“Incorrect location”

Ranked #30 of 311 things to do in Helsinki
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We took a long an chilly walk using the "Point me there function" on my smartphone. Find myself in the middle of a childrens playground in a windy park area. No Design museum for us this visit was the result.

That this incorrect location reference has not be spotted earlier may indicate that the Design museum may not be on the top list of attractions for visitors.

1  Thank mosterbe

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This museum appears to have had a few homes over the years and is currently in a very attractive period building. It feels a little underfunded with an eclectic collection which doesn't fully develop any of the particular themes. It also misses out on several of the obvious Finnish design classics or a comprehensive collection from one of its main designers, which was odd.

Overall, a bit disappointing and random.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Design is a huge part of modern Finland, so this is a good place to visit in Helsinki. From glassware to furniture, it's a who's who of Finnish design, including the famous Alvar Aalto. It's definitely worth checking out if you have the Helsinki Card - some will enjoy it more than others, so if you're not losing out on much if you make it a quick visit.

It's located just a few minutes walk from one of Helsinki's best restaurants, Juuri, and made for a nice pre-lunch visit.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Again, with the Helsinki card easy to visit museums only as long as they hold interest.
What was interesting here was seeing how significant the issue of Design is to the Finnish culture and brand. Especially when combined with looking at some of the buildings we saw when taking buses around the city.

They also had some interesting exhibits on various design and historical issues which made one stop and think about design.

1  Thank Richard10024
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This museum was a perfect introduction to the history of Finnish design for me, as someone who enjoys beautiful, practical things, but doesn't have much background knowledge.

The main exhibit on the first floor traces the evolution of Finnish Design from the latter part of the 19th century through today. Each room covered maybe 20 years. The chronological set-up was very user-friendly. Each room has one or two large explanatory notes on a wall that connects the design trends with the social/cultural/political/economic forces of the of that time period. Basic, but I got a lot out of reading them.

The exhibit was very traditional in the sense of "pottery behind glass" and "furniture behind rope" and "clothing hanging from hangers." But the items were interesting, and seeing them in a museum made me look at them in a different way.

The temporary exhibits upstairs didn't leave much of an impression, and the lighting was gloomy up there. There was no temporary exhibit when I went downstairs.

I only had about an hour to visit this museum, but it was sufficient to take my time and really enjoy the permanent exhibit. I prefer to spend about 90 minutes or less in a museum, after which I get museum fatigue, so this suited me well.

The small gift shop is a bit cramped, but has a nice selection of objects, some of which I didn't see elsewhere. When the items were ones I had seen elsewhere, the prices were the same. However, the gift shop doesn't do tax-free shopping.

For the rest of my trip, I felt like my visit to this museum made me see the items I saw in stores in a new light, and I feel like I have a better sense of the significance of every day objects, and their form, function, and provenance, than I did before.

1  Thank Sheila P