“Nice food”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Kampinmalmi
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have been here on the first night of my stay in Finland. The restaurant is old fashioned, kind of "no-frills" but offers tasty good food. The portions are big, so prepare yourself!

There are newer reviews for Salve

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have only given a few 5* reviews and Salve is totally worth another.

My wife and I were looking for an authentic Finnish restaurant in Helsinki. Although there are lots to choose from I was looking for something more authentic and less touristy. I searched Tripadvisor and found Salve, read the reviews and walked down to the quay side.

The moment you enter the door Salve feels right. The walls are covered with photos of ships and the menu is first class.

I went for Salmon and my wife for beef stuffed with goats cheese - she made the better choice because you can get grilled salmon almost anywhere but the stuffed beef was a real stand-out.

We loved our meal and the price was quite reasonable. Salva is well worth the trip.

1  Thank BertBantham
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We were directed to Salve by our hotel staff because of its close proximity and that it served traditional Finnish cuisine. We were pleased that this did not seem like a tourist trap because it is located near one of the harbors were some cruise ships dock. The interior is charming and they have both outdoor and indoor seating. Being that this was our first meal in Helsinki, we needed some help deciphering the menu. Unfortunately our waiter did not seem to know the menu that well and had to go ask someone else in order to answer our questions. I chose the reindeer stew which turned out to be very nice although it did have a slight gamy flavor. My dinner companion had wiener schnitzel which was just average (I guess since this is not traditionally Finnish we can't fault them for it). All in all our experience was just ok and that is the reason for just three stars.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Salve is one of the oldest restaurants in Helsinki. It's near famous Hietalahti flea market, about one kilometer walk from central railway station - or take a tram. Salve is very often crowd and full booked, also table reservation is advisable. Food is good. Atmosphere is unique and bar-like. Service may be slow.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Enjoyable dinner place, seems to be very famous. I eat fish with mass potatoes, cooked extremly well and a special way. One of the best fish dinner ever. We were group of 5 persons, everybody liked food as well service. We'll come back again. Decoration of the restaurant is something to see as well.