“Finnish versions of Spanish dishes”
Review of Ravintola Del Mar

Ravintola Del Mar
Ranked #715 of 1,523 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Helsinki, Finland
“Finnish versions of Spanish dishes”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We went this place once several years ago and all that I can remember is that we got terribly spicy paella. After that the restaurant has been chosen the best local restaurant in Helsinki, so we decided to give it another try hoping that something has changed over the years.

Unfortunately the second try wasn't any better, even if we didn't order paella this time. We both took Entremeses de la casa as appetizer and Mariscos de la casa as main dish. Unfortunately both of the dishes were disappointment. The portions were small and there was way too much garlic that covered all the other flavours. I didn't get rid of the taste of garlic until the day after. That tells something.

The prices were average for Helsinki, but the overall value was not good. Finnish versions of Spanish dishes - to avoid.

• Visited February 2014

• Finnish first
“Garlic! Garlic everywhere!”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We went there twice.
The first time, some years ago, we ordered seafood paella, and it was like eating fire. Way to spicy for even being worth to be called paella!
Yesterday we went back there to try the widely announced "new menu". Disaster!
Fortunately at least we got the appetizers for free, or I would have called it a robbery.
Appetizers: Mariscos a la Xavier ---> 2 scallops, 2 or 3 prawns, some chips. Everything covered in garlic.
Main courses: Mariscos de la casa: in Spain it would be considered as tapas (media racione wanting to be very generous): 3 mussels, 3 shrimps, 2 scallops, swimming in a kind of herbs and of course garlic -cream. Everything frozen, of course. Total price: ridiculously high.

The most overrated restaurant in Helsinki (not to mention, I'm still burping garlic, even thought I use quite a lot of garlic myself when cooking).

Next time I crave for tapas or paella, I'll do it myself, at home!

• Visited February 2014
Barcelona, Spain
“A good surprise”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I am spanish. This restaurant has a curious mix with flamenco music, Barça sign, 'toros' (bulls) on the door and some kind of spanish food, but prepared the finish way. Was shocking for me, believe me.
But the result is good. The meat was prepared ok, even if you never had this flavour in Spain. But if you are finish, you will enjoy it. And if you are spanish, but open minded, you will enjoy it too.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank FrancescTraveler
“Suprise in Herttoniemenranta”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We went there one evening near closing time with our 8 friends and were we ever so suprised. The steaks were perfectly done to our taste and garlic potatoes very good. Good winelist. We got superb service and the keeper didn't rush out even though it was long past closing time. Very small place. We'll definately go back.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mother63
“Best in Herttoniemenranta”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I've had dinner here many many times and the food is always fantastic. Everything I have ever tasted has been perfect but the steak with peppersauce is my favourite. The service is good and the owner is very friendly and always has time for a little chat. This place is highly recommended!

• Visited December 2012