“One of the highlights of my trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Skjaldarvik Tours
Ranked #10 of 24 Tours in Akureyri
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Skjaldarvik Tours provides Riding and Buggy tours. We offer short riding tours in the area surrounding Skjaldarvik, where people get a chance to learn about the Icelandic horse under expert supervision. We also offer guided Buggy tours a fun way to to do something different, enjoy nature while driving a Buggy, All necessary safety equipment is included like helmets, gloves and water resistant overall, all you need is a driving license and be ready to have some fun!
Cologne
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“One of the highlights of my trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I ended up doing my first horse riding tour at Skjaldarvik simply because they were at the time the only ones who offered pick-ups for one person in Akureyri. Let me preface this by saying that I've never been on a horse before, I have two left hands and feet, I'm as unfit as they get, I'm super anxious about hurting myself, and scared of most animals, including horses and dogs.

Keep this in mind when I say that Dísa and the girls who did the tours deserve a trophy for the way they shaped my experience. They were warm and caring, patient with the most ridiculous problems and questions, and always took care of everyone, even in a larger group. My anxiety crumbled away quickly, and in the end I returned three times during my six days in Akureyri.
(Unfortunately, this was an experience I was not able to repeat elsewhere in Iceland afterwards, so the Skjaldarvik team deserve full credit for this.)

It wasn't just the horse riding, it was the whole package, staying around Skjaldarvik for the whole day, soaking in the hot tub, spending time with the family as if I was their house guest. You couldn't imagine a host more charming and endearing than Dísa, and her many stories about Iceland have stayed with me even a year after my trip.

If you're in the area, there is not a single excuse to miss this.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank M S

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

We took a 1,5 hour riding tour at Skjaldarvik. I had been on the back of a horse 13 years ago and my better half had never ridden before, but the tour suited us perfectly. They picked up the horses based on your skills, so if you're unexperienced or even a bit scared you get the easiest horse to handle.

It was such a lovely experience and the views amazing! The staff at the stables were very friendly, too. Highly recommended!

Visited July 2012
Akureyri, Iceland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A great place to go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

This was the perfect place to go for horse back riding. especially for beginners (which we were) but we were with a couple that were experienced and they were able to do advanced stuff. They will pick you up from town and drop you off again. There is also a hot tub you can take advantage of if you want to.

Visited July 2011