“Interesting, worth a visit if you are into this kind of stuff”
Review of Spy Museum

Spy Museum
Ranked #12 of 102 things to do in Tampere
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 13, 2013

It is not often that one comes across a spy museum! And since most of our group loved spy thrillers, be it movies or books, we decided to go.

This is located in the Finlayson building very close to Keskustori. Finding the museum was a challenge in itself, but somehow we did find it!

Entry fee is 7 euros per head, the person there offered us a 40 euro deal for 6 people, we took it. Camera costs 5 euros extra.

It has mostly interesting material and stories from the spy world, from quite some time back (early 20th century to the latest). There are demos of usual tricks like keyboard being 'bugged' to follow key strokes, modifying voice significantly to cover identity(this was great), mini microphone detectors, smallest cameras built long ago, etc. There is a one way mirror, I had heard of these things from Tintin books when I was a kid, and it kind of thrilled the child in me to see it in person, and see it work! Mostly stories of spies, with lots of older equpiment.

Summary: Worth a visit if you are into these kind of things, the 5 euros for camera is probably not worth it.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Not so much for adults, but children 6 to 12 will enjoy it. Many spy items such as hidden cameras and various cold-war items on display. Good for an hour.

1  Thank WILLIAMSVILLE-FAMILY
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Smallish museum, but quite funny exhibits.
Lots of interactive displays a some really interesting facts.
will keep you busy for an hour maximum, but still worthwhile going.

2  Thank Cotswolds_Homer
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Best place to play James Bond ;)
We know how to spy and see nice gadgets
A lot of information about what happened years ago: enigma, mata hari etc...

1  Thank Bob164
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I took my godson to this museum last year, and I hadn't been there myself before. I was surprised by how good it was. They present interesting information about real-life spies and agents and counter-espionage, and they have a host of cool gizmos. The most important thing however is their engaging educational tour that you can take together with your young friend. It includes code-cracking, searching for a hidden room, finding bugs, a shooting gallery etc. We had a lot of fun.

2  Thank Hulaus