“Iceland in March - get deals, but brrrrr... cold!”
Review of Iceland

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Orlando, Florida
38 helpful votes
“Iceland in March - get deals, but brrrrr... cold!”
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I had the chance to visit Iceland while on business in Boston for a week in March. The weather is still pretty darn cold, so bring your thermals, you will need them!

I have heard that the best time to go is Summer, but with the package deals that you can get in March to Iceland, I decided March would work. I did the usual tourist tours: The Northern Lights, The Geyser, The Blue Lagoon Spa, but the charm of Iceland is definitely the people. Very friendly ... I felt like I was invited and welcomed from the first step off the plane.

I did a quick weekend tour, but I recommend going in the Summer time and staying longer than 3 days! The history is rich and the language is the same as it was back in the Viking days. Very charming and welcoming!

11 Thank watergirlg8
USA
7 helpful votes
“A country well worth a visit!”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We made a major mistake in our travel plans this summer. We only gave ourselves 3 days in Iceland. BIG MISTAKE! It was stunning! A geologic wonder...lots of hiking, warm creeks to bask in, empty beaches to roam, horse rides and the friendliest people. It was a very easy place to travel (but renting a car was steep!) and well worth a visit. The service on Iceland Air was amazing. We love all things Iceland and are trying to figure out how to get back!

4 Thank Valarie G
Amherst, Massachusetts
68 helpful votes
“Reykyavik in three days”
Reviewed October 2, 2010

If you are a seasoned traveller, adept at all things travel related, this is probably not for you. My spouse is such a person. I am "new" to travelling i.e. whenever we travelled, he did everything travel related and I tended to the little ones. So in a nutshell, I am pretty clueless.

To begin with, we went through VRBO to find a place to stay in Reykyavik. We had used this before during a stay in Kauai and it was really great. My spouse found an apartment five minutes walk from downtown and although expensive ($260 a night, minimum three nights), it was still cheaper than a hotel for a family of four. The owner was very nice and helpful, and the apartment was really nice and fully equipped, even with some nonperishable food items. The apartment was a few houses down from Hotel Holt.

So, arriving at the airport, we found the booth where we could buy tickets to take the bus into Reykyavik where they would then transfer us to our hotels. Since we were near Hotel Holt, no problem.

Weather: we were there end of July, beginning of August. It was wet, windy and cold. I'm not sure whether this was the norm or whether the weather is usually like this due to geographical location.

Language: English is widely spoken.

Things we did:
Ishestar riding tour
Gullfoss
Geysir
Blue Lagoon

My husband decided to rent a car as the cost was cheaper to do this than to buy tour tickets for four people. Obviously, if you're not comfortable driving, particularly in foreign countries, better to buy the tour tickets.

Ishestar: we were able to book the evening before the trip and they picked us up at the nearest hotel to our location. We don't normally ride but I thought it would be fun since Icelandic horses are special. It was an easy, fun tour through volcanic terrain.

Gullfoss (the waterfall) and Geysir are also interesting. Of course, make sure you wear appropriate hiking shoes and bring a raincoat because you will get wet.

Blue Lagoon: Expensive. Bring your own towel or pay to rent one (I think it was 5 euros per towel). Really relaxing and enjoyable to just float and hang around in the hot water.

Food:
We only ate at two restaurants: Tabasco and Geysir. I liked them both (however, I am not a terribly picky eater) although Geysir is the more expensive. We found prices high in general, but not as terrible as we had expected.

Reykyavik is a relatively young city and the downtown is pretty but I noted a lot of grey colours and some crumbling sidewalks. There was a faint air of neglect in some areas and the greyness was a bit reminiscent of former Soviet countries. That being said, the natural scenery is spectacular and there are many shops filled with beautiful, unique clothing and objects.

I give it 3½ stars really because it is a lovely city, well worth visiting.

9 Thank Niah707
Slovakia
5 helpful votes
“Gorgeous Iceland!”
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Hi!
I just came back home from my 4th trip to Iceland. I would like to recommend this gorgeous country to all people who love nature and natural wonders. Iceland is an amazing place! I have visited many countries all around the world and no country amazed me as much as Iceland... Not only the unique nature, but also the people. I have never in my life got so excellent services like in Iceland - in the guest houses, in the shops, tourist agencies and first of all - in the car rental company. I would like to say THANK YOU to all nice people from ICELAND CAR RENTAL company. They helped us very much. We could call them at any time and they have always been very nice and helpfull. I thought that it was common for Icelanders, but we have met many people in problems and they haven´t been so lucky. We met a German couple close to Hverarönd with flat tire. They hadn´t neither the tools for changing the tire in the car! And the car rental company didn´t reply their calls. We were really lucky. Because when we got flat tire, the car rental company sent us completely new tire to Egilsstadir by plane (!) as we could immediately keep on with our trip.. For me - excellent services!
Also the owners of small guest houses all around Iceland were very friendly and helpfull. For example in Ósar. We just came to the village and the owner wanted to show us the beautiful surroundings and place where we could see the seals... and his mother told us how to cook the "strange" icelandic eggs :o)
Maybe we are just lucky that we always meet only nice and helpfull people in Iceland, but for me - Icelanders are the friendliest people and Iceland is the most beautiful country in the world. I will definitely go there again!

Zuzana

5 Thank zuzana83
Newton, Massachusetts
70 helpful votes
“Felt like we were on the moon”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Drove around the entire country in an SUV, and had a great time. Incredible scenery that made us feel like we were on the moon. Waterfalls at every turn that you could walk right up to-- no handrails in Iceland. Food outside the cities is pretty lousy-- lots of hot dogs, but it was worth it.

2 Thank Freya H

Been to Iceland? Share your experiences!