“Perfect ride in magnificent country”
Review of Polar Hestar

Polar Hestar
Reviewed November 10, 2012

If you enjoy riding, you must visit Polar Hestar when you go to Akureyri. Close to town on a scenic road, the riding is perfection. The horses are gentle and well trained and the young women who lead the ride are expert and friendly. I went twice for 2 hour rides and loved every minute.

There are newer reviews for Polar Hestar

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I am not an experienced rider by any means, but I felt safe and comfortable on my two hour ride. The Icelandic Horses definitely have their own special gait, and are sturdy and sure footed. The scenery was amazing!
My hosts picked me up at my hotel and drove me to the farm, about a half hour away. We made a brief stop to see a turf house and tour the inside. The day I was there they were roasting pigs' heads over a fire and preparing more traditional food inside. Very interesting!
At the farm I was given a gentle wee horse to ride and kitted out in helmet and a warm jumpsuit. As this was October, it's important to bundle up. My guide took me through field and stream, uphill and down, fast and slow, with lots of commentary about the horses and the area.
Afterwards, I relaxed with my hosts and was given hot coffee and the best apple-cake I've ever had! Delivered safe and sound to my hotel - and no aches and pains the next day!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were supposed to do this a day earlier, but because our plans were thwarted halfway, we couldn't arrive in time for it. Had called them up to inform and they were nice enough to let us do it the next morning!

Embarrassed to say, we were slightly late the next morning, but nonetheless, we were greeted warmly by our lovely German lady guide. The horses were all saddled up and ready to go, and we embarked on our 2 hours trek. Upon finishing the trek, there were bread rolls, hot coffee and tea for us. There is also a dog, cats and pet rabbits on the area. We were left on our own to spend time there, or rather we didn't want to inconvenience our guide so we told her it was fine for us to be on our own.

With more riding experience, we would like to come back again :)

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Great riding experience and don't forget to help yourself for more Keina's. Plan ahead of time to ride the mountains and local trails.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

My husband and visited Iceland back in March. We were very pleased to book last-minute horse riding after arriving in Akureyri. When we checked into our hotel we saw a brochure for Polar Hestar and decided to call and see if they could fit us in that day, and they could! Within an hour the owner of the farm met us at our hotel and drove us about 30 minutes back to his farm. He was fantastic! He took us back and kitted us out in really thick coverall type suits. A lovely German girl was our horse riding guide. It was so beautiful and there was snow on the ground. I can honestly say that in spite of wearing multiple layers with coveralls, gloves, and hand warmers, it was still cold, but so worth it! The scenery was beautiful and the horses were lovely. After the horse riding the farmer took us inside for delicious homemade brownies and tea. Before leaving we had a look at his sheep and other horses. On the drive back he stopped and gave us a little tour of a beautiful old Icelandic church and some turf-covered houses. It was an amazing day. If we ever get back up to Northern Iceland we would love to visit this farm again!