“Absolutely appalling service, patronising, arrogant and pretentious”
Review of Nokka

Nokka
Ranked #4 of 1,586 Restaurants in Helsinki
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vironniemi
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I do not believe that I have ever been treated too in such an appalling way. We went to this restaurant, which is part of the Royal Group, nothing regal about the service. This is the second of their restaurants that I have been too, the other the Elite, and it was a similar story there. Perhaps its the training??
Well, our waiter was very patronising at every level, we were shown to our table then left alone, He then "suggested" that I would have a G&T and that my wife wouldnt like one but would prefer champagne!!, well, we both wanted a G&T, so he huffed and came back 5 or 6 minutes later, I actually thought he had forgotten the Gin!. I also asked for a carafe of tap water with ice and lemon, I have never seen such a reaction. The look he gave was of complete disgust, as if he had stepped in something a dog leaves behind on the sidewalk. Anyway, we had by this time been in the place for half an hour or so and still had not even been offered a menu or wine list. So I asked for both, this I think was another mistake. I was quite forceable told along with added sarcasm, that in Finland, the Finnish people have a procedure that they must go through during a meal??? This guy was definitely not a Finn, but my wife is Finnish and we live in Finland.She has never heard of such a procedure, neither had our family and friends when we told them of his performance.
It got worse. I ordered a bottle of wine, a Chablis prem. Cru, to which he then promptly told me (I emphasise the word TOLD) , that they do not serve that particular wine by the glass. I informed him that I did not want a glass, but that I wanted a bottle!! He brought it over and I tried it, I thought it tasted off, not corked, but something was just not right about it. I tried a few sips more and decided that I was not happy with this bottle. It tasted very sour and extremely citrus, which a Chablis, made from the Chardonnay grape, ought to be buttery, with an aroma of wood shavings. This did not have either. As you can guess by now, this dídn't go down too well with matey boy the waiter. To be fair he did call over his manageress, who tasted it and sort of agreed with me and offered us 2 glasses of another Chardonnay. During her visit to our table, arrogant waiterman went off and came back and almost shouted, obviously so everyone near our table could hear, that he had been on to the internet and that the wine should taste exactly like it was!! so the internet now has a palate it seems? at this the managresses basically disappeared. I also had ordered a red wine, an Amorone, which was perfect.
However, after a quite a bland meal, most dishes lacked seasoning the bill came. I did notice that the we were charged for another Chablis, which was 129€, the one I order was 99€, When I pointed this out I was told no, I did not order that one, but that I had ordered the more expensive one. Please bear inmind we did not finish this bottle, the manageress again came over and stated we could drink the wine if we wanted too!! I enquired why we were being charged for bottle a wine we could not drink and that we did point out that it was off, I fully suspect that this bottle then went into the house wine to be served by the glass!. This was really the last straw for us then, my wife got very upset and was brought to tears. Just so we could leave the place I paid the full bill, which was a total of 392€ for the two of us and we left. Adding insult to injury, they charged us 5€ for hanging up our coats. NEVER again will we vist a Royal restaraunt, and I strongly recommend, neither should you.

9  Thank Ciderman_11

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had the Helsinki Menu of 4 courses w/ the wine package. The dinner kicked off with a gazpacho (amuse-bouche), followed by the beautiful smoked fish starter, which was excellent and the matching wine was great. The main course, lamb, was a bit of a disappointment. Celery was not mentioned on the menu but it still dominated the taste. I would have preferred the neck of lamb more over done and the sirloin more pink. Good, yes, but not at all aligned with the starter. "Finnish cheeses" consisted of only two very small pieces of not-so-local small producer cheeses, fruit bread baked yesterday (very dry, anyways) and spoonful of mixed sweetened seeds and nuts. Matching wine was great. The dinner was finished with very summery strawberry, white chocolate and raw milk icecream dish, which in deed was very good. Local strawberry sparkling wine was not on the expected level, if you compare it to for instance ordinary Fresita.

We were served sparkling water only in the beginning, but did not realize that we need to ask for it if we wanted more.

For the price of 245 EUR for two people I'd say you could be better off somewhere else in Helsinki.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Nice location in the harbor. Beautifully renovated old warehouse with romantic ambience. Service is impeccable. All food are locally produced and prepared by cooks behind glass walled kitchen so they could be observed preparing food. Elegant presentation and good food.

This has been a Michelin restaurant 2012 & 2013.
Not for people on a budget, otherwise overall a great experience.

1  Thank nenf
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is food of the highest order with the combination of textures and flavours which have been thoughtfully and cleverly designed. The local delicacies make a fascinating contribution to the experience. The wines selected for the tasting menu were similarly well thought out. The quantities, so often a problem when many courses are served, were precisely right and the service impeccable. We tried to interest the management in moving the whole enterprise to London but they declined so Helsinki residents will still be able to cherish this culinary treasure. Lucky them.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We are travelling as a Family of 5 and are always looking for a restaraunt with top food and still child friendly. This restaraunt has both.

We went for the a la carte as there are no kid menus we were not sure how the set menus would go.

Our 2 younger children 7 and 10 both had mains and dessert.

Not cheap for those on a budget
The dinner for 5 with wine ended at 350 euros which is more or less what we would pay back home in melbourne for a top quality restaraunt.