“Great Finnish experience”
Review of Aino

Aino
Ranked #11 of 1,586 Restaurants in Helsinki
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Aino is a Finnish restaurant, located in downtown Helsinki near the Kauppatori marketplace on the historic Esplanade. The restaurant seats about 100. Aino?s menu is inspired by traditional Finnish foods and the kitchen uses primarily Finnish seasonal ingredients: freshwater and saltwater fish, lamb, wild game, reindeer, vegetables, mushrooms and berries. The chef?s goal is to create pure flavors and generous classic dishes. In the basement, vaulted ceilings of old brick create a warm setting for dining with friends or co-workers. In the coal cellar you will also find a 12-seat vaulted room, Aino?s chamber, which seats 8 people, and the 28-seat Vaulted Brick Room. In Aino?s cosy courtyard is the 70-seat terrace, a verdant oasis in the middle of the city, and out front there is a 24-seat sun terrace. The terraces are open whenever weather permits.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Aino was recommended to us by our Hotel (Fabian) as a place for good, traditional Finnish food and we believe we got what we asked for. The hotel made a reservation for us, and glad we did, as it was very busy when we arrived.

Starting with salmon soup and Baltic herring - both delicious - we both then moved on to reindeer (of course!). Portions were a bit small, but nicely presented.

Pricing is 'full' shall we say, but you get value for money. Would like to go back if I return to Helsinki.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were walk in customers. I ordered the menu meal with mushroom soup, Arctic char n with the Licorice pannacotta as dessert. My husband ordered the grilled herrings. The fish dishes were no doubt fresh n delicious without the fishy smell which herrings usually had. But the dessert was a bit disappointed. The pudding was a bit stiff n did not hv the melt in your mouth texture.

The menu has wine suggestions to pair with each course, unfortunately we are not wine connoisseurs who appreciate wines. Maybe if we tried the wine with the meal, the buttery after taste will not be as strong.

The ambience n service were great.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were walk-in customers, I suggest one calls for a reservation..When there I selected their Salmon soup. It was delicious and had a lot of salmon in it. My husband ordered fillet of deer.. To his surprise it was extremely tender and tasty. You should order the recommended beer to go with this entree since it enhances your meal. The servers spoke fluent English and didn't rush you,so you could savor your experience with their culinary art. It was a marvelous way to begin our stay in Helsinki.Main thing I forgot when we left AINO's their was a long line waiting to enjoy AINO's food.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Enjoyed a very good meal here. Sat on the patio and enjoyed watching the people stroll by. I considered going to the large place directly across the street. So glad I didn't. We wanted to enjoy a good, traditional, Finnish meal. They did not disappoint. The meat was beyond tender. The hand-made ice cream divine. The waitress, who spoke absolutely perfect English, guided us through the menu. Her recommendations were spot on. I will go here again my next time in Helsinki.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

A friend of mine took me to Aino for early dinner and was surprised to be able to get seated right away without a reservation. I ordered a Reindeer for the first time and was happy with the dish. The meat was tasty and tender and had a good pairing of beer. It was a bit pricy but it was worth the price.

The staff were very attentive and I had a great experience with the restaurant.