My two children and I stayed here for 4 nights, Monday to Friday, in February.
Staff: We found the reception staff very friendly and helpful, supplying maps, providing directions and tips for the week (including a tip that the Olympic stadium was offering ice-skating that week!) ; they also booked our taxi to the airport and let us stay in the apartment 2 hours past the normal departure time.
Apartment: We got a “triple room” apartment which turned out to be one bedroom with two single beds in it, plus a big sofa bed in the main living room / kitchenette. Perfect for our needs.
This was apartment 244 (Building 2, 4th floor) we were opposite the little lift and suffered no noise at all (apart from a German lady neighbour who once spent 20 minutes screaming angrily into her phone at midnight in the staircase somewhere). It was nice and warm, nice views too. Good security with electronic key cards. We slept well.
Cleanliness: Since we were only there for 4 nights, we did not experience the cleaning during our stay. The apartment was superficially clean enough when we arrived. On closer inspection, the kitchen chairs were fabric-upholstered and the fabric was quite dirty.. also my sofa-bad mattress did not look too nice when I removed the sheet to fold it up.. probably par for the course for 3-star hotels! Also the cutlery and crockery which I presume had been cleaned by the previous occupants were not really perfectly clean either.. safest to wash before use I think!
Facilities: There was one small TV with a few channels, yes, some programs were in English too. The wifi was free and worked well on all our devices. The kitchenette in the main living room was small and basic and functional: fridge/freezer, sink, hob, microwave (with built-in grill), kettle, coffeemaker. Shampoo and bath / body wash was provided.. as well as washing up liquid, kitchen towels, bin bags etc for the kitchen, but no hand soap (I had anticipated that and brought my own from another hotel :-)
The provided bath towels were adequate. If you like really big ones, bring your own.
We reserved the communal sauna for ourselves on one evening, it was very nice!
Location: as many other reviewers have explained, this is in a nice quiet location, a few minutes walk from tram, and about 10 minutes walking distance from the central train station with its shops. But if you want to be right in the middle of life, with many pubs and restaurants immediately next door, this is not for you.
My top tips:
- Bring your own hand-soap.
- Bring your own towels if you want really big ones.
- Try out the sauna, and go reserve your “hour” there early else you will find it's already booked
- Wash cutlery/crockery before use
- Ref travel, I was considering the expensive “Helsinki card” for us all to provide transport etc. But in the end I just bought 4-day unlimited city travel card (covering tram, bus, ferry to Suomenlinna etc etc) from one of the R-Kioski places which worked out FAR cheaper (€20 for an adult for 4 days)
I plan to write reviews of the Helsinki attractions that we visited soon. Please ask if you have any questions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hellsten Helsinki Parliament Hotel is situated in the city centre of Helsinki, in a pleasant and quiet residential area. The surrounding area has several well-known attractions such as the Parliament House, the National Museum, the Finlandia Hall and the Temple Church. The hotel is situated on a peaceful street with interesting shops and restaurants, which is only nine minutes walk from the Central railway station. The 43 rooms in the hotel are varying in size, from one room apartments of 24 sqm to two bed room apartments up to 75 sqm. Each apartment is individually designed, Scandinavian style. Of course rooms are equipped with telephone, satellite TV and free internet access, and fully equipped kitchen. The front desk at Parliament is open on weekdays from 8 am in the morning till 8 pm in the evening, and will cater for all your needs and inquiries. Other hours there is an electronic surveillance of the premises and you can do your own check-in round the clock with an automated check in system. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Hotwire so you can book your Hellsten Helsinki Parliament reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hellsten Helsinki Parliament Hotel Helsinki