“Great service and food”

Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Went to this restaurant since it was close to the hotel. It is in a recidential area on a housing blocm. No expectations from the look from outside. I was very surprised to receive such great service and wonderful food.
I asked for a pate to begin with and the fish dish. The menu is not vet large. Three main dishes. Lamb, fish and quail. I chose fish.
I got first a basket with great bread. A soup of mashrooms that was delicious before receiving my first dish. The pate was nice. It followed with a small ice cream to refresh me before receiving the fish. The fish was very tasty a d perfectly done. When I finished I asked for the bill. I got three small sweets as desert which was a perfect fi ish to a great meal that did not cost what I saw as a four meal course although I had only order two courses. I am most likely going back there next time I stay in that area.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This restaurant is in the basement of a block of flat and you can easily miss it.
The local people do know this, because it has been in the same place for decades -
which is a splendid achievement these days for a restaurant in Helsinki.

I had a couple of months ago a dinner with my wife in this place with an excellent 7-course
menu, now this week I went there for a business lunch. What was most spectalucal in both
cases, was the excellent service - it is very effective, and very very pleasant!

The atmosphere is quiet and nice, you can really enjoy the dinner/luch without any annoying
noise or hussle.

Food - the 7-course meal was a special promotion, and even the restaurant was really
full in this evening, everything went really smoothly , food was tasty, small portions, but
there were so many dishes totally, that in the end, you just could not have more.

The lunch has two main choises, I tasted white fish, which is difficult to have any taste
without sauce, but now well managed, my customer had pig cheek, which seemed to be
very delicious.

I would say, a very enjoyable experience, definitely worth to retry again!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Solna is a very good choice. It is in a nice, sort of suburban part of Helsinki, its own neighborhood. The restaurant has a neighborhood feel, with very good food and good service. I went there with a group of about 10 people and it was a lovely evening.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Have eaten at the Solna restaurant twice in the six months. It is outside the city centre area of Helsinki in the Munkkiniemi district. The number 4 tram will get you there from the centre.
It is cosy and stylish and offers a fairly limited menu choice. BUT the food is excellent-I had the best steak ever on my first visit and last week I had a marvellous Wild boar with black pudding. The chef is really good. The waiting staff are pleasant, if a little inexperienced at times.
You can't eat cheaply in Helsinki .I think in general prices are 20 to 30 % higher than in the UK.
But the Solna is not one of the more expensive restaurants in the city. My wife and I had aperitifs , main courses.one dessert and a bottle of wine. The bill was 142 Euros.They really sting you on the price of the wine in Helsinki restaurants. Better to stick to wine by the glass I think.
Fully recommend the Solna as a great place for excellent food.

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We got a gift card here as a wedding gift from colleagues who knew our love for good food. The location is a bit surprising, clearly outside the center, on a little sidestreet in the Munkkiniemi suburb. The gift card was for a chef's surprise menu, which felt as a comfortable choice after an exhausting week at work. The staff proved very friendly and flexible already reserving a table and it continued all the way in a very natural and easy manner, as it should at its best. The specially printed surprise menu waited at the table and told immediately that we were out for a real treat this time. Service was very well timed the whole evening and the attention we got, made you feel almost special, athought the place was sold out.
The food proved to be fine dining at it's best with imaginarious combination of ingredients. I tried the vine menu intended for this menu and it was a perfectatch with well selected alternatives.
The price of the evening was relatively high even with the giftcard, but a tad bit lower than the rivalries in the centrum.
All in all, definitely a place to recommend when you really want to reward somebody or yourself with a treat. You'll leave with a smile on your face