“Good business hotel great customer service!”

Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti
Ranked #32 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for two nights due to business meetings in the city. Hotel staff is polite helpful and welcoming, room I decent size and well equipped. Only down side is the location which is a bit off from the city center but not so bad overall. Good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Traveling4food

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel needs a makeover especially in the bathrooms. I only stayed here for one night, so I put up with the major issues in the bathroom. In short there was a stall shower and on the lower right hand side, the tiles at the base were separated from the wall, and a nice helping of mold and mildew behind them. To add insult to injury, I took a shower before I went to dinner the night I checked in, and the shower is not properly sealed at the bottom, allowing the water to drain in to the entire bathroom. So I had to use all my towels just to brush my teeth in a pool of dirty shower water.

I complained to the front desk and the manager called me to apologize. I told her that I was appareled that housekeeping supervision would let a room in that condition to pass inspection. But then again, I told her that there is obviously no supervision. She offered ways to make amends, but the damage was done. One point that further distressed me was that she said it was confined to my room and other rooms don't have the issues. This is not true, my colleague had the same problem with leaking water in his bathroom.

This hotel needs a complete inspection for needed repairs.

Room Tip: Inspect the room before you unpack. !
1  Thank nonnino
Heidi L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear Sir

Once again my deepest apologies for the inconvenience caused to you, due to
our bathroom. In the inspection there was no mold found in the bathroom.
The room is now under maintenance, and therefore not in use.
I have discussed tha maintenance matters with our housekeeping team,
and their importance in letting us know of any problems in the
rooms. The water leaking outside the shower cabin, is also a matter which
I have discussed with my maintenance. We will start changing
the sealing mechanisms in the shower cabins,

I started at this hotel this spring, and all feedback is very important to me,
so that I can make the necessary steps for correcting any problems.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Terrible, worn-out dump miles from anywhere. Worst thing is that the room I got was like an airless, suffocating prison cell - and there was nothing the very nice staff could do. Windows don't open, AC didn't work. Disgusting hotel. I gathered the stuffy room problem is even worse in summer. You have been warned.

Room Tip: Just don't book!
1  Thank Jonathan167
Heidi L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Sir

I am really sorry to hear, that your visit with us wasn't as good as expected.
I sincerely apologize for the fact, that there clearly must have been something
wrong with the air-con in your room. As I understood, you have mentioned
about the problem to our front desk team, and I am sure that they have forwarded
the message to our maintenance. This is of course very important
information for us, so that we are able to fix the problem. Unfortunately it is
true, that windows can't be opened, however the third window keeps the
traffic sound well outside.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. Feedback is very important for us, so
that we can improve our services. I sincerely hope that you will give us another
chance in the future, so that we can restore your faith in us. Please do not
hesitate to contact me for any further questions, e-mail: helsinki.hihw@restel.fi

Sincerely Yours

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I mainly chose this hotel as I stayed here before and liked it by then. Also, the location close to the seafront (nice view if you are on the right side) and across from a pretty decent shopping centre is quite good. A drawback is the large number of tour groups here.

I am a frequent guest at Holiday Inn and Crown Plaza hotels and thus know that it's hit-or-miss depending on the actualy property. This one seems to have gone for "miss" as of late.

The room itself is OK, no more than that. The bed is not overly comfortable and the Internet connection at times seems to get overloaded.

The lifts are a problem; not only do they make cranky noises, but you may well find yourself waiting for one for over 5 minutes during rush hour.

The reception staff is friendly, but not very helpful.

I booked an executive room, which supposedly includes "free soft drinks from the minibar". Only once inside, you find out that this is limited to one. Not a big deal, but goes to show how accurate they are in their descriptions.

As a Platinum member with a late flight out, I requested a late checkout. I am formally entitled to a 4 pm checkout, but they told me they could only make it 1 pm, as supposedly, the hotel was booked out for the next night. When I pushed, they made it 1.30 pm. If I needed any later, I would need to pay (didn't you just say the hotel is full?).

I then asked to speak to the general manager (as offered based on their satisfaction guarantee). She was not in and I was told she would call me in 5 minutes.

About 45 minutes later, she called and offered a 2pm checkout. I told her I did not find this acceptable and asked how come I could keep the room longer as long as I paid for it, but I could not peruse my entitlement to a free 4 pm checkout. She told me that I could certainly keep the room as long as I wanted, as they do have rooms available - but at a charge.

We finally settled for 3 pm, after my chance to get some rest before a long journey was ruined. I was and am not satisfied. So much about their satisfaction guarantee. They are not exactly cheap either.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
1  Thank Koalyboy
Heidi L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Sir

Thank you for staying with us. We hope you enjoyed our hotel location and the nice view from the room. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. As a platinum member you are entitled to a late check out until 14:00, free of charge, this is subject to availability. Ambassador members are also entitled to a 16:00 late check out in all Intercontinental hotels. I reassure you that I will go through once again all the benefits of priority club members with our team members, in our next meeting. I sincerely apologize that our service
didn't rise up to the level it should be.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, I hope that you haven't lost your faith in us, and that you will visit us also in the future. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask. For further inquiries you may contact
management through e-mail: helsinki.hihw@restel.fi

Sincerely Yours

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Business hotel next to a highway, a lot of office buildings and a power plant. Rooms are clean and quiet enough yet a bit on the expensive side, as is everything else - I've never paid more for a beer than in the lobby bar here. It's bit uninspiring place to stay, but the metro station is fortunately close by for excursions to nicer parts of the city. There is also a small shopping center practically next door. The hotel customers seem to mostly be Finnish businessmen and foreign tourist groups.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Arqh
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Would check out of here immediately if I hadn't pre-paid for three nights. Thu 16th August our floor was full of drunk and extremely noisy Germans and only got to sleep at 5am. Phoned reception twice only to be met with apathetic disinterest. Asked for room re-allocation and got the same response. German tourists are still here (17 August). Will see what the night brings. Awful breakfast-had to clear previous guests' plates and clean own table. Floors in commom area are filthy. Shoes stick to the floor, especially in the elevator. Mean with towels, aircon hardly works, staff don't care. Extremely disappointing.

Room Tip: Check whether drunk Germans are in town before booking this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris G
Vehmas, Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Chris G,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write us a review. I am deeply sorry for the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us.

There was severe problems and harm caused by this one group. Our staff could have been stricter with the group, even though one of the most troublesome person was removed from the hotel. The General Manager and her front desk team have now gone through the service procedures and the actions needed, if similar kind of situation occurs in the future.

I have been told that our front desk manager has met you and discussed about this incident at the hotel. I also understood that she was able to resolve the matter with you. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel management directly (helsinki.hihw@restel.fi) if you have any further questions.

I sincerely hope that you haven't lost your trust in Holiday Inn and hope you would give us another chance in the future to make your stay as best as it can be.

Sincelery Yours
Timo Vehmas
Brand Manager

Reviewed August 15, 2012

The hotel is in Roullahati. You can commute from Airport to taxi. Bus + metro(only if you know the place). Very few people is aware of the location. Near metor station and mcdonald. Food is expensive. Breakfast is good and has vairety. Taxis available for drops. Rooms have all modern facilities. You need to carry all-country compatible charger. Wifi is free but nobody is there to set it up. So I cud not use it. House keeping is fast but very few understands english.

Room Tip: Any room is good.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business