“Excellent food,Great Location”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This restaurant is very easy to find as it is in the city centre. The ambience was nice. The food excellent. We went there twice once for dinner and once for lunch. We were lucky to even get a table at dinner time! I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants Indian food for what it really is.

1  Thank urvi w

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Staff here is most arrogant to the extent that they ask their customers to take the cutlery and move to the table if one choose a table other than the one given. No courtesies...no smile... stiff neck and zipped mouth staff...I have traveled to many countries and eaten at many restaurants with friends and colleagues and never had an experience of restaurant staff asking how the payment would be (split/together) even before greeting their customer or taking the order. People don't go to restaurant just to eat food, rather food is just part of the time spent in restaurant...if that time is messed up by the restaurant staff what is the fun in going to that place....If I had a choice of giving less than 1 rating...I would have given -5 rating for this restaurant....

6  Thank Sudheer C
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I do not know if the guys who serve in this restaurent are the owners of Samrat... But if not, then the owner should quickly arrange a course of Courtesy & Decency for them with some sense of Indian hospitality which they are totally deprived of... Imagine what, when we expreesed our desire to move to another table since it was a bit comfortable on the other table, these guys rudely said that we will not arrange the cutlery on new table ,pick up your cutlery from the old table & shift to the new table..What do they think they are? We just tolerated them since we had heard about the good quality of food...But this food has left a bitter taste in our mouth & I will recommend all my friends & relatives never to go to Samrat--- I know the Indians never show such rude hospitality to anyone...

6  Thank Parag386
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Could have been a fabulous restaurant. Only if these folks had known spices are good enough for Indian food and does not require to be peppered with their arrogance. These people make money running an Indian restaurant in the heart of Helsinki but they bring nothing that is Indian in their service - the warmth and hospitality that typify the Indian culture. Thats because the three folks who run this restaurant are one Bangadeshi, one Sri Lankan Tamil and the other supposedly a Nepali.

You get a sense of their weird behaviour first time itself, but you tend to overlook it for the cause of the cuisine you perhaps desire to have. I referred so many of friends and colleagues here - just because Helsinki is still deprived of anything good in Indian. However it does not take time for this bunch of impersonators to be exposed. They ask you to leave if you wish to be offered a table of your preference, they ask you to leave if you are approaching closure time, they interfere in to your conversations uninvited...you are always on your toes as to where the next surprise coming from them. At the end you feel like you are obliging yourself by having food here than they thinking you are their customer. I had my last dinner with them today. No more referral, no more Samrat.

Enough is enough.

6  Thank Shaibal
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We ate at Samrat on the 11.9. on my Birthday. We had this Groupon coupon and we had a 3 course menu for 25€ for two, which is less than half the original price of 52€. Not bad for Finnish prices but way too much for two students.

For starters we got salad and two smallish samosas. The salad was quite good and fresh and the samosas tasted authentic, like the ones I had in Uttar Pradesh region. The main course was a vegetable curry and chicken korma with rice. The vegetable curry was good but nothing special, the chicken korma was very good and the rice nice and plentiful. The dessert was (Finnish) vanilla ice cream with a waffer... not very Indian I'd say plus the ice cream was so cold that it was too hard to take into pieces with my spoon. So we ended up waiting for 5-10 minutes before we could have this poor excuse for a dessert.

In general the mood and decor of the restaurant wasn't all that Indian although the waiters clearly had roots from there. The music was nowhere near any kind of Indian music and the restaurant looked very British Indian... i.e. British with some Indian decorations here and there. The waiters were courteous and friendly, although they spoke very quietly. They let us dine very much in peace and we didn't have to wait for anything too long. Although if we had needed more service I'm not sure how it would have gone.

The restaurant would have gotten 3 stars otherwise in general if I hadn't gotten sick after that. I reckon it was the chicken korma...

1  Thank Ville R