“Lake Myvatn Excursion - great experience”
Review of Saga Travel

Arctic Coastline and Micro Brewery
Ranked #4 of 33 Tours in Akureyri
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Saga Travel is creative and dynamic family company. The core goals of Saga Travel is to provide exceptional tours and guided experiences that are fun, safe, exciting and educational. All our guides are local professionals that are highly qualified and experienced, who know the land like the back of their hand and are storytellers at heart.
Reviewed February 21, 2013

First of all I would like to say, that I normally explore country sides and places my own way.
BUT taking excursion with Anton Saga's tour guide was the best decision I have made.
Anton was very enthusiastic and passionate in his way of explaining things and was more of a friend than a guide. Able to answer all questions that our group had for him. I have to say going there by yourselves you will miss out all the stories and knowledge that he is more then confident share.

1  Thank TravelerD4
Write a ReviewReviews (1,077)
All reviews
in 17 reviews
"blue lagoon"
in 32 reviews

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Siddi the excursion guide arrived at the hotel for pick up on time . The excursion involved travel in a super jeep during winter to Lake Myvtan and surrounding area.There were 4 passengers. Unfortunately the seating of the vehicle was somewhat cramped with one passenger having to sit sideways in the back of the vehicle. However this slight discomfort was more than compensated for by the excellent guide, Siddi. Siddi was exceptionally knowledgeable. He was friendly, incredibly helpful in assisting 2 of the more elderly passengers (myself included). The excursion was a definite highlight of my stay in Akureyri, North Iceland. The tour included visits to lava fields, boiling mud pots, pseudo craters, the magnificent waterfall, Godafoss culminating in a relaxing soak in the geothermal waters of the Lake Myvtan Nature Baths. The general scenery and landscape which we drove through was nothing short of stunning. Siddi was obviously keen to show his tourist passengers the best the area had to offer. He was an excellent guide. The excursion was a full day tour, very highly recommended

1  Thank Chris556Sydney
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have recently returned from a 6 day holiday in Iceland, 2 of which were spent in the north of the country. We went on the Northern Lights trip with Saga. The tour guide Armond was very informative, helpful, friendly and above all entertaining which was most important as we were unable to see the lights through the cloud coverage. Thanks to Saga's first class service and the personality and charisma of our tour guide we very much enjoyed our evening and were delighted to be offered a second try for the following night. To our delight the second try was a success and we were treated to a fantastic light show and got to spend a second evening in the company of Armond, whose obvious enthusiasm for his job enhanced the experience even further. Truly wonderful.

Whilst in the North we also did the Lake Myvatn trip and I'm happy to say that this was the most incredible excursion I've ever been on. Picked up promptly from our hotel by yet another first class tour guide (Siggy) we were treated to a full day of waterfalls, geothermal activity, myths and legends, top notch food in the Cowshed restaurant and an unforgettable soak in the Myvatn Nature Baths, all as the sun set on the most beautiful sky i've ever seen. Siggy was very entertaining, informative and extremely helpful. His enthusiasm and love for his homeland was infectious and left me wishing I could have spent at least another day there. The impromptu and unexpected jeep ride onto the frozen lake is a moment i'll never forget! Delivered safely back to our hotel after the most incredible day, all that was left to say was thank you Saga for the best experience of my life!

Going to Iceland? Visit the North and let Saga take care of you. I cannot recommend them highly enough. FIRST CLASS

2  Thank Mark W
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband was not keen to pay £100 pp for 1 hour's snowmobiling - but I insisted! We had a wonderful experience. The mini bus with our guide picked us up punctually from the hotel and drove the half hour to the site. There were only 4 of us (+ the guide) on this trip. We were blessed with a stunningly beautiful day. bright sunshine and barely a cloud in the sky. We were well briefed on what to do and kitted out with all the requisite equipment. My husband and I were sharing a snowmobile and he wanted to "drive" first. The instructor showed us the simple operations and we were off. If one of us got a little behind - he waited until we caught up. Driving in a staight line through some one else's tracks was a little tricky. It was simpler to go slightly to the side and drive through fresh snow. He checked we were all happy at one of our short stops and we were off again. At one point we stopped to look at a lovely small waterfall - which meant climbing (on foot) up a steep hill. There was no way we felt we could get down on foot - so all enjoyed a great slide on the snow!

After our hour we were taken back to the lodge for tea/coffee/hot choclate - that was most welcome and then we were driven back to the hotel.

It was an absolutely amazing experience - and if it weren't so expensive - I'd be up for it again any day!!