Review Highlights
The Game of Thrones Tour

We booked the Game of Thrones Tour and were absolutely amazed. Of course you can do some research... read more

Reviewed October 20, 2018
Yggdrasil1990
Wonderful day with a professional guide.

We were on Holland America Zuiderdam, and we were fortunate to have Christian as our guide for the... read more

Reviewed September 22, 2018
SmokeyMtn
Nashville, Tennessee

Recommended experiences in and around Akureyri
from $112.42
from $112.42
from $163.52
from $92.00
More Info
All reviews game of thrones tour nature baths amazing lake christmas house combo tour lake myvatn tour tour lasted about hours cruise ship ship arrived an excellent guide recommend this tour company guide driver personal tour local company local life holland america large tour buses
Selected filters
Reviewed August 19, 2018

We picked up this tour at the Tourist Information office as our ship was berthed at Akureyri. From the start our guide Dagny and driver Joi were excellent.Dagny was very knowledgeable and answered all our questions. The tour lasted about 6 hours and we finished at a coffee place called The Cowshed which was amazing
The driver was very good, we had sufficient room in our seats and felt safe. Please pass on our best wishes to Dagny who is pregnant - hope all is well

Reviewed August 1, 2018

My girlfriend and I docked in Akureyri for an eight hour stop on the Marella Discovery's Fire and Ice cruise. Despite some confusion (on our part) about the pickup location, our tour guide Dajný was able to find us for our tour combining Goðafoss and whale watching in Húsavík harbour. Dajný was an excellent guide and the whole trip felt like a day out with an informative and interesting friend. She took a personal interest in all members on the tour and put up with my endless questions about the beautiful and fascinating Icelandic language. If all guides with this company are as knowledgeable as Danjý then potential travellers with T.V can expect an authentic conversation about the history and folklore of Iceland as well as the rich historical information regarding the sites the tour focuses on, the perfect compliment to some of the most beautiful and imposing scenery on Earth as well as a successful days watching Humpback whales in one of their favourite habitats. I would definitely recommend The Travelling Viking for day tours in an around Akureyri, I have seen some perhaps overly critical reviews, I would simply urge travellers to remember that Iceland has an extremely small population that deals with a huge demand in tourism and as far as I've experienced, the people of Iceland will always do their best to make your visit a successful one. Thanks, T.T.V and thank you Dajný for a memorable day.

1  Thank Franky-Qz
Reviewed July 24, 2018

This trip to the Myvatn Nature Baths was well work the ride from Akureyri. This location is not as popular as the geothermal baths in Reykjavik, but as enjoyable without the hype. It was part of a combo tour visiting a 'falls' on the way. I would recommend, for sure. This was booked directly with Holland America cruises.

Reviewed July 10, 2018

My husband and I booked the Lake Myvatln tour when our cruise ship docked in Akureyri. The tour was to leave at 9 am. We were at the bus at 8:50, just as the van was starting to pull away! I knocked on the window and the driver reluctantly stopped. I could see a sign in the window with a list of names,including mine, so I knew I was at the correct van. The driver got out and I told her that we were on this tour and pointed to my name. She said “It’s a good thing you got here, I was just about to leave.” We got on the 17 passenger van and there were two seats in the back, one taken up by one passengers large camera bag. She reluctantly told my husband that he could sit up front and I sat in the back. The van was clean, but very tight for 17 adults in bulky clothes and with backpacks. There was not any overhead area to put items, so everything had to be with you. I don’t understand why she didn’t do a roll call when she had a list of passengers and we had all paid ahead of time. No excuse for not making sure everyone who paid was there.

At the first stop, it was windy and sleeting. As we all came back to the bus, she could not get the key to work. It took several minutes trying all the doors for the lock to finally release. After that, the van was not locked at any of the stops.

The driver/guide did a good job of telling us about the area.

The last stop was the Nature Baths. I guess I did not get from the description that we would be spending 2 1/2 hours there. We would not have taken this tour if we had known that much time was spent there. This was also our lunch stop. Very crowded and not much area to sit.

We saw all the things promised, the guide was informative. My issues were packing the small van with too many people and of course, not confirming the passenger list. If you take this tour, be advised it is stopping for an extended time at the Nature Baths.

1  Thank Keoweecruiser
Reviewed July 8, 2018

We flew from Reykjavik to Akureyri and were picked up at the airport by our guide Lilja. She was FANTASTIC!

Lilja was right on time (maybe even early) when she collected us at the airport. We then drove out to Godafoss, Skutustaoagigar, Dimmuborgir, Gjotagya, Hverir, the nature baths and even had an unfortunate side trip to a medical clinic.

All along the way, Lilja answered questions, told us lots of the history of the area, patiently repeated answers to questions, shared what it was like growing up in Akureyri, and absolutely made sure we got to see everything. (and there is A LOT to see) She truly listened to us to make sure she highlighted the places that would be of particular interest to us.

The trip to the clinic was due to a bump on the head coming out of a cave. Through it all, Lilja was calm and took care of everything.

At the end of a very long day, she dropped us off at our hotel.

Terrific trip - don't miss it!

Date of experience: June 2018