“Iron curtain standard”

Hotel Musta Kissa
Hotel Musta Kissa
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Lahti
Reviewed February 14, 2014

First of all, I should say that I do not pay for my stays here myself and I do not at all mind staying here. And I've been here a lot.
The hotel it self is dark as it should be in the 70's towards the iron curtain. To be honest, I believe there's been no major makeovers since then either.
The beds are hard, the way I like it.
The TV's are crap with basically no channels. There's a channel with a fire place and mono sounding sparks.
There is no fuzz in the room, which I do not need when I go here on business trips. Now there's Wifi which is great. The internet has never worked previously, which I did not mind since it meant I couldn't work late in the evenings.
The breakfast is also a remain from the old scarce Finnish traditions of taste. They do however have something to fill your belly. Oatmeal porridge with absolutely no taste.... There's bacon, eggs, scrambled eggs, sausage, sour milk, yoghurt, milk, coffee and watery juice as well.

The bar on ground level is very murky and cosy in some old kind of fashion.
I would rate this hotel less if I had to pay for it myself and I would never go here with my family.

Room Tip: There is a sauna available and you need to make a reservation for it in good time in order to make i...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Ch00dA

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Unfortunately everything went wrong. Check-in was bad, we didn't have the rooms we had booked in advance. The rooms were really poor: no fridge, broken tv, no hairdryer, no airconditioning, no nothing. All he noise from the street came to the room. Service was also bad, they didn't fix the tv on request and when we asked for extra pillows, they told us they were really busy and would bring them, if time. Eventually we got them but customerservice was b.a.d. I rather sleep in a tent than go back. Sorry.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Karvalakkimalli
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Musta Kissa is a budget hotel. Unfortunately it charges like a full service hotel and is far too expensive for what you get. The beds were hard - and I mean as hard as the floor. The bed cover had a cigarette burn hole (classy). Television didn't work. Bathroom was spotlessly clean with a heated floor and heated towel rack (but the towel had a nasty looking stain). The hallways smell like stale food. Musta Kissa is right above a bar and restaurant, and we were woken off and on through the night as someone kicked off their karaoke. There's an Irish Pub right across the road, and people were yelling out on the street up until four am, and car horns honked all night. I can usually sleep through noise but this was ridiculous. It was honestly the worst night's sleep I've ever had. No mini fridge in the room. Not even a kettle to make a cup of coffee! Breakfast had a good variety of hot and cold foods and drinks. But unfortunately the free breakfast wasn't enough to make up for the terrible experience overall. Stay away. There are cheaper places to book where you can actually sleep well.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere. Really.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Apart from the location near the centre of the city, there is no reason to go here. Run down rooms, small worn bed and noisy environment. We left after one night and went to the Scandic.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Geerlings
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I was in Lahti for a fortnight and spent 13 nights in the hotel. Lahti is a nice provincial town until about 9pm, when it quickly becomes one of Southern Finland's "get off your head" capitals. The numerous clubs, pubs and bars all close to the Musta Kissa are dreadfully noisy until about 4am, when the street sweepers and cleaners take over. Even with the double-glazed windows closed, and on the 6th (top) floor, the noise was enough to make sleep difficult. There is no airconditioning in the rooms.

The hotel is a characterless accommodation hotel, with no public rooms except the breakfast area. Breakfast is adequate and varied, but doesn't redeem the other features (or total lack of them). Decor is very "70s". If I was going again, I'd stay on the outskirts of town and avoid the Musta Kissa.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank TeePeeEngland
Reviewed April 22, 2009

We stayed there and to be quite honest it was a complete dump ...The lifts are dangerous and tiny...The rooms are shabby and the table had graffitti all over it ...It was depressing to say the least ..There was a little kitchen unit with a sink and a fridge but no kettle or cooker ???Staff were ok but would never return..Badly needs to be decorated and moderised

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank cassie123ireland
Reviewed February 6, 2008

We've stayed at the hotel for 3 summers now. We go to Lahti for my son's soccergames. We always get the familyroom which has room nicely for all of us. Staff is very friendly and helpful, but the hotel is old and in need of a makeover. Food at the restaurant is very good, if again you don't mind the surroundings. The hotel is in downtown Lahti so the noise on weekends is terrible. It also has a nightclub downstairs which doesn't make it a family place, but if you need the a place to sleep it's okay.

I'll post some pictures soon, as I find them.. Have some from the rooms..

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family