monster superjeep vehicle, which i believe is normally used to accomodate a bigger group. nevertheless, we have sufficiently high clearance (along with skillful driving from Siggi) to get to the places we want (important!!!)

Siggi is such a pleasure to be with and an excellent conversationalist. He provided us intriguing information on the geological history and happenings of Iceland, especially in the Myvatn area. He's the first employee of Saga Travel since it was established 14 yrs ago, and believe me, he has a wealth of knowledge and experience as a tour guide! He's also constantly on the lookout for our safety (e.g., dont step on unknown piles of snow which is close to the cliffs to waterfall since it may break apart under our weight). Beyond the Viti Crater, he brought us up to a vantage viewpoint that is usually off the beaten track and we are rewarded with a stunning 360 degree view of snow-capped mountains, along with the azure blue waters of the Arctic Ocean in the distance.

Highly recommend Saga Travels and Siggi. Go for it!

2 Thank mrcapybara

• Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Magical Northern Lights”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We took the Lake Myvatn Afternoon and Evening Tour Package. Everything on the itinerary was as promised – seeing the frozen Waterfall Godafoss, gazing at the stars while immersing ourselves in the Myvatn Nature baths, and of course, the breathtaking magical Northern Lights. Armann was our Tour Guide cum Driver. I felt safe sitting in the mini bus as Armann drove up the winding mountain covered with beautiful white snow where one could not tell if there was even a paved road. (The road is paved, except it was snow covered!) Armann was resourceful, patient and persistent, he drove us around searching for the Northern Lights. We stopped at a location where we could almost touch the Northern Lights. The Northern Lights were just above our heads …

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Angelina H
Guelph, Canada
“Northern Lights”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

This tour was great! The tour guides were the best that I have ever had. The tour was very focused on the participants and was not rushed. We moved on when everyone was ready, not based on a tight timeline. I would highly recommend this tour company!

Akureyri, Iceland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“So worth it!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

I upgraded my my Northern Lights package to an all day tour and I am so delighted I did. First, our guide, Jorgensen Sigurdsson, was more like an old friend showing us around his beloved home than a tour guide. He was equally well versed in history and the science of this remarkably complex and fascinating country. We saw a magnificent waterfall, bubbling mud flats. We stood in the steam vent surrounded by stones colored bright acid green from the sulfur (a natural facial and it felt great in the cold air.) we saw a geo thermal power station and a bread oven in the ground where the local people baked geyser bread! We got to sample it later at a wonderful restaurant where our meal was part of the tour. The geyser bread was served with home smoked char. The salad topped with homemade cheese made from the milk of the cows we saw milked through a picture window in an adjacent barn. The vegetables were grown in local geothermal hothouses. We saw lava fields and a landscape of lava columns called Dark Cities. We saw volcanic craters and the beautiful Lake Mytvia(sorry re: spelling). We visited the cave where a famous outlaw hid for an entire winter.After dinner we sat outdoors in a natural hot spring and sauna and then went hunting for the aurora. There was heavy cloud cover, so no lights. But was I disappointed? How could I be? I'd seen so many natural wonders in one day I can't list them all. Tonight, Saga is going to give us a free second try at seeing the lights and (knock wood) the sky is clear right now. I highly recommend this tour company

Minnesota
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Excellent tour co.!”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I was so glad I jumped on the Saga Travel bandwagon and upgraded my Northern Lights tour (booked with an Icelandair package) and got the deluxe version of the tour. It included a small bus tour to Gothafoss (a beautiful waterfall near Akureyri), craters, Icelandic horses, a hike through Dimmuborgir, a group dinner at a dairy farm, a trip to the Myvatn baths, and the Hverir mud pots. Of course, the highlight was seeing the Northern Lights for about six hours in the evening! Our excellent guide Jorgen pointed out interesting sites and facts along the way. The lights were fantastic, and sitting in the Myvatn nature bath underneath them while they sparkled above was an amazing experience. Later on, the white lights turned green and purple, though not as bright as the postcards in the gift shops. Be warned: pictures of the lights turn out black unless you have a special camera. The regular tour would have only been for a couple of hours, but the upgraded version was all afternoon and evening, and well worth it. If your Saga Travel guides pick you up from the airport and plug the upgraded version on your way to the hotel, take the chance and book it!

Visited February 2014