“Hilltop peace and quiet”

Icelandair Hotel Akureyri
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Akureyri
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The sun is setting now over themountains to the West of this hotel. All is quiet! And beautiful!

The standard hotel rooms are bigger than most European hotels. Very clean, and modern. Wall of windows (which can get the room quite hot in the afternoon, so pull the drapes!)

Lobby is spacious and nicely set up with small seating groups, conducive to talk or playing games. The bar is within this space, and it is easy to find a place to relax.

You will need to relax once you have climbed the hill several times, as we did, visiting the town center. This could be a drawback, but we found it pleasant to walk through the town on the side streets. All the residents were very friendly.

Staff is young but helpful. Very very nice....set up spa appointments and worked out logistical problems for us with out hesitation.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face WEST....lots of afternoon sun, but nice for sleeping in mornings! Pull the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We really enjoyed our time here. We were able to check in early just after we arrived in the morning so we could explore the town. It had a great lobby bar with good atmosphere and we could watch the snow fall out the window. The restaurant had a small menu but the food was good quality and very tasty.

The rooms themselves had lots of space but the bathroom with glass door did not give much privacy for using the toilet!

The free use of the local pool was fantastic, great facilities and lovely hot pools.

The hotel is on a great spot up the hill only a few minutes walk from the town centre but there are great views. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed here for two nights as part of my Icelandair package. I decided to upgrade my room and got one with a view overlooking the pool and town.
The room had been refurbished and was very comfortable. The shower was very powerful and the toilet and sink area had a very nice opaque glass sliding door.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful which I appreciated as I was a solo traveller.
The breakfast was a continental one with very fresh bread to slice and hot coffee.
The walk back up the hill was pretty bad but you can get a number 4 bus from the car park near the HOF centre which is free. It went around a lot of Akureyri so I enjoyed seeing all of that.
The local thermal pool is just over the road and reception provided a free ticket to use it. It was lovely swimming in the warm water with the snow all around and there were several hot tubs to relax in. I did spend quite a while trying to get my snow boots back on afterwards until I saw a local lady using the long shoe horn that was provided!!!
I ate in the hotel restaurant one night before the Northern Lights trip and had very good lamb chops.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel is part of a chain of hotels owned and operated by Icelandair. It is very similar is design and feel to the Natura Hotel in Reykjavik also owned by Icelandair.

The hotel is loacated at the top of a steep hill about two blocks from the main street of Akureyri. The lobby is open and welcoming with a bar and sitting area that has a fireplace. There is not much of a view from this area.

The rooms are simple and clean. The floors are light colored wood and the walls are white. The furnishings are also light. There is enough room for two, but not much extra room to move around. Our room on the fifth floor had a view of the hills where we could see the low mountains and moon at night.

The breakfast buffet was good with many choices of meats, cheese, cereal, toast, fruit etc.

The hotel is located across the street from the city swimming pool which can be accessed by people staying at the hotel.

The walk around town is interesting and takes only a couple of minutes down the hill to reach the main area. There are a selection of restaurants in town and there is a restaurant in the hotel. All restuarants in Iceland are expensive since Iceland imports almost all their food. The walk back up the hill is steep but is OK especially if it is not snowy or icey.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors to improve your chance of seeing over the other buildings in town...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This hotel was part of our 6 day package deal at the end of Feb, which also included The Northern Lights Tour through SAGA tours. BTW, we were able to see them, the tour guides did a great job & just fantastic to see them! This met some of our criteria for making this trip. We upgrade our room for about $30 extra per night for the the 2 nights and was not disappointed. We were on the top 5th floor and could look over the city, plus with wifi in our room, a nice flat screen on the wall, wonderful shower, a truly well organized relaxing space. Another great breakfast buffet, very similar to Icelandair's Natura. We also decided to take a little relaxing afternoon to sit in the lobby and order afternoon tea. The 3 tiers was heavily loaded with sandwiches, sweets and fruit, LOL...Icelandic style. You could walk down the hill to the main part of town for shopping with a nice bookstore and coffee house on the corner. A nice place to sit down and get your bearings. The town of Akureyri is very quaint with a smalltown feel. This was our favorite !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kattm2000
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just spent 2 nights at this hotel and thought it was very good. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Great choice for breakfast but menu in restaurant for evening meals is a bit limited. Hotel located up steep hill from town but great views of the nearby mountains from top floor rooms.

If you upgrade from standard rooms then wifi is included in the room rate and cost of upgrade was fairly reasonable.

Rooms lack many toiletries - soap by hand basin and shampoo in shower but no conditioner or body lotion.

Room Tip: Upgrade from standard room so you are on higher floor and ask for view towards mountains
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here recently for 2 nights as a part of an Icelandic Air package. The hotel is beautifully decorated in a clean Scandinavian style. I chose to pay extra (about $30/night) for a room on the top (5th) floor with a lovely view out over the fjord and part of the town and to have wifi included. Unlike the Icelandair Hotel Natura in Reykjavik, when you purchase this upgrade they will allow multiple devices for the wifi use. In the latter hotel, you must pay for wifi each day for *each* device. Still cranky about that.

The staff are superb. Very helpful, very friendly. The included breakfast was more than adequate even though there was no hot meats/potatoes/eggs. You can make your own waffle, and then there's cereals, hot porridge, hard-boiled eggs, pickled herring and condiments, sliced cheeses and cold meats, breads and spreads, fruit, Skyr..... so interesting to see a bottle of cod liver oil available! ;) Beside the reception desk you can purchase sandwiches, drinks, candy and such for a reasonable price. Sandwiches were 750 kr. I had a sandwich for dinner both nights and they were fresh and quite tasty. A welcome specialty bar drink came with my package and it was yummy. I didn't utilize the wine bar/bar otherwise but it looked like a brilliant system they had set up.

My room was great. I had no trouble with the shower water escaping. The room size was just fine for my use. The bed and bedding were lovely. I don't mind sleeping with a sheeted duvet. The room was very quiet.

Town buses are free and there's a stop right outside the hotel. I know some people walked into town but I chose to bus. It's very quick to get into town, and the ride back takes a while but gives you a tour of residential areas that I found interesting.

One of the best things about this hotel is that it's across the street from the town geothermal-heated pool complex - with maybe 9 different pools. It was fantastic. I wish I'd had time to go there every day.

Excellent facility. Really fine staff. Very pleased.

Room Tip: I was given the choice of a fjord or a mountain view. I chose fjord, but in retrospect, I would have...
1  Thank vanberk1