“The best place we ate in Helsinki”
Review of Atelje Finne

Atelje Finne
Ranked #113 of 1,584 Restaurants in Helsinki
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Kampinmalmi
Reviewed July 29, 2012

After reading reviews on here I picked this restaurant for our first night in Helsinki. The location for our trip was a surprise for my girlfriend and I was sure she'd love Atelje Finne.

We both did - it was excellent. For starters I had the pike perch tartare crepe, a beautiful introduction to Finnish cuisine; my partner had steak tartare. Both were extremely fresh and very well seasoned, and generous portions. I had loin of pork (pork belly) with tomato salad, which was meaty and filling, while my partner had a huge smoked fishcake with nettle stew, which was delicious. We fought over the crackling from my pork belly, which was the best I've ever had.

Atelje Finne is somewhat known for its liquorice creme brulee, which I'd been looking forward to since booking, and it didn't disappoint - an invigorating but not overpowering smokiness to finish an excellent meal. It was good value for money as well, considering the quality of the food - around 120 euros for a full meal with wine, and probably about 30% cheaper than it would have been in London.

The wine list was a little pricy, but that's to be expected in Helsinki. Also, as advised from other reviews we sat in the upstairs area. This was very romantic and offered a great view of the restaurant from above, though in hindsight we might have preferred to stay downstairs as it was fairly quiet and we were a little isolated. It was still a great atmosphere though, particularly with the sculptures and ambience.

We also enjoyed a nice conversation with one of the very friendly staff at the end of our meal, and left very happy with our first impressions of Helsinki.

1  Thank Peter F

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I like the food , the wine and the variety in the menu . Also the suggestion for the dish of the day is a nice surprise every time . Service is fine and qualified .

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Brilliant fresh ingredients at the hands of a top chef, and a frequently changing short menu - can't go wrong. A bit pricey maybe, but worth it.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Four of us just ate dinner and talked for nearly three hours on a Saturday evening. We were not rushed out as soon as we had finished dessert. Instead, the staff kept refilling our water glasses so that we could stay and talk.

The salads, the cucumber soup, and the shaved beef appetizers were all wonderful, according to each happy diner.

The white fish special was the freshest, sweetest and most carefully prepared any of us had ever enjoyed.

Their attention to seasonal ingredients was superb. I had fresh peas, pea shoots, fennel, cucumber and rocket that were all wonderful. One of us had fish cakes in nettle stew, which he loved.

But the remarkable surprise came with desert. Two of us ordered shortcake, berries and whipped cream. There was a wonderful crumbly cake along with fresh cultivated strawberries and blueberries, as one might expect. But a significant proportion of the berries were wild strawberries. Unbelievable.

Perfect.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Loved the white fish with new potatoes. Asked some red wine to go with the cheese selection and got the best wine ever!!!