“Nice but...”

Klaus K Hotel
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 26, 2008

Stayed overnight with my husband while going into a concert in Helsinki. The hotel is beautifully decorated, we had a spacious doubleroom 213 with a window very high up on the wall and facing the inner court - a view which is not so very nice. But the view was not a problem for us as we checked in in a hurry just to change clothes to go to the concert and arrived very late after the concert and checked out early next morning, but if we'd stayed for a longer period... The room was kind of dark due to this window and due to lighting. If I'd have to work there - well there was neither a desk nor good light for working. There was a small coffee table with two comfortable chairs to sit - but it would have been unconfortable to work by that table or by sitting on the bed.

The bed was very comfi and very nice - and had several pillows (at least 4) which to me was extra nice. We had a good night sleep there.

The hotel is very much designed - but lacks some practicality: like there was nowhere to put your clothes hanging! There is a rack but no hangers (the only two pieces hung bathrobes). And the shower is a designed "Rainshower" which was a laugh to hold in hand while trying to take a quick shower without wetting your hair (there were no showercaps available). They told us in the morning that if we'd just asked, they could have brought us almost everything we would have wanted (like a rolling wardrobe or something). But having arrived so late (or in a hurry the first time), we did not even think about asking for hangers or showercap. So it was our fault.

The worst thing, however, was that our room was not cleaned properly. The floor is wooden (nice!) but there is a carpet around the bed. My husband stepped on the carpet and felt that there was something under it. We lifted the rug and saw that there was lots of dust, sand, a sales slip and a eye shadow applicator (that's what he stepped on). We did complain in the morning at the reception and they were very sorry and told that such is not their standard. And we were compensated.

The breakfast buffet was excellent and delicious. Very large selection. I absolutely hated the music they played at the restaurant, but that's a matter of taste, of course.

The hotel does not have a carpark of their own, but they give you discount slip for the carpark which is actually under the hotel. There is a entrance to the carpark elevator just beside the hotel main entrance - very convenient! The car entrance is through Diana park at Yrjönkatu - behind the hotel block. Overall, the location of the hotel is good - close to the centrum and easy access to the trams.

Service at the reception and at the breakfast buffet was excellent as well as the way how they handled our complaint about the dirty floor.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mari6

Reviewed June 8, 2008

We spent three days in Helsinki in April. We chose Klaus K because it was a member of design hotels. These three days were actually a part of a general tour we did in Scandinavia visiting Stockholm, Oslo and Tallinn. Klaus K was our last destination.
The room we stayed in was a standard double and was really small (especially if you compare it to the web site photos!)
The biggest problem we had though was the fact that if we wanted to have our breakfast in the room we had to pay 40 Euros per person extra!
It is rational that breakfast in the room is somewhat extra on the room & buffet breakfast rate but I think 80 Euros for both of us was a rip-off!
We always order breakfast in our room and so did we in the other Scandinavian capitals we have been to and never again were we asked to pay so much.
Maybe the expensive extra fee means that they do not actually want their clients to have breakfast in their room.
Apart from that our experience at Klaus K was gererally a pleasant one.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marimekko
Reviewed June 8, 2008

I did not choose Klaus K. In Helsinki for a destination wedding, it was the only hotel of its caliber offered to me. But, I will choose this hotel the next time I come to Finland. Klaus K offers well-designed, extremely comfortable rooms. What really mattered to me, though, was the service.

As I work while on vacation, I need an internet connection. For some reason, I could not get the connection to work, and Klaus K's internet service provider was not able to solve the problem. One of the employees (at one point, several) spent close to three hours working with me on the problem-- though he did not do so at the expense of the needs of other guests. When it was clear that the service provider would not be able to help, the staff quickly found an alternative internet connection for me. Without this one gesture, I would have been a wreck through my entire stay. This effort, on the first night, made a profound statement to me as to the hotel's commitment to its guests.

This one incident was not isolated. The service was excellent through my entire stay. Rooms were cleaned thoroughly. The bathroom was pristine (and by my New York standards, luxurious). Elevators were sufficiently large.

The free breakfast was large and delicious. Assorted breads and pastries were available, along with several cheeses and reindeer meat (amazing!). The coffee was drinkable, high praise in Europe.

I would return to Klaus K in a heartbeat. I have stayed in many hotels with great service and well-appointed rooms. But, this one will always stand out. I have never experienced such friendly and complete service from the entire staff.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tjohansmeyer
Reviewed May 29, 2008

I am just back from a long weekend visiting friends in Helsinki. I wanted to stay in a hotel for a couple of nights as a treat, and was a bit disappointed with this one. The location is great, it was very quiet for a good night's sleep and there was nothing particularly wrong with it, but it was just a bit soulless for me. The staff were OK, but I think they could be a little more welcoming and attentive. My breakfast was included, but there were extras one could order (reasonably priced). It was difficult to place the order (unattentive staff) and when my poached eggs arrived they were hard and tasted strongly of vinegar. Bad egg chef! For a four star hotel I expected an all round better experience. If you like plain and are into design then you will probably like this place. It was probably a bit lost on me and I will stick to a traditional hotel next time I'm away!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank MariaReading_UK
HaveFunNow, Owner and General Manager at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2008

Dear mariareading_uk,
I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations for your breakfast and service experience. I truly hope that I may have another chance to welcome you back to Klaus K so that we may show you how we can really do it very well - as we have been commended in our breakfast and overall service particularly. I was very dissappointed to read you comments and will certainly share them with my team. It is extremely important to me that Klaus K shows its best at all times and obviously we were unable to show you our best when you stayed with us. Again, I do apologize and sincerely hope you will give us another try some day in the future. Please feel free to contact me at anytime www.marc.skvorc@klauskhotel.com. Thank you for the feedback which I assure you it will be used in the most constructive manner so that we can improve our performance.
All the best, Marc Skvorc

Reviewed April 14, 2008

I stayed in Klaus K for 3 nights during a business visit to Helsinki. It was recommended to me by a colleague, and I did not hesitate to book after reading the reviews here. So I had quite high expectations when I arrived - but unfortunately my expectations were far from met.

First Issue: At the reception they told me no TV was available due to a switch to Digital signal - but at least the Pay TV was free instead. No problem for one night, but after 3 nights there were still no TV signal, and no more movies to watch...

Second Issue: The room I was given was quite small and had no desk! For a business stay a desk to work at is essential and can be found in even the scruffiest hotel rooms. So if you're travelling on bussines, do not stay here!

Third Issue: I could not connect to the Wireless Internet provided free by the hotel. Even an IT guy employed by the hotel could not get it to work. This could indicate a problem with my laptop, but during the 3 dys I was logged on to a total of 7 other free Wireless accesspoints with no problems. Fortunately there's a café next door to Klaus K with free WLAN, which worked great.

So my conclusion: Nice looking designer hotel, but does not work at all for a business stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank CopenhagenHairy1

Dear Copenhagenhairy,
I am deeply saddened by the response and feeling you had in our hotel. I must admit that it was a very difficult time for the hotel with the internet and tv problems we faced at that time. However, the technical problems that we experienced at that time are now over. With the step into the digital world of tv, this has also allowed us to add additional tv channels and clear/strong internet capability. I have also added television channels such as CNBC to make our business clientele more comfortable. I do hope that you may try our hotel again in the future if you return to Helsinki. My email contact is www.marc.skvorc@klauskhotel.com. I really do appreciate the feedback and will communicate it to my team in the effort to better improve our overall service and personal attention.
Sincerely, Marc Skvorc

Reviewed March 26, 2008

This is a great hotel - one of the best I have stayed in.

Immaculate in many ways - particularly decor and a superb buffet breakfast (inc. reindeer!).

If anything, the rooms are small, but the quality of the hotel more than compensates.

The hotel bar is a classic vodka haven, although quite expensive.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2008

Klaus K is the design hotel in Helsinki. It's location is great and their King Size rooms are BIG! If you are a fan of the W hotels you will like Klaus K a lot. There is a similar ambiance.
Unfortunately the old building is not quite noise proof. The first part of our one night stay was on the left side of the building, which is apparently next to a club playing music from Cuba... After returning from the city in the evening and hearing the drum beats for some time we asked the friendly front desk to move us. We got moved to the right side of the building which was.... suffering from the noise (beats) from Klaus K's own night club... not good at all: why would a hotel in an old building chose revenue from a night club over happy guests? The room we got had a dirty towel on the floor and a bathrobe missing... While the breakfast was great the checkout was not that good. We complained about the noise but nothing helped... They staff is probably used to it... The staff asked if we needed a taxi, but we said that we were with our own car. This should have helped the staff to remind us that we could get 20% off from the nearby parking house as guests of the hotel.

In summary: a great hotel on a great location. It's W style in Helsinki but it's noise problem and many glitches in the service does not add up to a good overall result.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MichielM
HaveFunNow, Owner and General Manager at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2008

Dear MichielM,
Allow me to introduce myself, Marc Skvorc, General Manager of Klaus K.
I am very sorry for the experience you had at Klaus K with the noise disturbance. I am taking substantial measures to rectify the problem. In addition, I assure you that my intention is not to prioritize club guests over hotel guests. I really appreciate you coming forward with this problem but I am sorry it was not handled correctly and for the oversight of our other service issues. We are better than that and I hope you may give us another chance in the future. My contact information is on our website, if I may be of any assistance in the future it would be my sincere pleasure to welcome you back and handle your reservation personally. Thank you again. Best regards, Marc Skvorc