“Excellent personalised tour of Helsinki”

Day With A Local Helsinki
Ranked #8 of 94 Tours in Helsinki
More attraction details
Owner description: Day With A Local Helsinki provides customized private tours and local experiences in Helsinki area from a local's point of view. The price is based on the length of your day, not on the size of the group (1-8 persons).
Reviewed January 26, 2017

I was planning a tour for 22 people to Helsinki and Lapland, and got in touch with Liisa/ Day with a Local to customise a half day tour of Helsinki and also to support with various logistics particularly with various airport transfers.
As someone who owns a private travel service and organises trips around the world, I found Liisa to be one of the most responsive and helpful local guides I have evert worked with in any city. Her response speed to my emails and requests was remarkable, as well as her flexibility in proposing many options for my group of varied needs and backgrounds. I found her verity resourceful and very helpful in the pre-planning stages of the trip.
The actual visit was executer by her and her team who demonstrated great flexibility in accommodating needs of sub-groups, and her passion for showing the city and telling various stories here and there did not decrease throughout the trip. I found that she was able to offer us a great mix of old as well as contemporary Helsinki, including insights into the current lifestyle of the city which we were interested in.
Overall, very highly recommended. Great job!

Liisa_Eskelinen, Omistaja at Day With A Local Helsinki, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2017

We are very honoured to get this review from a professional in travel and tourism! Thank you for your feedback! We are looking forward to cooperating with you in the future.

All reviews
"great guide"
"national library"
"sea pool"

Reviewed January 22, 2017

Liisa was super organized and very communicative. I emailed her 2 days before from the website and got everything planned. We spent 6 hours walking around tourist sites and local places in Helsinki. It was a very enjoyable day.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
2  Thank altruista6

Thank you for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed the combination of Helsinki highlights and local life!

Reviewed January 2, 2017

We were in Helsinki for 6 hours due to connecting flights and we had to book a local to show us around. We booked Liisa for 4 hours and I think we made the best possible decision. She met our group in the airport and we took the train to the city. She was easy going, a lot of fun to spend time with. We tried a few Finnish food samples, went to the Christmas Market and even had a beer tasting from a local microbrewery as she knew we liked beer!

All four of us in the group really enjoyed our time together with her. I knew this was going to be an excellent experience for us from the very start - Liisa handled all emails promptly and professionally.

Thank you for your review! It was my pleasure to provide you the program you were looking for during your layover in Helsinki!

Reviewed December 23, 2016

We booked Liisa for a 6 hour tour, plus dinner, on a recent trip to Finland to attend a concert. We were delayed a full day leaving Toronto by bad weather, and so I sent Liisa an email to let her know, and to do some last minute re-scheduling - shortly after that, my cellphone rang, and it was Liisa, calling to see what she could do to help. This is an example of how she goes above and beyond to help make things easy for you. We arrived, and she met us in the hotel lobby, exactly on time, and took us out for dinner. On the way, she helped us buy tickets for Helsinki public transport, which was a great help.
The restaurant was a small, local place, that we would never have found on our own, and served Finnish food, and we were able to sample locally prepared fish. Liisa was wonderful company, and has great knowledge of Finland's history and culture, and provided advice on everything from getting around to tips on the language. She listens a lot, and builds an itinerary based on your own personal interests
The next day, she met us again, and we had the best tour of Helsinki I could have imagined, taking in some major features, including Senate square, the cathedral and a wonderful Christmas market, where we could sample local food, and buy some souvenirs and gifts actually made locally.
After coffee we visited the Rock Church (Temppeliauko Church) which I had specifically wanted to see. This is a magical place, and Liisa was able to explain the history of the place, and get us there at a time when there were few people, so we could appreciate the place without crowds.
We then went for brunch at another local place, again something that we would not have found on our own, and was perfectly selected based on everything Liisa had learned about us
The tour continued with visits to the Sibelius monument, and other areas around the city, taking in all of Helsinki's transport options, including a tram ride, a ride on the world's most northern underground (see Liisa - I was listening!) and an excellent Taxi service (again, Liisa's local knowledge means you get a Mercedes Benz taxi at the same rate as any other taxi in the city).
Finally we visited the Moomin shop, Kamppi shopping centre, with amazing Christmas lights, and the Chapel of Silence, before going back to the hotel.
Along the way, Liisa also helped up purchase train tickets to get to Lahti for a concert at Sibeliustalo - making things very stress free and easy.
As others have said, it's like having a friend show you the best of the city, and help out with anything you need. We saw more than I think we could ever have seen on our own, or with official tours, and had someone to help if ever we had challenges with someone not speaking English, or with just understanding how to get around!
I would absolutely recommend Liisa's services - if you are visiting Helsinki, I can't think of a better guide!

2  Thank Simon T

Thank you for your detailed review and kind words! We are as flexible as possible. As schedules sometimes change, if just possible, we'll do our very best to re-schedule your Day With A Local when needed. It was great to fit in everything you were looking for from your weekend although your flights changed!