“Simply Finnish”

Strindberg
Ranked #41 of 1,552 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are open from early until late, transforming the ambiance during the day to adjust to different atmospheres. Come in and try out our wide range of coffees and teas with sweet and savoury favourites in the impressive continental interior of our street-level cafe. In the evening, you can sample our fantastic wine list or drop in for an aperitif after work or before going out for dinner. You can admire the beautiful Helsinki scenery through the enormous windows and watch the world go by. The second-floor restaurant and the Library Bar attached to it invite you to an ambiance that is both busily urban and relaxingly atmospheric. Our top-quality kitchen combines the ever-popular Nordic classics with the latest international flavours and styles. Unpretentious and on trend – simply delicious. Bakficka is our lunch restaurant on the second floor, and it serves popular home-made dishes at lunchtime on weekdays. Strindberg’s kitchen serves delicious dishes, soups and an abundant salad bar that are suitable for even the quickest of lunch breaks.
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I were in Helsinki during the festival in August. On Friday night we decided to have a meal in the Strindberg restaurant. The restaurant was located upstairs while the café was downstairs. We had not made a reservation for the evening. Upon entering the brightly lit bar area we were taken with the décor. The bar was decorated to resemble a library or living room with many books on the shelves surrounding the room. The restaurant was through to the front of the building. The colours were warm and welcoming. The floor was light wood and the tables had checked clothes on them.

We entered the restaurant and were welcomed by a person on the desk. We explained that we did not have a reservation. We were told that although they were busy they would find us a table, which they did. It was in a pleasant location. We were handed menus and the wine list. Our server, Nelli was very knowledgeable regarding the wines on offer to accompany our meals. We accepted her recommendation and were pleased with our selection. The menu had a limited choice but for us that was better than a long list of pre-prepared meals.

Our food was brought to us presently and looked delicious. My husband enjoyed his choice of liver and onions with mashed potatoes while I tried the local delicacy of fried Baltic herring with mashed potatoes with lots of butter. We both enjoyed our dinners. My husband had a desert consisting of frangipane with a glass of sweet Sauternes wine. We finished our meal with coffee which was delicious. The bill for our meal including drinks came to 104 Euros which was in keeping with Helsinki prices for food and 4 glasses of wine. The staff were very friendly and cheerful.

The toilets were on the same floor as the restaurant and were clean and well maintained. The Strindberg restaurant is easily reached from Esplanade Park. I would recommend this restaurant for anyone wishing to experience Finnish dining in homey surroundings.

4  Thank Wilma S
There are newer reviews for Strindberg

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Exceptionally fresh fish -- Cozy yet creative plates, served with a Finnish twist of presentation (a little sprig of dill and a extra twist of local berry something.....) Yummy!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had lunch at Café Strindberg in central Helsinki. The Place was very nice and the salad I had was delicious. Service was very good with very nice staff.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Visited Strindberg in Helsinki with friends for dinner, whilst in town for a short break in May. This has become a tradition when visiting 'home' once per year roughly. Was interested to see how the place had changed if at all meaningfully since its move within the same block last year. To all our pleasure, the atmosphere, milieu, staff, menu, quality and just the Strindberg feeling were all in tact. One sign of a good restaurant in our experience is the length of service of staff, and here there were lots of familiar faces populating front of house and floor once again. All very dependable. We enjoyed 4 different starters, mains and desserts, as well as plenty of vino, and the whole thing was pulled off effortlessly by the smart staff. I was allowed a change of main from the set menu to one on the main menu at no extra cost, and was even indulged with a laugh at my inane joke of why I wanted to change this course ("I came all he way from London today just for this dish........."). All the traditional Strindberg dishes were there, including the meatballs, risotto, pain perdu, etc etc. felt very comfortable and homey all the while. We have dined here over many years privately, for business, with family and friends, as a couple......... Cannot remember a real disappointment in all that time. If you are a first time visitor to Helsinki and want an upmarket (though not extra costly mind!!) authentic Nordic dining experience, head here either for lunch or dinner. Best to book ahead though. Its son the first floor up from the cafe of the same name on Esplanadi, down one block from the not very unnoticeable Louis Vuitton store.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

It is great to see that along the years there is still something that won't change or lose its'
attraction. I have visited this retaurant along 20 years, and it has never let me down, that's why
again took my friens to there yesterday and again the end result was really positive.
First of all the service was excellent, but what was still more enjoyable, the great
' rydberg stake ' which is not exactly stake though potato and meat dices with wine sauce -
this meal was still the same old fantastic dish as before.
I love it!
This cosy restaurant is deifinitely worth the visit or just a drink at the library bar!