“Nice hotel, great location, good value but DON'T USE the phone in the room because it's a rip off!”

Original Sokos Hotel Albert
Ranked #38 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I stayed there for a whole week in a standard single room. I booked through a very popular site and I paid 68€ per night breakfast included, which is excellent given the usual helsinki prices.
Don't let yourselves be fooled by the exterior of the hotel, which looks rather poor. The inside is much much better.
The location is excellent, in a nice quiet area very close (10 mins or less) to the city center and railway station. The room (back view) was quite basic but cozy and pretty clean when I arrived. The windows were a bit old and thus a bit hard to open/close, but overall the room was pretty quiet. If you have your own laptop, the wireless internet connection is free. Otherwise, a laptop for guests can be used at the reception and you can easily get a free password for internet connection.
The breakfast buffet is really good, both salty and sweet and you can really eat as much as you can. One day I neeeded an early breakfast (before 7 am) and they very kindly prepared the usual cold buffet for me.
The staff is very friendly and helpful.
Now the bad things: 1) Apparently the cleaning service is a bit bizarre and consisted solely of actually just "making" the bed every day and changing the towels when requested. During the whole week they NEVER cleaned the floor or windows or anything. When I asked the reception, I was told this is the hotel standard and it had nothing to do with the fact that I was benefitting of a promotional tariff.
2) THE PHONE IN THE ROOM IS A RIP-OFF and there's no indication at all of the costs you will incur in if you use it. I made a 9 minute phone call to the Lippupiste number to book a ticket for a concert. I knew the call would cost roughly 2 € per minute (so around 20€ for my call) because it's not an ordinary number, but imagine my surprise when the hotel charged me € 39at the time of check out!!! That's ridiculous. I mean, I obviously accept that the hotel charges you more than the actual cost of the call, but twice as much the actual cost of the call is a robbery and rip-off, expecially when the hotel gives NO INDICATION at all on the costs of the phone call from the room phone. It's unacceptable that a hotel provides guests with a service without telling them how much it's going to cost them. I complained to the hotel manager and she admitted that they will have to work on the charging system and that what I was charged was a bit over the top, but of course there was no chance to get the money back or even a partial refund.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Original Sokos Hotel Albert

Reviewed August 31, 2009

Great - staff, breakfast, groundfloor bar and lounge and free use of laptop.
Poor - curtains, don't accept a room beginning with the number 2, they're directly above the lounge and kitchen areas and tiled floors means sooooo much noise either end of the day (we were moved when we asked), quite downtown, price - we paid 140 euros a nights having booked through one of the search engines on this site, a member of staff said we could have got it for less had we booked through the Sokos website direct - I now think the amount we paid was far too much for the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank FreyBrighton
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband and I just returned from an excellent and very comfortable one-week stay at the Hotel Albert. Our room, which was a standard room, had a generous wall of windows, a comfy bed, a desk, a mini-fridge, and a huge TV. The bathroom was fairly generous and had a stand-up shower. The corridors were also newly redone -- the whole hotel was quite well-appointed and well-cared-for, and comfortable rather than flashy. Like much of Helsinki, which is a relatively young city as European cities go, the building is fairly plain and modern from the outside, but that should not deter anyone! The location is wonderful -- right in the middle of everything but not where all the noisy bars and restaurants are. The breakfast buffet was vast and had something for everyone -- fruit, porridge, yogurt, cereals, cold meats, eggs and bacon, meatballs -- even grilled veggies showed up one morning (fantastic!). The breakfast room doubles as an Italian restaurant for lunch and dinner, though I didn't try it. One tip: if you aren't prepared, restaurant prices in Helsinki may be a shocker. I'd recommend trying the prepared-foods counter at Stockmann department store for take-out meals, pastas, salads, etc, or a great picnic lunch, at a much more friendly price (especially if, like us, you're tied to the US dollar!).

Reviewed August 10, 2009

Stayed here for a weekend and found the place to be good value for money, clean, really well located and with good service. Modern decor with a slight 70s theme and very tidy. Breakfast is fantastic. A great central Helsinki option

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2009

It is a fantastic 4 star hotel, very modern, clean and trendy. The staff was nice, friendly and helpful.
The room was very comfortable and quite big, it had everything that should be in a 4 star hotel. The bathroom had an interesting shower cabin. As there is enoteca (wine cellar) in the hotel, there are wine glasses in the room. I also liked design of the room and modern flat screen TV with some special features. Internet is fast and free of charge.
You can visit sauna for free in the morning.
Breakfast was really good! There was plenty of different things, cold and hot, salty and sweet. Everything was tasty. I was particularly impressed by possibility to drink fresh juice and great cappuccino/macchiato/hot chocolate for breakfast.
Location is very good too, you can easily walk to all major attractions (including central train and bus stations), but stay not in a crowded area at the same time. There are some cafes and restaurants nearby (check out the garlic restaurant!) and a supermarket around the corner. The neighbourhood is quite artistic with small galleries and shops of modern art. You can reach Synebrychoff museum and park in 2 minutes.
I think this hotel is a great choice for both business and tourist travel. And I'll definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maygirl_rus
Reviewed April 28, 2009

Staying at this hotel was one of the nicest experiences I've ever had. The three-star hotel was not as pricey as other hotels in Helsinki, but I decided to give it a go. It turned out the hotel was brand new (opened in August 2007) so the rooms and bathrooms and the hotel in its entirety was top-notch. I was especially delighted with the modern, practical bathroom. The rooms were nicely decorated and bed extremely confortable. The hotel was quiet and the atmosfere was relaxed.

The staff was an absolute joy - one night during the week we arrived at the hotel at about 1-2 am, exhausted, dirty and dusty as we had been helping our friends move all day and night. The restaurant has already closed and we were starving. Without hesitation the receptionist offered to trace the chef in the back of the kitchen and in less than ten minutes we had these beautiful trays filled with gorgeous food that we could take into our rooms. Needless to say, it felt like it was the best meal I had even had! Also, upon arrival a free wi-fi codes were offered to us for the whole duration of our three-day stay without us even having to ask for it.

The breakfast buffet was very good, as was the italian-style hotel restaurant.
The location of the hotel is at the city centre in Punavuori which is a great lively and fashionable area for design boutiques and nightlife.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2008

I was disappointed by the outside of this hotel, which looks a bit dated. However, all the rooms inside have been redone and come with flat screen TVs, modern design furniture etc. Breakfast was included in my rate and was very good - lots of choices. This hotel is a better option for business travelers than some of the big chain hotels in Helsinki. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Londonboi