“Elite in flames”

Neighborhood: Kampinmalmi
Helsinki, Finland
“Elite in flames”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Went to celebrate my birthday with seasonal flambéed dishes in Elite. As a starter we had tasty beetroot soup with pressed beef brisket and truffle cream. Our main course was a cognac-flambéed chateaubriand with garlic potatoes, pan-fried wild mushrooms and cognac cream sauce. Chateaubriand was made exactly medium as we wished. Our only complaint was about garlic potatoes in which we did not well recognize garlic - our favourite. As dessert we enjoyed pear flambéed in Xanté pear cognac with milk chocolate mousse and preserved raspberries, which was delicous.

Elite has during the years kept its style and quality. Style is a little bit old - fashioned but with in a pleasant way. It is always a pleasure to be treated politely by waiters who also can do wine recommendations, which satisfy us. I cannot remember any changes in style since my first visit a long time ago. Except the fact that the menu includes some favourites from decades ago the food has also kept its quality.On a winter Thursday evening the place was well occupied and we were happy since we had done our reservation in advance.

• Visited February 2014

• Finnish first
Khartoum, Sudan
“A time warp”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Being a native Finn and having earlier lived in Helsinki for years I am surprised I have managed to avoid Elite this far in my life. I have always shunned its reputation as a venue for artists, but as we were now invited there by a friend I had to change my views.

The place is like a time warp in many ways. The décor is from the decades long gone, and the waitresses and the general atmosphere are like from what a restaurant in my childhood images used to be. And I am not saying this in a negative way.

The cuisine is very Finnish. The portion of herrings was so simple and so delicious. My wife said she has never had such good pasta in a restaurant. A tad pricy, yes, but I think worth it.

This is not a fast food joint but a place to enjoy your meal!

• Visited December 2013
Vihti, Finland
“Excellent food in pleasant atmosphere”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Elite has preserved the last century charm and offers a fine selection of well-prepared dishes. The set menus are wonderful and the wine recommendations a perfect match to the food. Service is very friendly and correct at the same time. Elite is worth the few steps from the city centre.

• Visited November 2013
nesoddtangen
“Nice design surprise on a cold evening”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Restaurant Elite is a beauty if you are interested in retro design. Not that it is spectacular, but quite stylish with wooden panels, original paintings from the 50-60ties on the walls, a nice entrance area with a curved platform as you enter and a beautiful colorful bar. It was nearly empty when we entered a Monday evening, a bit late for Helsinki close to ten. We had good food food, not exceptional, but well-made on Finnish produce. We had fish, lamb and chicken, wine and an aperitif based on cranberries called Elixir. Comfortable seating, friendly and efficient service.

• Visited November 2013
Helsinki, Finland
“Classic old fashion style restaurant, small portions”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We went there with friends on Friday night (18.10.) for a late dinner. Haven't been there for a while but place is still the same. Surprisingly empty!?. Atmosphere is old fashion and traditional, classic. Cloakroom keeper. White tablecloths, excellent service. Food is always good but portions are still a bit small for my taste. Nevertheless, their creme brulee is out of this world...

• Visited October 2013