“Bundle Up for a Great Day!”
Review of Polar Hestar

Polar Hestar
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My husband and visited Iceland back in March. We were very pleased to book last-minute horse riding after arriving in Akureyri. When we checked into our hotel we saw a brochure for Polar Hestar and decided to call and see if they could fit us in that day, and they could! Within an hour the owner of the farm met us at our hotel and drove us about 30 minutes back to his farm. He was fantastic! He took us back and kitted us out in really thick coverall type suits. A lovely German girl was our horse riding guide. It was so beautiful and there was snow on the ground. I can honestly say that in spite of wearing multiple layers with coveralls, gloves, and hand warmers, it was still cold, but so worth it! The scenery was beautiful and the horses were lovely. After the horse riding the farmer took us inside for delicious homemade brownies and tea. Before leaving we had a look at his sheep and other horses. On the drive back he stopped and gave us a little tour of a beautiful old Icelandic church and some turf-covered houses. It was an amazing day. If we ever get back up to Northern Iceland we would love to visit this farm again!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Very friendly and welcoming farm just north of Akureyri. We went out on a family trek for an hour and our kids had an excellent time. It was raining but effective rain-gear was provided. After the ride coffee/hot chocolate/tea plus home-made cakes were provided in the farmhouse, when the farm-owner and his wife joined us for a chat - they were very friendly. No rush to get rid of us and more cakes were provided once our little monsters had polished off the first batch. There is a dog and a cat to pet as well so little ones will be happy.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We had called them on short notice, and they very already fully booked. Still, Juliane made it possible - we could do a 2 hour ride with an excellent German female guide, and it was on of the best experiences we had. The horses were very easy to ride, even for my wife who has not a lot of riding experience. The nature was overwhelming, we saw a very rare falcon passing by, and when the sea fog creeped up the mountains, we experienced an almost mystical atmosphere. After the trip, we had the traditional coffee/tea plus cake, and we promised ot be bacl next time. Thanks a lot to everybody at Polar Hestar!

Alex and Nina from Germany

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Went with my family for a tailor-made horseriding session of 1 hour. The instructor who accompanied us was very patient and friendly and took us for a ride in the hills for a great view over the valley. She also shot some photos of us while on the horse and at the end presented us with a delicious breakfast consisting of coffee, tea, juice and a home-made cake. We had an excellent time here.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Excellent afternoon! The farm was great with sheep, cats, dogs and 120 horses, the farmer knew all their names! Having not ridden for ages I was a bit nervous but it was so much fun with amazing views from the hills, I soon relaxed and even did some cantering. After the ride I had coffee and cakes with the farmer and his son and chatted about lots of things to do with iceland and farming. I learnt a lot and felt that I had a very genuine experience. I would definitely do this again!