“Real Italian” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Famiglia Helsinki

La Famiglia Helsinki
Ranked #773 of 1,453 Restaurants in Helsinki
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Vironniemi
Description: Relaxed "little Italy" in Helsinki Bring your friends, family, business partner and your appetite to La Famiglia and be prepared to enjoy. La Famiglia's laid back, casual and relaxed atmosphere welcomes you with its Italian American menu. The bar serves fresh drinks for our customers to enjoy before dinner. The "play corner" is popular among our younger customers. During lunch La Famiglia serves a lunch buffet 11.00-14.30 and daily changing lunch portions from the kitchen. Welcome to La Famiglia!
Finland
“Real Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you are looking for a nice Italian restaurant in Helsinki, this might be your choice. The Italian food you usually get in Finland tastes more mixed than Italian (if in Italy they would use only oregano as spice, you would probably find that in the Finnish Italian food also black and white pepper, thyme and basil are used...). In La Famiglia, you might get as real Italian food as you can get there in Finland. They are confident enough to keep it simple enough there! Even though they nowadays advertise themselves as an 'Italian American' place...?! Maybe they've changed from what I had there more than a year ago...

• Finnish first
Helsinki, Finland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor service and food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We had to wait for the food for an hour and when it finally arrived the sweet potatoes were undercooked and the chicken tasted weird.

Felixstowe, United Kingdom
“Quiet, warm and reasonable food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Myself and a colleague were on the hunt for a late lunch and a place to warm up after a recommendation nearby had stopped serving food.

After the initial surly reception for sitting at a table that hadn't yet been cleaned, the service improved significantly and we had a nice meal. The chicken pasta with a caper and goats cheese sauce was delicious and filling. I'd go back.

• Visited February 2013
Nurmijarvi, Finland
“Okay lunch, but nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I had the lunch buffet which contained meat balls in tomato sauce, mashed fish steaks, pasta and mini potatoes. Meat balls were okay, tomato sauce tasted like ready made, but the biggest dissapointment were the fish steaks, which tasted like poor school food. Service was nice and fast though, I could try this restaurant again, but I would choose something from the menu, rather than try the buffet.

• Visited February 2013
Helsinki, Finland
“A bad experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

First of all, a little bit about the background of our visit to La Famiglia: we were 9 people in total (colleagues looking for an early workplace Christmas dinner). It was in December and we were warned that we would have to wait a bit longer than normal for our food when we booked the table. That was okay. They explained the long waiting time with the fact that we would all have to get out dishes at the same time.
When we arrived (at 4.30 pm) the restaurant was full and busy. That was fine. We made our orders quickly since we had already read the menus online beforehand. We also ordered glöggs.
The glöggs came reasonably quickly (after 15-20 minutes), we drank them at they were good. I could recommend the one called "rosato glögi".
Then the foods did not come. And we waited. Waited. After one hour and some minutes three of us got their food. The waitress explained that these dishes came from downstairs, not from the kitchen, so they could not coordinate. These three hungry ones started to eat while the rest had to wait more. During the next 15 minutes even the rest of us got their dishes....one by one.
The food was quite tasty in general. The burgers, pizzas, steaks and lambs are to recommend. My Caesar sallad with smoked salmon was boring and tasted mayonnaise. The salmon was good but the rest was just a huge bowl of lettuce mixed with plenty of sauce that tasted mayonnaise.
After the main dishes we ordered desserts. Three of us (including me) had ordered their desserts already in the beginning. That was a huge mistake!
We had to wait for our desserts for another half an hour or so and since some of us live outside Helsinki the time was getting tight. Therefore my boss paid the bill (it took also like 10 minutes to sort out).
Then the desserts arrived. Both ice-creams were wrong and one of the 4 tiramisus arrived later. My chocolate fondant cake did not come at all. Then we checked that my cake was not on the bill either. The waitress was sorry and said that she would bring it but it would take time since the cake had to go to the oven first.
Everybody else finished, some of us already left (they had a train to catch) and I waited for my cake. Finally it came with an apology and an extra sorbet ball. I had to eat it while everybody else were waiting me to finish as they wanted to go home. Well, nothing of enjoying my dessert!
I would not go to this place again, altough I understand that the bad service depended partially on the pre-Christmas busy season.
I can also tell that the small 2-people table next to us (we arrived at the same time to the restaurant) had to wait for their main dishes for 1,5 hours and then it took another 1 hour before anyone bothered to collect their empty dishes.
I think in Helsinki there are other, nicer and better places to go to.

• Visited December 2012