“Like stepping into the late sixties”
Review of Sea Horse

Sea Horse
Ranked #28 of 1,489 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Like stepping into the late sixties”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

First of all, I should point out that it's a while since I visited this place, but since it's a restaurant from the 1930ies and the decor is last sixties at best, I'm pretty confident that it won't have changed much.

The place is expensive and the food is mediocre, but it's almost an institution and I'd definately go back. The place is just so weird in it's decor and feel, I remember having a difficult time concentrating on the food, because it was like how people would have eaten a fancy dinner 40-50 years ago. If Mad Men ever does a Helsinki trip, this is where Don Draper will eat.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank christian d

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona
“Overpriced:(”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I understand restaurants can be expensive, but if the food is wonderful it is not a problem. I have been drinking wine in Helsinki all week so I know there is good wine. My very expensive glass of wine was hardly drinkable. My Wiener schnitzel €23.50 was so overpriced and not delicious. Now the salmon soup was excellent. I would go back for the soup and a beer. The wait staff were wonderful and accommodating. The place was packed with locals so maybe I just ordered the wrong things.

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Who'd have know Finnish food is great”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was not expecting all that much from a traditional Finnish restaurant - especially as I am not too keen on fish but....
EVERY dish ordered by my group of six I really liked and, to my surprise, the the Pike Perch fish was my favourite - gorgeous. As was the Scandanavian Hash, the vegetarian stuffed cabbage, the meatballs and the crispy mini herring - yum

Visited June 2013
Hong Kong, China
“Traditional Finnish Restaurant”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by my Finnish friend and it seemed that everyone in Helsinki knew about this restaurant.

The location was easy to find, it took me only 15 mins to walk there from Bulevardi. If you are looking for luxury environment and great interior design this is not the place for you. But if you want to have a relaxing experience and try the traditional finnish food you should put Sea Horse in your list.

I went there during lunch time and ordered a "fried steak" and the creamy salmon soup. The fried steak was only average but the creamy salmon soup was delicious, the ingredients were really fresh. I have tried this dish in other restaurants so far this was the best one.

It cost me 31 euro (because I had two glasses of wine), I think it's a good bargain.

• Visited May 2013
USA
“Good old-fashioned food, excellent service.”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

After three nights of new-fangled "fine dining," this was a welcome break: some down-to-earth Finnish food. An easy tram ride from our hotel, we liked this friendly neighborhood place as soon as we walked in. The wild mushroom soup was good, the liver and bacon the best I have ever eaten, the sweetbreads a bit too heavily breaded and the pancakes a tasty conclusion. The service was excellent, helpful and attentive. Founded in 1934, the Sea Horse has a settled, comfortable atmosphere. It was interesting to read on the Internet that it had been patronized by the likes of Pablo Neruda and Jean-Paul Sartre. To my mind, that beats the current crop of shallow celebrities. This would be the first place I would go if I were to return to Helsinki.

• Visited May 2013