“What a find!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Elite

Elite
Ranked #105 of 1,453 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Kampinmalmi
Teddington, United Kingdom
“What a find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Set in Art Deco surroundings, the service was excellent, both polite and efficient for the lunch that we took this week. It was also very reasonably priced for the quality of the food. A definite destination for the next visit to the city.

Visited March 2014

• Finnish first
South Wingfield, United Kingdom
“Classic Finnish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is the third time I have eaten here. Very enjoyable. The surroundings are very 1930s, classically and positively so. The walls are filled with paintings of the time - probably supplied by impecunious artists who lived up the road at the Artists' House who couldn't otherwise afford to eat out. The staff are very courteous, the food a delight. The blinis were perhaps the best I have had, though the wife was a little peeved at this, and the vorschmack superb. The Finns do Finnish food very well; I just wish they would have fewer pizza and kebab houses messing up the streets. On the other hand, the prices at the real Finnish restaurants mean that most of us would have to daub a painting or two to afford them.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Helsinki, Finland
“Special restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Elite has it's own special athmosfere due to it's history.
It used to be a popular place for actors and artists from its opening in 1932.
Interior is protected and only small changes has been done during the time.

Menu icludes some traditional dishes that cannot be found in other restaurants.
Kitchen is good and food is tasty.
Price level is higher that average, but still affordable.

I recommend Elite to anybody who wants a good dining experience in non typical environment. However, understanding the historical value requires a better than average knowledge of Finnish histrory.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Antti A
Helsinki, Finland
“Elite in flames”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Went to celebrate my birthday with seasonal flambéed dishes in Elite. As a starter we had tasty beetroot soup with pressed beef brisket and truffle cream. Our main course was a cognac-flambéed chateaubriand with garlic potatoes, pan-fried wild mushrooms and cognac cream sauce. Chateaubriand was made exactly medium as we wished. Our only complaint was about garlic potatoes in which we did not well recognize garlic - our favourite. As dessert we enjoyed pear flambéed in Xanté pear cognac with milk chocolate mousse and preserved raspberries, which was delicous.

Elite has during the years kept its style and quality. Style is a little bit old - fashioned but with in a pleasant way. It is always a pleasure to be treated politely by waiters who also can do wine recommendations, which satisfy us. I cannot remember any changes in style since my first visit a long time ago. Except the fact that the menu includes some favourites from decades ago the food has also kept its quality.On a winter Thursday evening the place was well occupied and we were happy since we had done our reservation in advance.

• Visited February 2014
Khartoum, Sudan
“A time warp”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Being a native Finn and having earlier lived in Helsinki for years I am surprised I have managed to avoid Elite this far in my life. I have always shunned its reputation as a venue for artists, but as we were now invited there by a friend I had to change my views.

The place is like a time warp in many ways. The décor is from the decades long gone, and the waitresses and the general atmosphere are like from what a restaurant in my childhood images used to be. And I am not saying this in a negative way.

The cuisine is very Finnish. The portion of herrings was so simple and so delicious. My wife said she has never had such good pasta in a restaurant. A tad pricy, yes, but I think worth it.

This is not a fast food joint but a place to enjoy your meal!

• Visited December 2013