“Cute room, nice stay”

Ranked #37 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cute room, nice stay”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed in the Sokos Hotel Albert for 2 nights in early October. I chose it on the basis of a meeting rate and proximity to meeting location, but I would stay again even without these factors. The location is fantastic, easy walking distance to everything and very close to Tram 6 stop and 15 minutes to central train station. There are good and interesting restaurants close by (Salve was very good, with excellent service) as well as some cute shops and boutiques.
The lobby seems a little cluttered when you first walk in, but my double room was spacious, well furnished for working, and the bed was very comfortable. Photos from the other travellers are very accurate.
The room included had an ironing board + iron and a REAL hair dryer (not one of those weak versions mounted to the wall). Housekeeping was great, the room was spotless.
Television included several Finnish channels that were playing english-language television shows, plus BBC. The free wifi was excellent, fast and I had no problems connecting in the room or the lobby.
The breakfast is great, with a huge range of breads, fruits, porridge, eggs and savory items, digestive biscuits and even a few different coffee options (all self serve so you can get it QUICK!).
I found the service to be professional, friendly and efficient. The front desk helped me when I had questions about timing and price of the airport bus. I ate lunch in the restaurant because I was limited on time, and the food was ok, but the service was friendly and efficient. They were happy to serve me even though they were closing in a few minutes and they didn't rush me at all.
My only small quibble is the shower, which is pretty small and leaks water over much of the bathroom floor. Fortunately, the towels are huge and absorbent, so I just threw down the extra one on the floor.
Having stayed in Helsinki before, this was the best of three hotels I've tried so far, and I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Finnish first
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Spent 4 nights in a single room at Sokos Albert and was overall pleased with the stay.
Location is great, between so-called "Design District" and city centre. Half way up from Western Harbour, so especially great if you're arriving by ferry.
As I said, I had a single room which was really about the size of half a standard double room, but it was very cozy and stylish. The air conditioning was pretty cold, however, didn't bother to check from the reception but if you prefer not to sleep in a fridge, try to get someone to help you with the settings as there was no manual for air conditioning in the room.
Housekeeping does a great job, replacing even the towels I left hanging on the rack according to the sign that told you to leave the ones you'd want changed on the floor. Useless, but sweet of them nevertheless. :)
Breakfast is really good - apart from the coffe that tasted like coffee machine rinsing water. Never would have thought lactose free pancakes can taste so good! The choice varies a little from day to day, but you'll basically have scrambled and boiled eggs with some vegetables and sausages or meatballs on the side; selection of mueslies and yoghurt; porridge, wide selection of breads plus ham and cheese to top it with. Cookes, pastries and named pancakes for dessert. Yum!
The breakfast itself takes place at Papa Albert restaurant that also serves buffet and a la carte lunch and dinner. Very cozy and enjoyable place!
All in all, I was satisfied with the hotel as a business traveller - peaceful, tastefully decorated and great location away from the bustling centre, but still very close to it.
Would recommend to others and go back myself anytime.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have used Albert several times for business -guests before, primarily because it is close to both our office and everything else in downtown Helsinki. Also, the rooms represent a good, pragmatic standard and have always received good comments. This time I had four guests staying at Albert for almost a week, and I have now decided not to go back. The reason is that the place is totally understaffed. The (one) person in the reception doubles as bartender, switchboard and, at night, even as waiter for the hotel restaurant. As a result, everything works with a delay. There is a nice wine-bar in the reception area but the staff doesn't really have time to worry about service, let alone care about the ambiance (music frequently too loud etc.). Finally, both the standard of the breakfast and the restaurant in general just communicate the same message: nobody has the time to care.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Martin_Andergard, General Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Albert, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your feedback. I am truly sorry to hear about your negative experience at our hotel. To improve on service throughout the day we have re-assessed our staffing needs and also discussed this issue with the staff, in order to secure a better day to day service level in the future. We always aim for our staff to be trained and skilled in more than one department. This we believe assures better overall service in the hotel. We also believe that service and hospitality coming from the heart is the most important thing we should provide our guests, and this we failed to do during our stay.

Once again I do apologize for the inconvenience.
However I still hope to see you as our guest again in the near future, so we can make this up to you. Also please feel free to contact me personally through our hotel website contact info.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in August 2012.

THE ROOM:

Clean, quiet, and sunny. I booked a single room, which had a twin bed, a large desk, and two wardrobes. Wireless is included and was very speedy.

PROS:

-the location is PERFECT. I walked everywhere during my stay and never even had to get on a bus or tram (though it was clear those services were easily accessible from the hotel). The hotel is in Helsinki's Design District, so there are lots of cool galleries and shops just a few blocks away, as well as plenty of good places to eat.
-the price. Good value for such a centrally located and clean hotel.

CONS, potentially:

-this is a good hotel, but there's nothing particularly outstanding or exciting about it. It is comfortable, clean, and well-run, but there's no "Wow!" element to it. For this price, though, that seems completely fair.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Lisbon
Reviewed August 13, 2012

If you are looking for an afordable and very good located hotel in Helsinquy try this one. The excelent breakfest is a plus. The rooms are very confortable. Staff is friendly and helpfull. You can have lunch or dinner for a reasonable price. This hotel is very cosy and well decorated.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Martin_Andergard, General Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Albert, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Mrs. Manatim,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback regarding the Sokos Hotel Albert.
Our staff are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you as our guest again in the near future.

Almaty, Kazakhstan
Reviewed July 27, 2012

this was my first trip to Finland and in Helsinki particurlarly. now im in love with the town and i know its mutual. according to the reviews on tripadvisor.com i`ve chosen Sokos Hotel Albert, and now its my favourite hotel. i liked all about this hotel, especially its location in Punavuori district. i`ve enjoyed a lot my walks along the district; for example, there is a nice Kakku galleria (cakes gallerie) on Bulevardi st. (just turn to Bulevardi from Albertinkatu and you`ll find it easily). Sinebryukhov museum is also very close (a few meters from Kakku galleria). almost opposite to the museum there is a small flear market - very nice and interesting). it took me about 10 minutes to get to the center of town, a little more - to Kauppatori (market square). almost opposite the hotel there is R-kioski where you can buy tram and bus cards. so, lets come back to the hotel - my single room was very cosy, clean, modern and quiet. the windows looked out on the inner court, besides, you can open it just to let the fresh air inside. bed was very comfortable and rther big for one person. bathroom was clean, modern and all facilities worked trouble-free. i never use minibar, so i can say nothing about it only that it was in the room. there was an iron but without board, so it was rather difficult to iron clothes on bed or table. now about the breakfast - its was very-very nice. i liked it! no comparison with those i had in Italy. great variety of choice and very tasty, in general Finnish cuisine is very tasty, i liked it very much. the hotel has Papa Albert pizzeria on the ground floor (we had breakfasts there), they cook tasty pizza (forgot its name). i didnt go to sauna, may be next time, so have nothing to say about it. girls on reception were very friendly and helpful, many thanx them for that. if you need to check something, there is a laptop in the lobby, so you may use it. i think that next my trip to Helsinki i`ll choose this hotel gain and definetely recommend to my friends.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback regarding the Sokos Hotel Albert, which I trust will be valuable info for other travellers as well as for us.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our Head Chef Lars sends you his regards as well for your kind feedback regarding his creations.
Regarding the ironing board, all rooms comes with an ironing board ( + iron), so we’ll check the closets that none is missing one.

We hope to see you as our guest again in the near future

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Well located, handy to city , public transport etc. Hotel was clean and tidy and well presented. Staff very courteous and helpful. We did like the restaurant., Good breakfast selection. We had two main meals there, No need to find an outside restaurant to satisfy the palate. Can recommend this hotel

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple