“A bad experience”

Ranked #479 of 1,511 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vironniemi
Description: Relaxed "little Italy" in Helsinki Bring your friends, family, business partner and your appetite to La Famiglia and be prepared to enjoy. La Famiglia's laid back, casual and relaxed atmosphere welcomes you with its Italian American menu. The bar serves fresh drinks for our customers to enjoy before dinner. The "play corner" is popular among our younger customers. During lunch La Famiglia serves a lunch buffet 11.00-14.30 and daily changing lunch portions from the kitchen. Welcome to La Famiglia!
“A bad experience”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

First of all, a little bit about the background of our visit to La Famiglia: we were 9 people in total (colleagues looking for an early workplace Christmas dinner). It was in December and we were warned that we would have to wait a bit longer than normal for our food when we booked the table. That was okay. They explained the long waiting time with the fact that we would all have to get out dishes at the same time.
When we arrived (at 4.30 pm) the restaurant was full and busy. That was fine. We made our orders quickly since we had already read the menus online beforehand. We also ordered glöggs.
The glöggs came reasonably quickly (after 15-20 minutes), we drank them at they were good. I could recommend the one called "rosato glögi".
Then the foods did not come. And we waited. Waited. After one hour and some minutes three of us got their food. The waitress explained that these dishes came from downstairs, not from the kitchen, so they could not coordinate. These three hungry ones started to eat while the rest had to wait more. During the next 15 minutes even the rest of us got their dishes....one by one.
The food was quite tasty in general. The burgers, pizzas, steaks and lambs are to recommend. My Caesar sallad with smoked salmon was boring and tasted mayonnaise. The salmon was good but the rest was just a huge bowl of lettuce mixed with plenty of sauce that tasted mayonnaise.
After the main dishes we ordered desserts. Three of us (including me) had ordered their desserts already in the beginning. That was a huge mistake!
We had to wait for our desserts for another half an hour or so and since some of us live outside Helsinki the time was getting tight. Therefore my boss paid the bill (it took also like 10 minutes to sort out).
Then the desserts arrived. Both ice-creams were wrong and one of the 4 tiramisus arrived later. My chocolate fondant cake did not come at all. Then we checked that my cake was not on the bill either. The waitress was sorry and said that she would bring it but it would take time since the cake had to go to the oven first.
Everybody else finished, some of us already left (they had a train to catch) and I waited for my cake. Finally it came with an apology and an extra sorbet ball. I had to eat it while everybody else were waiting me to finish as they wanted to go home. Well, nothing of enjoying my dessert!
I would not go to this place again, altough I understand that the bad service depended partially on the pre-Christmas busy season.
I can also tell that the small 2-people table next to us (we arrived at the same time to the restaurant) had to wait for their main dishes for 1,5 hours and then it took another 1 hour before anyone bothered to collect their empty dishes.
I think in Helsinki there are other, nicer and better places to go to.

• Visited December 2012

• Finnish first
“decent mainstream food”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Pretty ordinary italian cuisine here. Not bad but not very memorable either. Good thing about the place is that you always get a table there. Don´t have to book in advance.

Visited October 2012
“Worst service ever”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

First time we came here for a lunch. We asked the waitress what pastas are there today in buffet and she didn't know. She had to go and see. We had to wait our drinks very long and we got them only after I asked for them again. Pastas didn't have much taste and a vegetarian pasta was basically just mashed tomato and onion. When we wanted to pay we had to wait to get the bill for 15 minutes.

Another time we tried to come here for dinner. No one came to welcome us, so we just sat on empty table. We waited for 10 minutes and no one came to even bring us menus, so we decided to leave and never come back again. In my opinon this is the worst restaurant in Helsinki. Just avoid it.

• Visited July 2012
“Uncomplicated food”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Very nice and varied menu, portions not too fancy, but delicious basic food. Service is friendly, at times a bit too hectic, do not go if you are in a hurry.

Helsinki, Finland
“Bad service, medium pasta”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I was eating there with my 11 year old son, as it has been a good place to go with the kids. Well, his lasagna was not too good, below medium according to him. Tomato sauce straight from the can, at least tasted like that. The taste of my shrimp pasta was good, nicely spicy. However I had min when my son was allready finishing his meal as I was served first with wrong pasta. The service in general was not good at all. We for example did not receive any bread like every body else around us! I just noticed that when we were ready to leave. There won't be a next time for us.

• Visited October 2012