“Game of Thrones Tour!”

The Traveling Viking
Ranked #10 of 33 Tours in Akureyri
More attraction details
Owner description: The Traveling Viking is a family run tour company in Akureyri.We focus on high quality tours around Iceland with focus on the North. Our Game of Thrones tour is the original one, chosen by the producers of GoT.
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The Game of Thrones tour was a great day. We saw a number of GoT shooting locations, but the tour involved many other locations, as well - we drove to the Goðafoss waterfall and the Lake Myvatn area and went to thermal baths. It was beautiful to the point that it's hard to describe. Our guide was funny and nice, and had tons of stories to share. We loved our tour!

8  Thank Catie M
"lake myvatn tour"
in 11 reviews
"personal tour"
in 4 reviews
"recommend this tour company"
in 3 reviews
"small family"
"excellent tour"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed October 31, 2013

If you go beyond The Wall expect the cold. The weather alone, which was at its wintry best was superb in helping to capture a GoT atmosphere. The scenery had me struggling for superlatives. Photos cannot do justice to seeing Goðafoss surrounded by snow, Mývatn emerging through the snow nor the craggy magnificence of Dimmuborgir. Jon, our guide, was tremendous. His knowledge of GoT, its locations, even mythological LotR connections was comprehensive and the Cowshed restaurant was a really good stopping point for lunch. We learnt much of the Icelandic history and culture, and the frankly comical myth of Dimmuborgir's creation from lava tubes was categorically disproved by Jon's telling of the true history of the great troll party.
The day was rounded off with a trip to the Mývatn nature baths. It was easily the best day of our holiday and I would recommend The Traveling Viking to anyone planning a trip to Northern Iceland. Thanks again to Jon and TTV.

4  Thank SouthWestSmoggy
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I went on our honeymoon to Iceland last week. We had the pleasure of being taken around by Jon for the day for the Game of Thrones experience, which was AWESOME. Even if you've never heard of Game of Thrones in your life, the tour would still be amazing. The sites are beautiful up north, not that they aren't everywhere, but really some interesting and breath taking views.

Unlike all the tours we took in the south (Golden Circle, South Shores, etc.) this tour was only composed of a few people in a smaller van which made it far more intimate, not to mention easy to hear what the guide was saying. Whereas the tours in the south were more like, let's cram as many tourists onto this jumbo bus as we can and then run the 10 hour tour in two languages - which trust me, was very tedious and boring and almost made all the sites we saw those days not even worth it.

If I had to do it again, I'd spend more time up north than down south. The north was much more peaceful and quaint and lovely.

We loved the day tour so much we asked Jon if he would take us out at night for a Northern Lights tour. He obliged and even picked us up in his own big over roading vehicle, which was fun. It was just my husband and I on that tour, which made it so lovely for our honeymoon. We got to see the lights, they were very bright and so amazing. My camera, unfortunately, wasn't working and we couldn't figure out how to take pictures of the Lights, but Jon did everything he could to help us! He was so friendly, nice and also very informative! He even brought us hot cocoa and pastries to enjoy while we warmed up on the ride home.

Five stars for Jon and the Traveling Viking! You were the highlight of our honeymoon :)

3  Thank hinklea
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We did the northern wonders tour, and I guess we came up tails as far as the transport, as we got the van, while the Game of Thrones tour got the SUV. No matter, the ride was fine, although there was one area that we were informed in advance the van couldn't access that had been part of the tour (must not have been an important stop as I Can't remember what it was). Our tour guide was Evelyn, who shared with us a wealth of knowledge about Iceland, customs, history, and just about anything else on the tour or about Iceland one could think of. Evelyn shared information with us about every stop, and we were never lacking in knowledge about each stop. This made for a great day, even with some rain and a very wet stop at Detifoss. The knowledge Evelyn had makes for great info whenever we show people the many pictures we took. Since one part of the tour was closed, TTV comped us 2 admissions to the Myvatn nature baths, which while I was hesitant at first (it was cold as heck out, and you are basically running out to the water in just a bathing suit) it was a pretty interesting experience. Overall a good day, and while many of the reviews on here are in praise of Jon, let me say that if Evelyn is your tour guide, you will not miss out at all, as her love of her homeland and vast wealth of knowledge makes for a great tour.

2  Thank Cambi1