“Magical Northern Lights”

Saga Travel
Book In Advance
$236.79*
and up
Private Tour: 'Game of Thrones' North of the Wall Locations and Mývatn Nature...
$235.90*
Lake Myvatn Classic Tour from Akureyri
$265.54*
Lofthellir Cave Exploration from Akureyri
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Saga Travel is creative and dynamic family company. The core goals of Saga Travel is to provide exceptional tours and guided experiences that are fun, safe, exciting and educational. All our guides are local professionals that are highly qualified and experienced, who know the land like the back of their hand and are storytellers at heart.
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Magical Northern Lights”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We took the Lake Myvatn Afternoon and Evening Tour Package. Everything on the itinerary was as promised – seeing the frozen Waterfall Godafoss, gazing at the stars while immersing ourselves in the Myvatn Nature baths, and of course, the breathtaking magical Northern Lights. Armann was our Tour Guide cum Driver. I felt safe sitting in the mini bus as Armann drove up the winding mountain covered with beautiful white snow where one could not tell if there was even a paved road. (The road is paved, except it was snow covered!) Armann was resourceful, patient and persistent, he drove us around searching for the Northern Lights. We stopped at a location where we could almost touch the Northern Lights. The Northern Lights were just above our heads …

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Angelina H

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Guelph, Canada
“Northern Lights”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

This tour was great! The tour guides were the best that I have ever had. The tour was very focused on the participants and was not rushed. We moved on when everyone was ready, not based on a tight timeline. I would highly recommend this tour company!

Visited March 2014
Akureyri, Iceland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“So worth it!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

I upgraded my my Northern Lights package to an all day tour and I am so delighted I did. First, our guide, Jorgensen Sigurdsson, was more like an old friend showing us around his beloved home than a tour guide. He was equally well versed in history and the science of this remarkably complex and fascinating country. We saw a magnificent waterfall, bubbling mud flats. We stood in the steam vent surrounded by stones colored bright acid green from the sulfur (a natural facial and it felt great in the cold air.) we saw a geo thermal power station and a bread oven in the ground where the local people baked geyser bread! We got to sample it later at a wonderful restaurant where our meal was part of the tour. The geyser bread was served with home smoked char. The salad topped with homemade cheese made from the milk of the cows we saw milked through a picture window in an adjacent barn. The vegetables were grown in local geothermal hothouses. We saw lava fields and a landscape of lava columns called Dark Cities. We saw volcanic craters and the beautiful Lake Mytvia(sorry re: spelling). We visited the cave where a famous outlaw hid for an entire winter.After dinner we sat outdoors in a natural hot spring and sauna and then went hunting for the aurora. There was heavy cloud cover, so no lights. But was I disappointed? How could I be? I'd seen so many natural wonders in one day I can't list them all. Tonight, Saga is going to give us a free second try at seeing the lights and (knock wood) the sky is clear right now. I highly recommend this tour company

Visited March 2014
Minnesota
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Excellent tour co.!”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I was so glad I jumped on the Saga Travel bandwagon and upgraded my Northern Lights tour (booked with an Icelandair package) and got the deluxe version of the tour. It included a small bus tour to Gothafoss (a beautiful waterfall near Akureyri), craters, Icelandic horses, a hike through Dimmuborgir, a group dinner at a dairy farm, a trip to the Myvatn baths, and the Hverir mud pots. Of course, the highlight was seeing the Northern Lights for about six hours in the evening! Our excellent guide Jorgen pointed out interesting sites and facts along the way. The lights were fantastic, and sitting in the Myvatn nature bath underneath them while they sparkled above was an amazing experience. Later on, the white lights turned green and purple, though not as bright as the postcards in the gift shops. Be warned: pictures of the lights turn out black unless you have a special camera. The regular tour would have only been for a couple of hours, but the upgraded version was all afternoon and evening, and well worth it. If your Saga Travel guides pick you up from the airport and plug the upgraded version on your way to the hotel, take the chance and book it!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Lora18
Denver
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Northern Lights Tour”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed the Northern Lights tour and although we didn't manage to see them up north (we saw them in Reykjavik) we had a great time with our tour guides.

We also took advantage of a tour to the north and the fjords, thru tunnels and to the herring museum. It was a fun and interesting day and we had a very congenial group.

In the evenings we chased the Lights, which escaped us as there was cloud cover or we were just out of the area where they chose to be. Our tour guides made it fun and took us to other places like the sod houses and little churches, where we could wait for the Lights and see a bit of Iceland's history.

They always had hot chocolate and Iceland donuts and would tell us stories of the Trolls and Sagas.

It was a great trip and I'll be back with Saga Travel for some more adventures!

Visited January 2014