“Can't recommend”

Cuisines: French, Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2013

It was hard to find in middle of the week restaurant for lunch in Kotka. We choosed Fransmanni. The location of the restaurant is superb. We were expecting a tastefull lunch, but the food was poor.
The service was good, and the waitresses were polite.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

It was my first night in Finland and I was staying in the Sokos Hotel and I went to dinner at Fransmanni with two of my work colleagues.

I ate the Provençal chicken and it really was delicious, my colleagues both said their meals were really nice too.

Really heavy meals though (being French) so not somewhere I could eat at too often but I think it would be nice for a treat.

When I walked past on the Sunday it seemed like a very popular place for Sunday lunch but it does close at 6pm on a Sunday as I was going into the bar there for a drink and it was not open.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

The food was tasty. Service could have been more welcoming. If the pricing was a bit lower I could have given four stars, but for this price te price-quality ratio remains ok.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

On the Midsummers day when we visited, they were just about the only place that was open so it was pretty full and maybe they hadn't expected such a turnup as the whole town was pretty much closed with no soul in sight. Many people around us were complaining about the time they had to wait for food so when it was time for our meal to arrive they were very apologetic. The food was good, though, if not a bit on the pricy side.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Dined here one evening when staying over in Kotka for a business meeting. When you don't know much about Kotka, its bitterly cold and you had a late arrival, Fransmanni is conveniently located on the ground floor of Hotel Sokos.
Fransmanni is a chain restaurant in Finland (about 15 different locations as I recall), and it seems that the menus chosen would satisfy most customers, whatever their preferences might be. Everything is though strongly influenced by the French kitchen (hence the name).
I went for a set menu with wine, which was fine - though a bit expensive considered that it is a chain restaurant. The duck rillette was fine, but a bit bland. The grilled fish (a type of sea bass) was really good, but the wine chosen could easily have been more to the dry side to balance the sweetness of the white fish meat.
Dessert was good, served with a slightly sparkling rose (a Cremant from Alsace).
The place seemed popular judged by the number of people there - and even fairly late in the evening people came in for a meal.
I can recommend the restaurant, just for the fairly decent food, but do not expect gastronomic innovation. By the way - you can by different stuff from Fransmanni, ranging from aprons to condiments and spices.
On their homepage which is in Finnish, you can see the menus in English.