“Excellent lunch experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Smor
Ranked #10 of 304 Restaurants in Turku
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Excellent lunch experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

The aptly named Smör (Swedish for butter) was a very pleasurable experience for my wife and me for a three course lunch.

The restaurant has a clean, fresh feel to it, with a touch of retro. We had a three course lunch menu. The starter was a very tasty slow cooked pork with a radish mayo and spring onions. For mains I had glaced ox neck and my wife had cod. The meat was tender and flavourful, the cod was excellent, but the potato and shellfish had a slightly fishy taste. For desert we had a simple but fresh raspberry sorbet with some ice cream and a jam that we could not identify. Everything was very stylishly presented. in our opinion the pork was the highlight of the meal.

The staff was very friendly and our waiter spoke bothy Finnish and English. Unfortunately the waiter who brought in the food did not present it, which I think would have been fitting in light of the work that had gone into designing the courses. Perhaps this was because of lack of English language skills, or simply something that is not done at lunch.

We were very happy with our experience and we will come back here another time.

• Visited June 2013

• Finnish first
Espoo, Finland
“Lunch at Smör”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I entered the restaurant at 1:45PM as the sign outside stated that the lunch was served until 2PM. More of that later.
The Smör restaurant is located by the river, next to the main library, in a cellar of an old building. The general atmosphere of the place is modern, even somewhat cold.
The lunch menu was short and sweet, you could pick and choose from a few choices or take a three course menu. I took the menu which turned out to be great and very tasty. The staff was helpful and special thanks to the lady in charge of wines. She helped me to pick up the perfect glass of shiraz for my meal. The meal was well worth the money.
So far, so good. So why only three stars?
The missing points come from the fact that as my order was delivered to the kitchen, I could hear the comments made there. Let's say they were not too happy to get an order so late in their shift. Guess they don't know that the comments can be heard at the main dining room, too, especially when it wasn't exactly crowded at that time. Inexcusable, I would say.
So all in all a very unusual and confusing experience.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Jukka1961
Turku, Finland
“Another try - no luck, still less than average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

A couple of years ago I tried fish soup at the new fine dining Smör restaurant, which many of my friends had recommended. The soup was poor, tasteless and expensive. Yesterday I decided to give Smör another try at lunchtime. I ordered the whitefish of the lunch menu. Well, I had to return the fish to the kitchen, because it had too much salt in it. The second fish was all right, but there wasn't much to accompany it, only a couple of mini-tomatoes ans some carrot pieces. All, right, I din't have any starters - the restaurant lunch menu only offered a salad yesterday - , but you'd expect to have some potatoes,rice or the like to complement the fish. The service was friendly, but the price was far too high for what I had.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank madamesolo
Turku
“Able to surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I eat here couple of time a year, and every time Smor is able to surprise with its original menu. And the surprises don't come at the cost quality, everything tastes always excellent. A very good wine menu and professional and friendly staff. If you want something deviating from the average, Smor is a serious candidate.

• Visited November 2012
Midway, Kentucky
“Sophisticated dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Nice atmosphere, attentive waitstaff, creative food, and expensive wine. The menu offers a fine selection, with dishes showcasing local ingredients and some, shall we say, creative combinations. The beef cheek and the risotto were good, if a bit salty for some people's tastes. The wine we had was lovely, but the list is somewhat pricey - even for Finland. Would probably be a good place to take visitors.

• Visited November 2012