“Great Chinese restaurant in downtown Helsinki”
Review of Dong Bei Hu

Dong Bei Hu
Ranked #542 of 1,622 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2013

A really nice looking, pretty big restaurant just off Esplanadi in downtown Helsinki. It's not cheap but the food was great and staff (Finnish and Chinese mixed) was friendly. The only problem was we had to wait long to get the bill as we were ready to leave. If you have some extra cash I would recommend eating here. Check their website for prices.

1  Thank Koro666

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I walked in here originally thinking of a steak in Stefan's (put off by the price) - just over the road.
I ordered what I thought was a starter and a main course - two enormous plates came out and I thought how the hell am I going to eat this? The food was so good (broccoli with garlic sauce, pork with chilli and parsley sauce) I ate the lot. I asked at first for one of the three-chilli dishes but was told in no uncertain terms that it was too spicy... I decided not to argue, but in retrospect I should have gone for it, the two-chilli dish I had was not hot at all.
Just after I arrived a huge Chinese group came in and sat in a reserved area, it was a bit annoying to have people standing near at times but I didn't mind, the food was so good.
I am so bored with dull generic Chinese meals, I normally steer clear - but I will certainly choose to come here again and try some more choices.

1  Thank Anthony S
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I dined alone and it took 45 minutes Before I got my meal, a simple nuddle dish. The dish however, was very tasty. Such a pitty it took tooooo long time.

2  Thank SaladaVerde
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We ordered dinner on a Saturday night. Ordered fried chicken, fried vegetables and yes a deep fried fish. Strange, but the menu had mostly fried dishes. Ordered what they called a "hot and sour soup". It was a whitish sort of soup with tofu and looked more like an egg drop soup with tofu in it. We were not going to eat this soup so we ordered spring rolls instead which actually turned out to be very good.

Anyway the main dishes, inlcluding the vegetables, were too spicy hot with whatever they spiced up the dishes with. For me, no problem, for others, it was a problem if everything is spicy hot. This was definitely a distraction.

In addition; the server appeared rushed and amatuerish in responding to us. After trying to talk with her she left our table, went to water the plants outside the restaurant and that's the last we saw of her.

I'm no expert on Chinese food, but the chef and the server at this place needs improvement.

For a restaurant so close to Helsinki's main tourist area

2  Thank Pat W
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Love the quality of food. although the food was customized to finnish style chinese food, it still had the chinese flavour, It was great, quantity is less though :) I will visit again and recommend others too... Located in the heart of the city.

1  Thank haloamar