“worse than fast food”

Cuisines: Thai
Neighborhood: Taka-Töölö
Neighborhood: Taka-Töölö
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I am sorry to say but Kok Thai was very disappointing. We went for late lunch early dinner (linner) two days ago. The place was empty. The young woman who catered us was very polite. We ordered a curry chicken plate and different curry vegetarian plate. The food arrived. Two small bowls where the curries were served and a metal bowl with the steamed rice. The metal bowl was not full; I couldn't help myself thinking that the price of rice must have skyrocketed! The chicken curry had maybe 8 thin and short slices of chicken (kebab style but a bit longer) and 3 big (I wondered why they had to be so big) pieces of potato with an abundance of slices of onions. The vegetable curry had carrots, baby corn, green beans, all in very small quantities. The taste of the chicken curry was totally artificial nothing homemade about it; it was thin and soupy with a strong flavour of artificial enhancers. The vegetable curry tasted a bit better but equally thin in texture impressed as a poor concoction. For each of these substandard curries along with a stingy portion of rice we were charged approx. 14€ (a total of 28€ for two persons)! This we considered to be a rip off considering the really poor quality food we were served. I can only imagine that this restaurant has managed to survive all these years due to the poor taste of Finns who flock for lunch and settle for anything on their plate (or small bowl). I can't think that anyone who has eaten good Thai food would find the food in Kok Thai remotely authentic, or even ok. My suggestion is to save your money and go to MacDonald’s. Restaurant food in Finland is anyway very expensive but if people don't do anything about it we will keep on paying handsomely for junk food. I should also mention that after our meal I had gass and pains in my belly that lasted at least 2-3 hours. Thank you Kok Thai!

2  Thank acuteobserver
There are newer reviews for Kok Thai

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had a dinner with my Japanese friend at ok Thai.
Tom Yam Soup was very good as usual. Some basic spring rolls, noodels, chicken with chili and basil and shrimps in red curry.
Food was very tasty and services was very good as well.
I recommend this restaurant to all Thai food fans. Location is at Töölö, near the opera house.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was recommended Kok Thai for its entree, seafood salad. The salad was excellent, I admit, the foor good and price level ok. It was getting the food that was the problem. The young waitress forgot us three times: first she forgot to take our order, then she forgot to bring us water and glasses, and finally we found out she had forgotten to give our order to the kitchen. Every time when we had to ask for service she look embarrassad and surprised but not once did she say sorry (not to speak about some compensation for waiting double time for our food). I don't think I will come back here.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Kok Thai make typical Thai food always with same quality. Service is nice and quickly. If you like hot food you could find it there.
There are buffet lunch. Good location.

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

A relatively cheap option in a very expensive city . Food is good and the atmosphere is very relaxed. Basically a Thai restaurant as you would expect.