“Room nicely decorated, but hot with banging doors”

Original Sokos Hotel Albert
Ranked #39 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for two nights in a single room.

Pros:
*The room was nicely and modernly decorated. Single room had quite a big single bed, working table, flat screen tv, minibar, ironing board and iron, small "wardrobe" and bathroom with a shower.
*In the lobby there was a nice looking library/bar where you can read several magazines the hotel offers.
*Breakfast was ok, nothing special. The usual bread, bacon, eggs, cereals etc.

Cons:
*The room was very hot even though I had set the air conditioning to coolest. I can image that during summers it can get _really_ hot.
*There were stains on the room walls, especially next to the bed. I didn't even want to image what those were but otherwise the room was clean.
*The pillow was very hard and lumpy. There were two pillow options available, but the other one was too soft and slack for my taste. But I think hotel pillows are never very good.
*You could _really_ hear very loud bangs when people let the doors of the nearby rooms slam shut behind them. In fact the sound of the doors closing was so loud that you think someone just entered your room, and that is not a nice feeling when you are just about to fall asleep and alone in your room.

The hotel also has a restaurant but I didn't try that during my stay. The hotel is located about 10 minute walk to the city center and you can find a smallish supermarket very near. I would not likely go back to this hotel as there are many other hotels to try nearby.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding the Sokos Hotel Albert.
Regarding the cons you mentioned we are delivering extra fans this week (week 26) to upper floors facing the sun and our goal is have our maintenance dept. paint over stains and scratches as soon as they are noticed.
We do have a harder and a softer pillow since this has been the feedback of our guests. In addition there are smaller (and thinner) children’s pillows that can be requested from the staff.

In July we are installing new, bigger TV:s with additional foreign channels into all rooms and the library bar.

We sincerely hope to see you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

I'm really enjoying my time at the Sokos Hotel Albert. The rooms are really modern and cute, with a funky design. It's really nice to see after so many drab hotels. It's no wonder that Helsinki is the World Design Capital of 2012.

The staff are super friendly and helpful.

The restaurant downstairs has really good food, and breakfast was amazing.

I don't want to leave :]

Room Tip: Make sure you have the breakfast, it's delicious. Rooms on the corners are the best.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank seattlestravels
hotelmng, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Albert, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted that you enjoyded our service and rooms. We hope to see you soon again.

Kind regards,

Kati Jousimies
Hotel manager

Reviewed March 25, 2012

The main thing I remember from this stay is a decent sized room. Location was good and close enough to everything. Most of the decoration in the room was pretty new including huge television.

We did not encounter any problems with our stay so I'll rate this hotel very good.

Food tip: On the corner of the block (left from the main door) there is pizzeria "Dennis" which I think is the best pizzaplace in Finland.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Martin_Andergard, General Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Albert, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Dear Mr.Villemies,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback regarding the Sokos Hotel Albert
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We will get new in room TV:s this summer, so the TV:s will be even better.
Also I would recommend the Pizzas at our hotel restaurant “Papa Albert”. They are really tasty and oh so good. My personal favourite is the “Diavola” ;)).

We do hope to see you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

The hotel is easy to reach by public transport (5min direct tram from the central station) and offers excellent quality for the price (less than 100 euros). Nice district with beautiful buildings, many shops and 10-15min walking to the centre (well, there was so much snow&ice that one had to walk very slowly those days!) ; the building looks rather boring from outside but it is very cosy and modern inside; our room on the first floor was quiet (despite my fears when I started hearing the machines removing mountains of snow!), very big (a standard one), super clean, good bed and pillows. We can certainly recommend their Italian restaurant where we enjoyed dinner. Unfortunately we had breakfast in a hurry before leaving to the airport very early in the morning but the offer was quite impressive to satisfy all tastes. I wish I could have had more time to try more things!
Finally, staff was friendly, very helpful, easygoing -we noticed that in another Sokos hotel in the country, they seem to get good training on how to make the client feel home, really- Highly recommendable!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank virblanco
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I am writing this review after having just checked in. I have never written a negative review and on reading some i feel they are picky. However, i will say it is very late and I am tired so please take that into consideration. Am traveling solo but booked this hotel based on location, price and that it offered a double room at single rate. Things like that matter if you experience single rooms on a regular basis! Arrived at my room to discover it is a single bed! Too tired to argue but am thirsty and need to do a bit of work so some coca cola should keep me awake for a little while - minibar only offers fanta, diet coke, water or alcoholic! Lets go the wine at 8euro and hope i can stay awake. Am also hungry after only receiving a sandwich on the flight and I didn't eat all day. Nothing, no crisps or nuts. (some will argue i should have eaten at the airport and i fully agree.) Not sure if room service will supply this late (1am) but refuse to pay the 12euro service charge to find out. I also notice no toiletries as there is a soap dispenser for basin and 'all over shampoo' in the shower - I hope my hair understands! As I said, I'm tired and all may not seem so grim tomorrow. The room is fine but if I pay these prices i deserve to be picky for once!

Stayed: March 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding the Sokos Hotel Albert. I was sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at our hotel.
Since your stay we have expanded on our selection of snacks and sandwiches available from the reception 24/7. The staff will also deliver this products to the room.

We hope to see you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

First of all: Very friendly and helpful staff! When we arrived, they told us that they could help us finding restaurants, making bookings for us etc. Definately thumbs up for the staff!

The location is very good. Walking distance from city centre, close to a.o. the Alexander Theatre and the Hietalahti Market Hall, and also very close to a kiosk (R-Kioski) and a grocery store (Alepa). It's absolutely possible to find a decent place to eat without walking far.

The hotel room (double room) had comfortable beds, an adequate bathroom, the windows could be opened (in some hotels, you have to borrow a handle from the reception for this), a TV, some storage space for clothes, a writing desk and a mini bar with room for a few extra bottles/cans. No kettle. The room was clean apart from some stains on the curtains. Our room was on the second floor, above the hotel entrance. The street and area is no doubt quiet compared to many other central streets. However, the music in the lobby bar was also directed to a couple of loudspeakers outside of the entrance, just underneath our window. This was a little annoying. Also, we heard squeaking from the entrance doors (sliding doors) pretty well in our room.

Splendid breakfast - a wide selection of good food! The coffee was the downside of the breakfast, though. The night we arrived, we also tried the hotel restaurant (Papa Albert), which was OK but nothing exceptional.

All in all an above-average hotel in a fine location and with a welcoming staff.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room directly above the entrance.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Martin_Andergard, General Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Albert, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write this detailed review, which makes it even more valuable to us. It helps us to improve things. We have passed along all the things that need improvement and attention.

We hope to see you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

Rooms are spacious and the interior is nice. There was a huge old stain on the wall, but otherwise the room was clean. There is a small flat-screen tv in the room, but watching the basics channels is not so simple due to tv-system of the hotel. It is nice there is ironing board ready in the room and you don't need to borrow it from the reception as usual.

The breakfast is basic continental.

This hotel is nicely situated at the centre of Helsinki and it is not overpriced. I would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding the Sokos Hotel Albert.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Regarding the hotel TV system; we will renew our in-room TV sets and our hotel TV system
later this year. We hope to see you as our guest again in the near future.