Book In Advance

from $2,738.45
from $384.24
from $331.21
More Info
All reviews golden circle blue lagoon credit card spent days lava fields counter clockwise south coast gas station camper van car rental side trips northern lights whale watching be careful one night hot dogs beautiful country
Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

It was great to do Ring Road while I was in Iceland. I’d suggest not to drive if you have no experience in Icelandic winter especially if you were rented a campervan. I myself have no experience in driving on icy road and strong wind not to say that campervan is very vulnerable to WIND! Ring road is pretty easy to drive on while there’s no wind, no snow, no ice and no storm but not when there’s one of the mentioned conditions. The wind was so strong that I almost got blown off the cliff (no hyperbole) especially there is little or no rail on the east coast. Please check the weather and road condition before you’re on the road to your destination. Don’t risk your life in seeing the beauty of the Mother Nature, it’s not worth it.
Moreover, if you insist to rent a campervan please do not rent with CampEasy. They will rip you off when you cause a small damage on the car. Well, to be fair to the staff who is working there, he was very good and polite. I’ve no problem with the staff. But not when I returned my campervan with a small dent and cracked taillight due to the narrow street in Reykjavík city, I have to pay 300,000ISK which is equivalent to ~€2300. I understand that I’ve to pay that much if I cause any damage on the car and I was told that they will reimburse me with the extra that I have paid (if any)after they have it fixed. I received an email from them an hour ago saying that they will not reimburse me. I couldn’t believe that it cost €2300 for a small dent. I could fix it with less than €1000. As a reminder, please buy a full protection and ask for all the details what is covered and what’s not. They sent me an invoice with no CDW and theft insurance on it which is ridiculous cause I was told that it is covered with these two insurances. I’m still waiting for their reply!

Reviewed 6 days ago

Stunning scenery.
Hired a car from Egilsstadir airport and drove on the Ring Road both north and south.
Be aware that there are many narrow single lane bridges and stretches of gravel road on the journey down to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon.
Also, sheep can be found wandering in the road so watch your speed.
Gas stations are few and far between so fill up whenever you can.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Loved the ring road, we rented a car and were able to take our time go see other things and avoid some of the crazy tourism. So beautiful!

Reviewed 1 week ago

The Ring Road goes clockwise from Reykjavik to Akureyri, Hofn and back to Reykjavik. It is paved, though not for the feint of heart. and hits most of the major highlights. Iceland may in fact be the land that gave birth to giants, ogres, trolls and wee people. Very Tolkienesque! Everyone and everywhere along the route is used to serving tourists and nearly everyone speaks English exceptionally well. We had an incredible trip and loved it. If you go, get off the Ring Road and visit the Western fjords - Worth the experience! Oh, and go off season Mid Sept - Mid May. I would not want to be there in the summer. Too many visitors & cruise ships!.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Driving half the ring road was just perfect for us - not too far, too many hours to drive every day, time to enjoy the trip - not a chore to "do the ring road". We had one week in Iceland and chose to spend 2 nights in Reyjavik - that's enough but it was nice to do and get a feel of the capital - we would spend that time again. Must say you could spend a few more days if you were so inclined but with one week, this was a good divide.
We then chose to fly to Akeyuri (Icelands second largest city) and quite an inexpensive flight (and most certainly cheaper than fuel), hire a car and drive on clockwise to Myvatyn. This was an easy option just a few hours.
We got there so "early" we decided to have lunch at our accommodation (Vogafoss farm - fabulous food - had breakfast, lunch and dinner - all excellent) and then head out to visit the geysir area and dettifoss before checking in officially. A good move and gave us extra hours the next day. We did not visit the Myvatyn baths as TA advises they are quite confected - decided on a nap after an early set off in Reyjavik.
Day two - we drove to Seydisfjordur - a wonderful little town (must do - but could be ordinary if weather is ordinary) - loved it we drove in over the mountain range from Eglistaddir in massive sunshine and the whole town was out celebrating - they don't get too many days like this. Loved our picinic lunch at the many public tables available (there is a supermarket there, not sure what they stock, we had our lunch bought in Eglistaddir where we bought fuel) - Good cafe - "Salt" - coffee, lunch, bathroom - excellent. Accommodation at The Bank (Aldan Hotel) - super overpriced for what is on offer but clean, OK for one night, ate at the restaurant - fine, not excellent but not a lot of choices. Their breakfast included in the tariff was good.
Day Three - onto Hoffn - we drove the coast road and got a full on rainy day - such a shame as the scenery would have been outstanding we feel. All the beat up of Hoffn is just that - a beat up - we stayed at Hotel Hofn - very tour bus orientated, clean, large, no vibe, fine for one night. Breakfast was poor. We did have lobster dinner at Pakhuus - we very much enjoyed it, expensive but worth it. Good supermarket here.
Day four - to Vik - stayed at Black Beach Suites - again expensive but worth it, new, lovely view - we cooked in for a change - great supermarket in Vik, if you are looking for a 2 day stop - make it here.
Day five - Gullfoss - stayed at Hotel Gullfoss - staff ordinary, rooms clean and roomy enough, motel like, 2 standards here , new/old - luckily we got new. The big win for this hotel is the location - enables an early morning visit to the falls - we thought these falls best of whole trip, with few people in attendance before the tour buses arrive from Reyjavik as day tours - evening meal disgusting and super expensive, but not sure what you can do about this.
In summary we were very happy with our choice of route, and our choices of stops. We would like to add if you have a bit of adventure or have more time than we did to do homework, or have more information from TA than we did, we would encourage you to do some of these stops at farmstays - we would have if we had known about them.
Farmstays are EVERYWHERE and OFTEN and many of the farms are HUGE enterprises but maybe a bit out of the towns (not that they are so big) - apparently many offer dinner bed and breakfast. If we were ever to do this again, we would certainly do a few of these along the way. In some ways we are disappointed not to have experienced this (and they may [or may not] be a cheaper stay option).
Would also like to add - driving this road in 2nd week August - easy, safe, barely any traffic, ignore any other commentary, don't panic, don't need a 4wd, dont need waterproof shoes, etc, etc - too many negatives around for this trip at this time of year at leat.

1  Thank Myclare
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We spent two weeks in a camper van traveling the ring road and visiting all sorts of places. Waterfalls, Fjords, Snowfields and Glaciers, Historic sites, Museums, Pubs, and the most consistently amazing scenery we've ever seen! The sites within an easy day from Reykjavik were packed with tourists. We went during the "off-season" but those sites were still full of tourists from all over the world. Once we got past those areas, or headed off on 4-wheel drive roads we dropped 90% of the people. We spent a month traveling via camper van in New Zealand last year and thought that place was beautiful.... Iceland blew it away. Incredible areas, some of the most dramatic landscapes and scenery we've ever seen. So many waterfalls they actually became a bit mundane! The ring road is a must. Each part of the country is unique in the geography, land use, and scenery and those differences can only be appreciated by traveling the entire country. Plan to take your time.

1  Thank Rick M
Reviewed October 5, 2018

While researching about my upcoming trip to Iceland there were altering opinions about whether or not to drive the ring road. Most of them said the ring road was a waste of time and you should just highlight certain area of Iceland. If you have less than 7 days I would agree. We spent 10 days in a campervan and we drove the ring road, and added in the WestFjords, and had plenty of time to see what we wanted. We even spent one day going to the island of Grimsey in the north and time on side tracked roads and alternate routes. There is so much to see in the vastly changing landscape of Iceland that this is the only way to truly experience it for yourself. If you chose to spend your time driving across the south part of the country and then backtrack to the west you could almost drive the rest of the loop without missing any time thus seeing new areas of the country. In my opinion, with more than 7 days, this is a must do.

1  Thank Isaiah P
Reviewed October 2, 2018

We spent 6 days driving the ring road and what a fascinating time. Probably should have driven through the north west section without an overnight stay,( as there is not a lot of variation) and spent more time in Reykjavik. The most diverse landscape in such a small country from the glaciers, to the mountains, waterfalls, geysirs, black beach and so much more. All the accommodation, mainly guesthouses, were all immaculate and extremely comfortable. Would recommend this drive to anyone.

Reviewed October 2, 2018

The road is scenic and easy to travel. There are numerous rest areas with good food, coffee, drinks and free restrooms at convenient stopping intervals. The road is paved (good condition) and frequently being updated and repaired due to damage caused by large vehicles with state mandated snow tires during the winter months. It is one lane in each direction but never that busy, except for the few large towns. I never experienced any real traffic. Watch your speed - the locals all drive the limit and not any faster. Tourists tend to travel faster and can occasionally be seen pulled over by the relatively few patrol cars that are out enforcing the speeds. There are places to pull over and take photos but you have to pay attention to staying in your lane as there really is no shoulder to drive onto. some bridges are one lane only, so be careful and courteous and you will have no trouble.

1  Thank Lyndy B
Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I spent 12 days in Iceland driving around the Ring Road. My husband turned 50 and Iceland was where he wanted to go. I feel like 12 days was a good time to see most of the country. We did not see the West Fjords, but did see Snaefellsnes Peninsula. We did not feel rushed and saw pretty much everything on our list and more. The landscape is just beautiful. We would not have changed a thing. We will have to come back to see the West Fjords. Definitely drive the ring road, but give yourself time to do so. If you only hit the big tourist attractions, you miss so much more.