Zucchini
Ranked #77 of 1,597 Restaurants in Helsinki
Reviewed April 15, 2014

It's a pity the Zucchini vegetarian restaurant is not open in the evenings or weekends, since it is my favorite lunch place in all Helsinki. If I have the chance, I always go there. Never had a bad lunch. The menu is short, but then you don't have the difficulty of choosing - and it's always been delicious. It's not the ultimate best vegetarian food I've tasted, but then again, this is a lunch place, not a Michelin star restaurant. Beats any other lunch I've had in Helsinki, so this is my place whenever I have to time to go.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

During a recent visit to Helsinki I decided to try out lunch at Zucchini.

Nothing in the place was is in English (except a “watch your step” sign in a doorway between seating areas), but the friendly guy working the counter explained to me what the daily special was. As far as I can tell, the main entree of the day might be the only entree of the day. On the day I visited, the starter was some kind of delicious, filling Mexican bean soup and then the main entree was a baked spaghetti dish (almost a faux lasagna) with broccoli in cream on the side along with a little salad. As soon as we were done with the big bowl of soup, the server came along and gave us our main plates. There was also a big basket of bread by the counter from which I took a few small pieces of bread to go with the soup.

I didn’t get to try the freshly mixed juices but they also had tap water (free, of course), bottled water and some interesting looking non-major-label / non-corporate-looking soft drinks in the cooler by the door.

The total cost of the meal for two people was 22€.

The only downside to here was that it’s communal tables, as there’s not enough space to sit in this small space. This was a wee bit awkward because we didn’t want to make our out-of-place American-ness too obvious to the other people sitting next to us.

If I get more time in Helsinki, I’d definitely come here again.

If my notes help you out, please let me know by voting my review ‘helpful’.

8  Thank MichaelInSF
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We had two lunches at Zucchini There is a meal of the day which is advertised in Finnish in the window and, as our Finnish is not at all good, we looked forward to the surprise. Both meals were delicious, with well thought out and co-ordinated ingredients. There was more in a serving than I could eat. It is always busy and we enjoyed sharing a table with the locals.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Travelling in Europe looking for vegetarian food can sometimes be a struggle so when we saw this one with good reviews on TripAdvisor we tried it out. And we weren't disappointed. Excellent food, friendly atmosphere, good location. There were only a few dishes to choose from, but what they did they did well. I had the main meal, which was stuffed aubergine with rice, salad and sauce, and my partner had the turnip soup with side salad. Bread and water were free. We were both impressed with our meal and the cost (just under 20 euros for both meals). Would definitely recommend and use again myself.

1  Thank Gill D
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Went here for lunch. They serve good basic vegetarian food here to a decent price.They have a daily lunch menu and it is only open for lunch hours Nice and helpfull staff as well. I would say the only problem seems to be the small size of the place. It can be difficult to get a seat here during lunch time.