“Slow service, average food”
Review of Torero - CLOSED

Torero
Cuisines: Spanish, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I went here recently for dinner with a friend.

The pros: It was nice to sit on the balcony 'outside' the restaurant. The staff were pleasant. There was a good selection of wine with prices which were normal for Finland.

The cons: the food. I search the menu for something that would be Spanish, not too heavy for an evening meal, not overly expensive and leaning towards vegetarian options. I eliminated salmon (not very Spanish in my opinion) and most of the meat dishes, especially the pricey beef selections because they are heavy and I am not a big meat eater. My choices were down to chicken or the grilled halloumi cheese, which was what I chose. While it was okay---a small piece----the sauces served with it overwhelmed the cheese, which was supposed to be the centre piece of the meal. They were salty and overly oily I am not sure how they complemented the meal As for the vegetables served with it, beetroot is a common vegetable in Finland but somehow neither it, or the pak choi, seemed to fit with the Spanish theme. Overall, I felt that the mix of things on my plate didn't work, at least not for me. I saw the same combination of sauces and veggies listed for the grilled salmon, so they may be popular for some.

The service: SLOW. We finally had to ask when our food was coming and in the end had to track down the waitress for our bill.

Overall my dinner as edible but forgettable and the service extremely slow. Glad I tried it, but won't be in a hurry to go back.

There are newer reviews for Torero

Reviewed November 13, 2013

we had dinner there with my wife 2 years ago, ordered a paella and hoped for an enjoyment, instead got a mouthful of uncooked rice that was sent back and after 45 minutes got a second dish exactly THE same, but THE cherry on top of THE cake or THE paella was a sort of huge spoon of what I believed to be some creme fraiche but turned out to be mayonaise directly coming out of a supermarket pot.
The waitress even had the guts to tell us that their "chef" was surprised with the return of the first dish and that rice that was crunshy was how it should be done.
Adding that to a slow service and a whopping 46€ for the "paella" that could have the chef sentenced to death in Spain for such an insult to Spanish cuisine, I would highly recommend others to stay away from that place unless food poisoning is your favorite.

1  Thank david b
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I liked the Torero Restaurant. It was quiet and I found all I needed.
Bacon and eggs and fruits, vegetables, youghurt, panncakes and much more and very tasty

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We ate there on Friday evening. The balcony was very pleasant and on the first floor there was a citarist/singer playing good songs, songs that we knew and liked.
Service was excellent and very friedly.
Food was also very good like was the wine.
We recommend this place.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

As Torero is nicely located within Jyväshovi it was a good choice for us since we stayed in the hotel. It seems that Torero shares the menu with Sevilla, the other S-club spanish restaurants there is in Finland, but we like the ala carte menu so this wasn't a disappointment.

We shared a matadors meat in a sword and had dessert - the food was good and specially the chicken in the sword was excellent. The staff was very friendly and although I do agree that in hurry the service might had felt a bit slow, but in this case we weren't hurry and just enjoyed the long dinner we had.